We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Idea for Integrating Hard Wired Smoke Alarms  (Read 25711 times)

Offline dzmiller

Re: Idea for Integrating Hard Wired Smoke Alarms
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2014, 06:25:59 pm »
It might be easier to just get a couple of zwave smoke detectors. Unlike the Nest units, these seem to work as expected.

Offline fullmoonguru

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2014, 09:21:25 pm »
We looked into them but that's not what I've been reading.  Sounds to me like they're still having problems with false alarms.  Anyway, it's new construction and they're installing 6 smoke alarms.  They're all going to be connected.  I've realized that I can run a wire to a 4 square box in the garage ceiling.  In that box will be the relay and a Mimo Lite which we'll also be using to control the garage door.  So I think I'm all set on this one but I still have these questions for retrofit applications.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2014, 10:23:14 pm »
The wired smoked detectors have an optional relay you can buy (that is designed for this purpose) that is tripped when any of the smoke detectors are tripped.
It's wired to the same 3 wrires that tie the smoke detectors together.

You can use that to signal a wired door switch. I actually have it connected to my alarm system ... and that is connected to my Vera.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:25:00 pm by RichardTSchaefer »

Offline qwen3579

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 10:05:46 am »
I wired my relay to an Everspring door contact and simply placed the module outside the box. I used double-sided tape to afix it to the ceiling right next to one of my smoke detectors. It's one that is in a corner, so I placed it behind the detector and you can't really see it.

Offline Belkbuzze

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 08:31:29 am »
Hi all!

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread again. It's the closest one to what I want to do. I've read it twice and I am still a bit confused.

I'm kind of a noob so please don't assume I know the basics if you elect to to me a favour by answering this post.

So, what I want to do is integrating my Kiddie interconnected hardwired 120v system to a DSC 1616 panel. I just want the panel to know if the alarm is tripped, nothing else.

From what I've read in this thread, I'll need to buy the Kiddie SM120x relay.

This is where I get a bit lost. Where in the circuit should I put the relay? Between the panel and a smoke detector or between two smoke detector? Does it even matter?

Then, how should I wire it? I've looked the instruction manual for the relay but I'm not sure one of the 4 figure applies to what I want to do.

You guys mentioned that the relay normally closed, normally opened and 9v output should be connected to a door contact or something.. Can't I simply connect the wires from the relay to the panel? If a contact is needed, can you explain why? I'd like to understand the concept of how it works.

Last question, I've seen a video on YouTube where a resistor was used along with the relay. Is it necessary? What does it do and I should I connect it?

I know it would be ideal to wait until I have all the devices in hand, but my wife insist on being sure we can connect the smoke the detector to the alarm before ordering everything.. I'll get into my beta questions later on.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:51:00 am by Belkbuzze »

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2017, 09:30:45 pm »
All of the smoke alarms have a RED wire which is a signal wire (5V between the white wire and red wire to signal a trip). (i.e. they are all wired in parallel ... same with the relay)

You can install this relay next to ANY smoke detector ... then you will have access to the
Black/White (110V)
Red/White (Same white as above) 5 Volt Signal.
This will cause the relay to trip when the alarm is triggered.
Then you use the relay contacts to trip a zone on the DSC. You will probably need to put some resistors in the circuit to conform with the wired zone termination you have configured your alarm system with (Single, Double, or NO termination).

I do this, but I also have a relay, triggered by Vera that will inject a 9V battery onto the Red/White wire ... then I have whole house alerts!