Author Topic: Forced upgrade for Nest  (Read 541 times)

Offline Scott8586

Forced upgrade for Nest
« on: June 20, 2017, 11:26:47 am »
[Rant]
I found that since I viewed the interface of my Vera Edge, and declined the upgrade, I nologner can access the Nest connected to it. At first I thought it was a problem with my device, but then it happened to my second Edge.

I am more than 800 miles away from the Edge that has the thermostat I'm interested in controlling.  The last time I upgraded I got stuck, and needed to pull power, so I'm disinclined to upgrade it at a distance - especially with some unfavorable results coming in.... 
So, in order to safely use the rest of my Edge features, I cannot use or view my Nest until I get down there to upgrade it in  a couple of weeks.

Sorry, a forced upgrade with no grace period sucks rocks.  MCV you should have had a better plan in place - please consider how people use their devices - and how often your upgrades fail.

[/Rant]

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
Re: Forced upgrade for Nest
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 02:03:26 pm »
Hello Scott,

If anything, we are really sorry that this has interrupted your Nest service.

However, being the fact that our Nest integration has just passed the certification, part of this agreement with Nest is to also disable any previous Betas. We didn't really had alternatives here.

Apologize for the inconvenience.
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 04:58:52 pm »
Its a good investment for a 15-25.00 wifi outlet plug that you can remotely turn on and off if you vera hangs.

https://www.amazon.com/Timing-Socket-Wireless-Controll-anywhere/dp/B01MSSVSE3/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1497992222&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=wifi+outlet&psc=1

Somthing like this would be a good idea to plug the vera into. As long as you have wifi and internet at the remote house you can power cycle the vera in case of a freeze up.

Offline Scott8586

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 05:27:06 pm »
Its a good investment for a 15-25.00 wifi outlet plug that you can remotely turn on and off if you vera hangs.

Yes, I'm going to do this!

Offline icare

Re: suppress Latest firmware upgrade message
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 03:59:53 pm »
Is there a way to suppress the firmware upgrade message. My VeraLite is short of memory and happily ticking over with no envisaged expansion requirements. For my VeraEdge I'm not interested in the new services, neither do the firmware and web upgrades warrent any upgrade (with associated risks!). HEnce, I'm looking for a way to suppress the continuous reference to the firmware upgrade page. Any ideas?

Offline Alex Waverley

Re: suppress Latest firmware upgrade message
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 06:48:36 pm »
Is there a way to suppress the firmware upgrade message. My VeraLite is short of memory and happily ticking over with no envisaged expansion requirements. For my VeraEdge I'm not interested in the new services, neither do the firmware and web upgrades warrent any upgrade (with associated risks!). HEnce, I'm looking for a way to suppress the continuous reference to the firmware upgrade page. Any ideas?

Amen. The constant nag screen serves no useful purpose. Once is quite enough. I'll upgrade when there is some value in it. I have a VeraLite running UI5 that runs along without a hitch without bugging me at all.  I don't need or want to upgrade my Edge either. If I do, I know where to look.
Please hold your applause until I have concluded my remarks.