Author Topic: VeraSecure  (Read 5838 times)

Offline TDehnke

• Sr. Newbie
Re: VeraSecure
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 05:31:26 am »
twka90 what Vera controller and OS did you migrate from and what Homeseer controller are you using now? For whatever reason (drives I?m guessing) I?ve found that Nortek and Aeotec products to be noticeably more responsive/reliable on the VeraSecure than the HomeTroller S6. As I have a bunch of Nortek and Aeotec products . . . . . . . .

The main reason a bunch of us upgrade from the VeraPlus to the VeraSecure was for the more RAM and CPU the VeraLink was just a bonus. On a side note I wish Mios would list the last time a plugin was updated and what OS that its compatible with UI5, UI7 or both.

As much as I really like the Amazon Echo hardware I think I?ll soon be joining you Richard on the Google Home as that is slowly looking to be the better software for my needs.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 10:45:50 am »
but mostly because I was running out of memory.

The main reason a bunch of us upgrade from the VeraPlus to the VeraSecure was for the more RAM and CPU the VeraLink was just a bonus.

And this is one of the reasons I left. Every year I was in need of an upgrade for unexplained issues that I thought were related to under powered hardware (could have also been more then just that too). From the Lite to Edge to Plus in more then one house I have. From 128Mb to 256Mb to 512Mb it just wasn't enough (mediocre upgrades) and just always enough to keep me good for a few months then hold out until the new vera came out. ui7 growing pains and such were just icing on the cake. But my vera system was never just up. I had wifi power outlets that they were plugged into to be able to run a remote reboot, I had one vera talking to another vera to check in and make sure they are online. I made things work and I got good at redundancy and backup plans, but it only masked the real issue.

I can honestly say I don't have a Wifi outlet or watchdogs checking up on both houses anymore. I also have not had a lockup or random reboot (besides power outages, which it auto reboots backup) in over a year.

There is threads going on here now, how Vera Reboots after internet connection restore. I can't say weather the secure hardware is going to fix all hangups, reboots and such but yes the hardware upgrade is better then the previous options for the time being. Although prices are now jumping pretty good too. It's no longer in the 99 entry level HA controller category (smartthings, Iris) so I hope it doesn't act like it is either.

Offline dzmiller

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2017, 03:04:37 pm »
It's not a standard as it only works with 2gig and vera. That's also a downside but the upside should be longer range and more secure transmission.

I have had multiple false alerts with zwave smoke alarms and Vera, so I'm fine with the new 2GIG protocol.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2017, 04:48:57 pm »
I have had multiple false alerts with zwave smoke alarms and Vera, so I'm fine with the new 2GIG protocol.

That should have nothing to do with the wireless frequency it uses to transmit. I have 4 Z-combo's and the only problem I had with them was the heartbeat issues (which I think vera corrected) and that was only with VERA. You very well could have a problem with your smokes or the brand or something but it shouldn't be due to z-wave vs. 2GIG protocol.

Offline dzmiller

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 06:30:04 pm »

That should have nothing to do with the wireless frequency it uses to transmit. I have 4 Z-combo's and the only problem I had with them was the heartbeat issues (which I think vera corrected) and that was only with VERA. You very well could have a problem with your smokes or the brand or something but it shouldn't be due to z-wave vs. 2GIG protocol.

I have zcombos and vera has reported smoke several times when the devices themselves did not trip. There is ample evidence that ui5 trapped errors that are not handled successfully in ui7.

I suspect the 2gig devices will have their own vera code. An alarm company can't stay in business reporting false smoke and water alarm activation. If I had been traveling the fire department would have broken into my house to save my dog. Vera blamed the devices, of course. But the false alerts have occurred on multiple devices from different vendors.

After having multiple false smoke and water alarms (I was home for all, and the devices themselves did not trip), I do not trust vera for security and safety functions. If the vera secure 2gig stuff is handled separately in UI7 I may give them another chance. I'm happy to hear that their security plan is not some half-assed attempt to do these functions by incorporating existing z-wave devices.

Offline TDehnke

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 07:38:30 pm »
Integlikewhoa RAM usage for the Vera and Homeseer do not scale the same way let me give you some context. What is your average RAM usage for your Homeseer right now somewhere around 70% of 4GB stick? When I recreated what I had on my VeraPlus that only had 256mb of RAM on to a HomeTroller S6 I was averaging 93% of a 4GB stick. The VeraSecure has 512MB of RAM. Not all Vera run the same firmware, I can confirm that the VeraSecure does not reboot after internet connection restore.  I?m not fished moving my system over to VeraSecure yet (lack of time on my part) but from everything I?ve seen so far the VeraSecure looks to be a good Vera product.

Offline TDehnke

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2017, 02:08:40 am »
I never knew about HS3 until now so I?ll just shut up lol At the time the S6 had the ports I needed on board and the spec looked good on paper, the ports were good the performance not so.

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2017, 04:37:53 am »
Hi guys, I really hate to be the party pooper but....

Please try to keep the topic clean and tidy with useful information about VeraSecure.

If you have things to add that are related to other gateways, don't hesitate to open e dedicated topic.

Thank you for the understanding.
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline pascalw

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2017, 05:49:42 pm »
Anyone experiencing slow or no execution on time scheduled scenes?
I have a couple of daily routines (sunrise - blinds up, some lights on); night time (lights on, blinds closed) etc. I created all these scenes on my Vera3 and migrated with all devices to Vera Secure. Since than I fully moved to using Vera Secure exclusively. Devices all work and scenes run, but esp. the scenes run unreliably. They mostly never auto trigger on time set, they do when I select the scene and run manually. But they mostly need 2 to 3 times to start. On the iPhone app I get a small spinning gear when I run the scene, first click nothing happens, second or third try I have 90% success to run the scene.
Appears there is a process 'sleep' timer that puts the box in a state where it doesn't track timed scenes. Any scene that is button triggered or triggered from another devices (like my alarm) works okay most times.

Any insights from others on the Secure?

Offline rx7kevin

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2017, 02:56:06 pm »
Is the built-in 3G cellular active with the purchase or only when used in conjunction with the VeraSecure? Will there be the ability to activate this for backup access without the service?

Offline TDehnke

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2017, 04:17:25 pm »
Has anyone tested the VeraSecure with 2GIG-PIR1-345 ? How is the delay?

Offline JAnguita

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 06:53:38 am »
When this controller be available in Europe?

Offline spiffywombat

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2017, 01:29:06 am »
Hi, I have recently purchased a Vera Secure, its been great. Now im trying to get my 2gig Go panel to be a secondary controller to the Vera Secure. I have found instructions for Vera Lite, saying to press the "+" button (https://suretydiy.com/forums/topic/vera-and-2gig/) to make this happen, but there is no such button on the Vera Secure. I found some seperate instructions (file:///home/jack/Downloads/VeraSecure_QSG_Z-Wave_Overview.pdf) that seemed to point at using the select button to select Z-wave and then press sync breifly. Is this the same functionality as the "+" button on the vera lite? If not what would be the best way to do this? I've tried every combination I can come up with and im fairly stumped.

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2017, 08:56:21 am »
I have found instructions for Vera Lite, saying to press the "+" button (https://suretydiy.com/forums/topic/vera-and-2gig/) to make this happen, but there is no such button on the Vera Secure.

Hello there, indeed, pressing sync briefly is this the same functionality as the "+" button on the vera lite. Basically, you have to put VeraSecure in include mode. This is what the + button does on VeraLite.

VeraSecure can be put in include mode from the interface as well. Dashboard -> Devices-> Add device -> Generic Z-wave device.
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm