Author Topic: VeraSecure  (Read 16077 times)

Offline richardbowman

Re: VeraSecure
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 07:54:19 pm »
Figured on this thread might be interesting for people here to review the issues I've run into with Vera Secure and the cellular backup provided:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,49801.0.html

Short story, a couple days without internet access at an empty vacation home rung up ****15**** special $4.95 data charges, charging me over $75. Customer support told me this is to be expected, and offered to refund this only if I could prove the system had Internet the entire time.

Offline MichaelCoffin

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2018, 10:26:06 am »
VeraProtect is apparently being offered at 50% off for existing Vera customers:

http://getvera.com/services/veraprotect/

I can't find the T's & C's for this offer, is it for the life of the service contract or just for a few months?  Anyone have a link to the actual terms?

I would consider VeraSecure if the monitoring fees stayed at $9.95/month, my biggest concern with VeraSecure is that only one monitoring service is available - if I'm unhappy with the price or performance I have no choice in monitoring providers.

-MC

Offline wilme2

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2018, 12:38:09 pm »
VeraProtect is apparently being offered at 50% off for existing Vera customers:

http://getvera.com/services/veraprotect/

I can't find the T's & C's for this offer, is it for the life of the service contract or just for a few months?  Anyone have a link to the actual terms?

I would consider VeraSecure if the monitoring fees stayed at $9.95/month, my biggest concern with VeraSecure is that only one monitoring service is available - if I'm unhappy with the price or performance I have no choice in monitoring providers.

-MC

I need real details on how this works.  I mean you need to spell out under what circumstances they will call out fire/EMS/police.  If this requires the use of house modes, that is a deal-killer.  What I would want is to use the DSC plug-in device and monitor my REAL alarm system and call out when that goes into alarm.  But I am pretty sure that is not the model and Vera Protect is only for those who want Vera and its directly attached devices to be part of the alarm system.  Which goes back to this thread, which essentially says you would still have to build it yourself.  http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,50540.0.html

Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2018, 05:18:41 pm »
I agree with Wilme2.

One of the main reasons I chose a Vera was I did not want to pay a service and with VeraMate, I become the monitoring service.

When we get notifications, we open VeraMate, look at the 4 cameras to see what is happening, and if I need to call police/fire/EMS, I will call.

My next "piece" is a sensor on my smoke alarms so I can get a notification when they are activated. The next "piece" after that is a flow sensor on my water line so if in Away or Vacation Mode, and I get a water flow, I get a notification.

Just knowing what is happening is good enough for me.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb

Offline wilme2

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2018, 04:53:04 pm »
When we get notifications, we open VeraMate, look at the 4 cameras to see what is happening, and if I need to call police/fire/EMS, I will call.

When out of your local 911 area (which in Dallas and Houston can just be blocks away from home), you need the local number to the 911 center where your house is located.  There are national centers than can forward you to the local 911 Center/PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point) based on a given address, but better to find the local number (often referred to by the local 911 operator as something like their Out of City/Out of State number) and program it into your phone.  No fun to have a real emergency, call the wrong 911 operator, and it take multiple transfers to get to the right one.
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2018, 08:56:26 pm »
Good point. I have the local numbers in my phone, including the condo manager's number. All with +1 in case I call them when overseas.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb