Author Topic: Does this video doorbell installation meet code?  (Read 505 times)

Offline majorcuddles

Does this video doorbell installation meet code?
« on: June 11, 2017, 04:00:43 pm »
Hi team! This question isnt Vera specific, but I trust our community's collective knowledge...

I bought a new construction home in December. I just found out that the builder's video doorbell installation approach involved having a powerstrip put behind the drywall. It looks a little janky. Does this meet code? (I live in Texas)

I'm curious about whether I should challenge the builder to resolve this installation approach under the new home warranty.

Offline Mike Yeager

Re: Does this video doorbell installation meet code?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 04:17:43 pm »
I'm willing to bet that the answer is no. I know it wouldn't fly here in Florida...

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 04:33:17 pm »
Ask your building official but I suspect it is. It appears to be readily accessible.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline majorcuddles

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 05:25:08 pm »
Does acceptability generally depend on the accessability of it? I cant tell where the power strip terminates in there. I guess i'm concerned that they might have it spliced in with just electrical tape covering two wires together. It just seemed really unusual when I saw it.

Ask your building official but I suspect it is. It appears to be readily accessible.

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 06:40:52 pm »
I'm willing to bet that the answer is no. I know it wouldn't fly here in Florida...

Seconded. Now if that strip was a mains outlet suitably encased and fastened to eg a stud it might pass, but a power strip in-wall? That's a fire hazard.

@majorcuddls: However, in Texas it might be allowed. Checking with your local code enforcement to confirm this setup is up to code would be your best bet. If it's not up to code and it causes a fire down the road, your insurance adjuster will have a field day and you may end up not getting an insurance pay-out.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:43:08 pm by BOFH »
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline Priest

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 09:19:34 am »
If the entire section of the wall there was a tap can (metal box), the power strip was plugged into an outlet that was in the box, and the metal box is accessible to open, then yes it would fly here.  If that is just in the wall.... the dolphins are a flying tap, the power strip is a concealed outlet, the connection to the power strip may be a flying tap..... all of it is bad unless its in a can.

Cut the wall and put in a recessed can.  Find the connection for the power strip and extend it to an outlet installed properly in the can.

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 11:11:04 am »
Cut the wall and put in a recessed can.  Find the connection for the power strip and extend it to an outlet installed properly in the can.

Better yet, do as you suggested and get the installer to come back and do it properly.
Devon UK 240V 50Hz
Now on Homeseer

Offline krmccreight

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 11:00:18 pm »
I am going to say that it certainly does not meet code. That is a contractor cutting a corner like a champ right there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline majorcuddles

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 12:29:58 am »
Hi all. I just wanted to say thanks for the broad feedback. Y'all have helped give me confidence in my 'gut' assessment that this installation was not robust and should be reassessed.
Thanks so much again! More to follow at some point on the builder's response!

Offline PrincessCleavage

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 02:23:34 am »
A bit off topic but which (if any) video doorbell would you recommend for incorporation with Vera (hopefully motion detection trigger) and perhaps key placed microphones around the house so you can quick talk with who ever uses the doorbell? Please move to appropriate forum if needed.

Offline Priest

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 08:36:56 am »
Hi all. I just wanted to say thanks for the broad feedback. Y'all have helped give me confidence in my 'gut' assessment that this installation was not robust and should be reassessed.
Thanks so much again! More to follow at some point on the builder's response!

Were I to find this out in the field with my work, at this point I would do a "site review".  Pull a few light switches and receptacles and check for electrical code compliance, test for proper ground and for swapped hot while your at it. If you have any friends that are in HVAC or building inspection, find out if any have thermal cameras and check for hot spots in the walls where electrical runs. If you're planning on changing a ceiling fan at some point, maybe you go to do it now and see if they have overloaded tap splices in the fan canopy (really common to put too many connectors together with too small a wire nut). basically.... go be picky.