Author Topic: Copy a PLEG setup to a second PLEG device  (Read 398 times)

Offline IslandMan54

Copy a PLEG setup to a second PLEG device
« on: May 18, 2017, 04:33:13 pm »
Greetings,
I have PLEG controlling a lot of things in my home, thermostats being one of them. I'm struggling to find a way to have heating and cooling schedules so I thought I would just create a PLEG for heating season and another for cooling. Is there a way to copy the one I have created (attached) to the other PLEG's I want to create rather than retyping it all?
Thanks,
Dave

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
Re: Copy a PLEG setup to a second PLEG device
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 07:38:35 pm »
I am not sure how to merge or split PLEG, but here is what I did for dealing with seasons and schedules.

I set the heating mode on if the outside temp < 60F. Cooling mode of outside temp > 65F. Very handy in the spring and fall when you may have to cool in the afternoon, but heat in the middle of the night. With this, we never have a need to deal with anything but temperature set points.

I set up 3 schedules - daytime weekday, daytime Saturday, and daytime Sunday. Each have different true times. Weekday 5:30 am to 9:30 am. Saturday 7 am to 11 pm.  Sunday 7 am to 9:30 pm. I typically use the !daytime condition to know it is nighttime. I do not think a PLEG schedule can span midnight or at least I could not get it to work from 9:30 pm to 5:30 am so I went with the opposite.

I use the schedules to set the Night Mode. As you can see, night starts at 9:30 pm except Saturday night, and ends at 5:30 am except Saturday and Sunday. Night Mode is ignored if in Vacation Mode. Night Mode overrides Away Mode (which is almost identical from the security standpoint) and is nota big deal if we get home after Night Mode. If we are gone overnight, we use Vacation Mode.

Lastly, my thermostat setpoints are set according to House Mode. Home or Away, heating is set to 68F and cooling to 75F. Night 65F and 72F, and Vacation 60F and 80F.

So, home or away, the thermostat is setback in the evening (we like a cooler house to sleep) and restored in the morning.  When we vacation, it is manually set on VeraMate and stays until we manually reset it.  We typically change to Away about 2 hours from home to allow time to heat up or cool off the house, depending on the extremity of the outside temperature, and the indoor temperature.

Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline IslandMan54

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 05:17:55 am »
Hi Don,
Thanks for the ideas, I'll work on implementing them. If I can't get it to work, I'll just create a Cooling PLEG.
I have to be careful it doesn't screw up, heaven forbid it's a tad cooler in here. My wife would like to live on the equator and thinks 75 and above is a nice temp.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 06:27:42 pm »
I hear ya.  My wife was similar and we had to settle on a compromise temperature, but menopause changed that.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline MNB

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 01:56:37 pm »
Hey Don, is it possible to share your PLEG solution as to how you implemented it sounds like a great Heating/Cooling strategy. Mike
Edge-1.7.2607, VRI06-1LX Dimr (6), VS05-1LX Sw (4), GE ZW3002 Dimr (1), HA01C Outlet (12), HA02C Sw (6), HA04C Sw (4), GE Sw (2), HA05 Sw (3), MiniMote Contr (5), HSM200/100 Sensor (2), ZW100A Sensor (8), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (6) Kwikset Locks (3), F18918W (1) & IP3M-9 (6) Cam's

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 03:26:25 pm »
Here is the logic report for this particular PLEG which also includes outside lights. I tried exporting the device but could not get it to work.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 03:30:50 pm »
To the OP, have you tried export and then import? MNB, here is an export of my PLEG controlling the thermostat and the lights. I think you import it in PLEG but I have not tried it.

Offline IslandMan54

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 06:02:07 am »
Don,
I have not attempted to export or import into a new PLEG, I'll back up my system, Export then Import into a new PLEG and report back.
Thanks,
Dave
PS, thanks for the logic as well, I see some things I have not thought of trying. I got frustrated the other day and ditched the whole HVAC control part of my system, was making me nuts, putting it back to heat when it was 90 degrees out.

Offline Bobhaskils

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 09:15:37 am »
I have tried it - it does not work!

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 09:57:16 am »
I opened my PLEG - Test [189] device and attempted a restore of PLEG - Environment[162].  It seemed to restore, or at least, PLEG said it was successful.

I closed PLEG - Test[189], opened PLEG - Environment[162], closed it, and reopened PLEG - Test[189], all of the properties, schedules, conditions, and actions are there so it worked for me.

Offline IslandMan54

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 11:07:45 am »
Don,
It works on your system as you have all the devices. When I try to run the verify after loading it, it came up with a few errors and won't load.
Apparently the restore is only meant for the system it's created on. I didn't go as far as trying to edit the file, felt risky.
I will try to re-create your logic on my system and let you know how I make out.
Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it.
Dave
PS Why is your PLC version 8.21? Mine says the latest is 8.11.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:13:59 am by IslandMan54 »

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 11:22:21 am »
I guess that makes sense - the device number have to exist for PLEG to work.

Here is a screen shot of the PLC app. Not sure why you are running an older version.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 11:27:09 am »
Perhaps you were looking at your PLEG version, which mine is 8.11.

Offline IslandMan54

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 11:52:34 am »
Yes, that was is, was looking at PLEG not PLC, sorry.