Author Topic: Static IP in WiFi-client mode - is it possible?  (Read 1896 times)

Offline sm2117

Static IP in WiFi-client mode - is it possible?
« on: June 29, 2018, 07:49:51 pm »
Hi guys. This one's got me stumped.

Has anyone successfully assigned a static IP address to their Vera in WiFi Client mode?

With my VeraPlus connected to my router through a wired Ethernet connection, I can assign a static IP via MAC address on the router no problem. When I change Vera's settings to connect via WiFi, I can disconnect Vera from Ethernet and force it to connect to the router over WiFi using DHCP. This also works. Obviously a different MAC address is used in this case so I log back into my router and set a new static IP for this MAC address... BUT, no matter how many times I try, when I power-cycle Vera, it never connects. I end up with a flashing service light and need to reset Vera's network settings in order to get it back.

I even tried setting a static IP on Vera itself (instead of through the router) under its network settings but it seems that any changes you make here don't stick if you're set to connect to Vera through WiFi. If I switch back to manual network settings and plug in using Ethernet, I can happily set any static IP address I want.

Is this just not possible over WiFi? No idea why this is happening coz I have a bunch of other WiFi devices with static IP addresses assigned by my router which work happily.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 06:21:55 am by sm2117 »

Offline Don Phillips

Re: Static IP in WiFi-client mode - is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 10:06:31 am »
I have a Vera 3 and have had success making the wi-fi settings stick on the first try.  To keep the IPs consistent, I also do reserve both of the MAC's in the router. Once set, the Vera Plus should get the same IP address assigned to wired or to wi-fi (different IP's, of course, but always the same IP).

I seem to recall seeing lots of issues with wi-fi on the Plus, but I thought they were recently resolved.  Here is one discussion:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=36370.0#lastPost

Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101, Everspring motion sensor, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa

Offline sm2117

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 10:09:51 pm »
Thanks for the reply. So I think I've finally worked out the problem... The static IP I was trying to assign to Vera was in the 192.168.1.100 - 150 range. This appears to be within the default range of addresses Vera's in-built DHCP server serves up.

So it's working now on a lower IP range but what's still annoying is it seems that as long as you are in Wifi-client mode, you cannot a) disable Vera's DHCP server and b) turn off SSID broadcasting. Setting either of these options to "off" on the network settings page simply never take.

Is there any way to change this config at a filesystem level, especially the SSID broadcast? I'd prefer this was disabled if possible.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 08:37:52 am »
Can you tell step-by-step how to do it?
I try to assign static IP to Vera but whenever I change DHCP settings to the static IP and put numbers I want, it reverts back to its DHCP assigned IP.

I tried various IP's (by default my router support 192.168.8.100 - 192.168.8.200, so I tried the numbers above .150) and nothing works :/

Offline aa6vh

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 10:31:34 am »
Is there any way to change this config at a filesystem level, especially the SSID broadcast? I'd prefer this was disabled if possible.

Place the following statement in your LUA start-up code section. It will shut down your wifi. Hopefully the new owners will fix the underlining problem someday!

Code: [Select]
os.execute("wifi down")