Author Topic: Geofence unstable / not triggering every time  (Read 666 times)

Offline Mikthemonster

Geofence unstable / not triggering every time
« on: May 17, 2017, 04:03:55 pm »
Hi,

I find that the geofence is very unstable. Right now I have been at home for 20 minutes, but my status is still Away. This problem happens very often so I find geofence Is not working properly. how can I debug this?

Best regards,
Michael.

Offline Jamr

• 007 Systems
Re: Geofence unstable / not triggering every time
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 07:13:40 pm »
What does your mobile device tell you when entering and leaving your geofence?

Offline TDehnke

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 10:03:58 pm »
Do you have app on your phone to check your GPS location? When you are home but your geofence status is still away check your GPS location and if your geofence status changes the issue if with your phone. Some battery saving setting interfere with GPS information.

Offline packman

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 07:19:34 pm »
I have the same problem. Sometimes it triggers before I get home, sometimes when I get home, and sometimes after I get home. Changing the radius does not help. Does anyone know how frequently geofence checks for the location?

Online Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 08:07:20 pm »
I have been very happy with iPhone Locator.  It has dynamic polling so the closer you get to home, the more often it pings the phone. 

I also have a scene triggered by the garage door being opened to immediately ping the phone, and ping it every minute for 5 minutes (in case I am leaving). There are times either iCloud or Vera is tardy getting the information updated so we get door opening alerts for a minute or so, but it works most of the time.

Another bonus is the location data can be mapped in Data Mine 2.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline Jamr

• 007 Systems
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 01:43:54 am »
My and wifes Nexus 5X are rock solid. They send leave and arrive commands at the same place  when leaving and entering, every time.
This sounds more and more like a hardware issue.
What phones are you using?

Offline packman

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 12:19:52 pm »
Do you have app on your phone to check your GPS location? When you are home but your geofence status is still away check your GPS location and if your geofence status changes the issue if with your phone. Some battery saving setting interfere with GPS information.

Yes I'm using GPS status. It's set to keep the GPS running when the the device screen is turned off. The phone is set to allow GPS status and the Vera app to run in the background.

Offline packman

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 12:22:10 pm »

I'm using a Huawei Honor 8.

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 01:08:24 pm »
Also, make sure the wifi is not disabled. As it's also used for improving accuracy.
Wifi greatly improves accuracy, and if you have a habit of manually disabling it, this might cause the triggering to not trigger every time.

John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline packman

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 01:36:24 pm »
Also, make sure the wifi is not disabled. As it's also used for improving accuracy.
Wifi greatly improves accuracy, and if you have a habit of manually disabling it, this might cause the triggering to not trigger every time.

Yes Wifi is enabled.

Offline Jamr

• 007 Systems
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 12:28:38 pm »

Seems there are a few responses for GPS problems with that phone. You may want to go through them and see if any relalte to you.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Huawei+Honor+8+gps+problems&oq=Huawei+Honor+8+gps+problems&aqs=chrome..69i57.7220j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Offline michelhamelin

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 12:55:05 pm »
Same problem for me Iphone 6s and my wife Iphone 6

Offline Mikthemonster

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 02:34:50 pm »
I'm using iPhone 6s.

The GPS signs on the phone might show my current and correct location (on Google maps) and still vera is not updating. It seems like vera is missing the first "change" event, and then it is not firing the next time GPS data is updated.

My phone is supposed to show a message when i leave and enter home. This message is not always coming as expected.

Do you have to start the vera app on the phone manually after a reboot or will it start automatically?

Offline packman

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 06:48:07 pm »

Seems there are a few responses for GPS problems with that phone. You may want to go through them and see if any relalte to you.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Huawei+Honor+8+gps+problems&oq=Huawei+Honor+8+gps+problems&aqs=chrome..69i57.7220j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Nothing I could find that really applies to me other than someone had a problem with 3rd party apps not locking onto GPS but that was a while ago and there was a patch to fix it. My GPS works extremely well with Google maps and Waze (actually better than any phone I've owned). It locks onto the location very fast and the location accuracy is very good. But thanks anyways.

Offline Jamr

• 007 Systems
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 07:08:13 pm »
If you have not yet, give Vera a call and see if they can help diagnose the problem. Worth a shot.