We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera2 behind a non-changeable router  (Read 2297 times)

Offline PeerF

Vera2 behind a non-changeable router
« on: December 02, 2010, 07:56:43 am »
I'm sorry if this is too basic...
I have ordered a Vera 2 to be delivered and want to install behind a router. The Router is a WIFI router from an external compay with dynamic IP. Very difficult to get any changes agreed with them - but do I need to request change to the Router, eg opening ports or similar changes?
If so I would like to initiate the request now - since I will be driving 550KM to the house where it is going to be implemented. Can you assist me or direct me to a place to find information. I would like to request the changes in one go as each change request costs 30Euro if performed remotely - and 60euro on-site..and then I have to wait to coordinate both of us to be at the place at the same time.
Very much appreciate feedback.

Offline SquareConnectMat

Re: Vera2 behind a non-changeable router
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 07:21:15 pm »
@Peerf

I think the general Vera forum may be a better place to ask this, but my understanding is that no ports or such like need to be setup. SQ Remote uses mymios service to locate  and communicate to your vera when it can't find the Vera locally. I believe the vera unit initiates the connection to mymios, and so I dont think there are any issues regarding router configuration.

More  experienced and knowledgeable Vera users can correct me...

Mat

Offline Mark H.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 08:01:14 pm »
When you first get the Vera Controller, plug it's Ethernet cable into you laptop or PC. Then connect to it's Vera wifi and logon into it's settings and  make sure you setup the routers net and wifi settings "as a switch"

You shouldn't need to have them change any settings on their router unless they are doing some extremely strict firewall blocking.
Vera 2
Firmware: 1.5.101 Zwave: 3.20

Offline PeerF

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 04:52:26 am »
Thanks to both
Since I'm going to manage the vera2 externally from the internet through a ISP owned router I thought I should request port 80 to be open (currently closed). In some of the Vera documents it refer to port 80 and in others not... The challenge for me I have no access to the router and need to request support every time.