Author Topic: Ideas for use of garage door and geofencing  (Read 808 times)

Offline Mike20878

Ideas for use of garage door and geofencing
« on: June 15, 2017, 10:43:48 am »
What kind of scenarios are you using to combine geofencing and your garage door opener?  I like the idea of having it open when I get home, but what if I don't plan to park in the garage? 

Is there a way to have the garage close automatically after I pull out?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline packman

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Ideas for use of garage door and geofencing
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 07:22:26 pm »
Geofencing for me is way too unpredictable to be used with the garage door opener.  Sometimes the door would open 5 blocks away from my house and other times I'd have to wait 5 minutes in front of the door for it to open.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 09:21:34 pm »
I do not use geofencing but iPhone Locator but it is not predictable enough to use it to open my garage. What we use it for is to change the House Mode from Home to Away. That triggers PLEG and scenes to arm cameras, arm sensors, and adjust the thermostat when we leave, and disarms things when we arrive. At Christmas, we have an outlet we plug the Christmas Tree into that turns off if we are Away, or after 9:30 pm, and turn on if someone is home and it is after 7 am.

I do have PLEG programmed to send me an alert every 10 minutes if the garage door is open. Even if I am putzing in the garage with the door open, which is not often.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 09:14:04 am »
My opinion is that garage doors are potentially dangerous. An automatically activated garage door could hurt a person under the door, damage a vehicle that was not clear of the door, or cause other damage.

For this reason, I believe that garage doors should only be activated manually while the operator is in view of the door. I use a camera to view my doors and make sure that they are clear of people or obstructions, before activating them remotely.

If you feel that your geofencing is reliable enough, you could setup a notification to alert you when you cross the fence and the door is left open or other clever schemes of your choosing.

I use such an alert based on time. If the door is left open for more than 10 minutes it will alert me, via my phone and via Sonos announcements inside the home, every 10 minutes until I manually close the door. Other logic changes the 10 minutes alert to several hours for those occasions that I wish to leave it open and not be notified.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 11:32:30 am »
I do you the garage door and the Geofencing together ... but in a different way:

If the garage door opens and I am inside my (inner )Home GeoFence ... I automatically disarm the Garage/Shop alarm system.
Similarly if I enter the key code to the door into the house  and I am inside my (inner) Home GeoFence ... I automatically disarm the House alarm system.