Author Topic: Why Why Why did i do this latest firmware upgrade!  (Read 1229 times)

Offline pentium

Why Why Why did i do this latest firmware upgrade!
« on: June 21, 2017, 11:34:40 am »
Today I attached to my vera edge ui7 and the interface took me to the firware upgrade page.  I briefly checked the forum to make sure it wasn't on fire with problems and seeing none, I told it to upgrade.  It ran for several minutes and then it said that the LUA was taking longer than expected to reload.  I checked the unit and the power light was flashing, the wifi light was solid green and no other lights were on.  I unplugged the unit, let it rest, plugged it back in and the lights are the same.  Now what?  I feel like an idiot.

Offline wholeflaffer

Re: Why Why Why did i do this latest firmware upgrade!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 02:18:11 pm »
Same thing happened to me on my Veralite.  I am OK now; here's what I did:

1. Power cycled (like you did)
2. Performed a full factory reset (using paper clip - held reset button in for ~20 seconds)
3. Logged into my Veralite
4. Selected settings -> backups -> restore (on the previous day's latest backup)
5. Power cycled
6. All is well! Latest firmware was installed, all devices and scenes as before, and the Veralite was good to go!

Hope this helps.

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 05:03:53 pm »
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about this but you should leave the unit alone for at least 15 minutes, even more if you know you have a slow internet connection.

In any case, I would advise to contact our support team as well. See my signature
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 10:18:30 pm »
Same thing happened to me on my Veralite.  I am OK now; here's what I did:

1. Power cycled (like you did)
2. Performed a full factory reset (using paper clip - held reset button in for ~20 seconds)
3. Logged into my Veralite
4. Selected settings -> backups -> restore (on the previous day's latest backup)
5. Power cycled
6. All is well! Latest firmware was installed, all devices and scenes as before, and the Veralite was good to go!

Hope this helps.

This is my plan when I have a few hours to spare.  My last update I had to do the same since I am limited in memory since I have a (relatively) old unit.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline wholeflaffer

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 11:15:48 pm »
This is my plan when I have a few hours to spare. 

This entire process took me less than half an hour, but, yes, I'd plan for the worst!  :P

Offline reneboer

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 04:22:10 am »
Hi,

On my test Edge I had the same problem. This test box only has a handful of plugins, no Z-Wave devices so it is basically idle.

The first two attempts gave the Luup taking longer to load message even before I got the screen to make the backup. A few hours later I did get that screen, made the backup, and continued.

Then the whole thing froze. Looking at the logs the download of the new image failed a few times. I unplugged and repowerd the unit, then looking at box via ssh, the curl download command sat for atleast 10 minutes before the image got downloaded (I have 30Mb DSL so that is not the bottleneck)and the installation continued. After that it came up like a brand new unit, all my settings and plugins gone. Rebooted, left it for an hour, no change. Then I restored the backup and it is back to its normal state.

I installed the beta version on the same box three months ago and that went without a hitch. Also the last three upgrades worked like a charm, so this one is a sat back again.

Could it be the download server (dl.mios.com) is being hit too hard with all downloads?

I will wait a few weeks before upgrading my production boxes, just to be save(r).

Cheers Rene
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 01:56:02 pm »
Could it be the download server (dl.mios.com) is being hit too hard with all downloads?

Excellent idea - I think I jumped on the last update too soon.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline reneboer

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 06:35:02 am »
Hi ,

I upgraded my production Edge yesterday. Also painful. It did not come up after the 15 minutes, some error on the MIOSApi according to the logs. On/off did not change anything so I have to do a complete factory reset. Then it booted up, restored the backup and it is running again. Also had to manually update the files for the CIFS support after that, but that is as expected.

So al in all, this update is far from pain less like the last four sadly enhough.

Now going for the Lite, but I know that will not upgrade without using the Restore to defaults option and restoring the backup.

Cheers Rene
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline icare

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 07:59:32 am »
Sine I got sick and tired by the continuous reference to new firmware upgrade whilst contacting my vera's, I finally upgraded to disembark on this rigid annoyance. The upgrade experience with a vera lite and edge are identical to what has been referred to in previous feedback. An additional problem emerged whilst dealing with a VeraLite in France and a VeraEdge in Holland. Whilst typing the appropriate location for Holland and saving it, the same details emerged in my VeraLite located in France. Likewise, whilst updating the unit located in France, the Dutch unit is immediately updated with the French particulars. All in all, weather conditions are totally out of sync, like other plug ins which make use of the LatLon particulars of the unit settings. As per "John M.'s" suggestion, I email tech support but response is yet to be received. I should have stayed put and not being directed by the new firmware upgrade message.

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:45:29 am »
Are all your Vera's on the same account? If so, it sounds like the Vera servers apply settings to all Vera's on the account when you change the settings on one.

A quick and dirty solution would be to create separate GetVera accounts for both the Dutch and French Vera's as to avoid this. Hopefully GetVera support can figure out to resolve this though.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline Inzax

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 10:45:24 am »
Sine I got sick and tired by the continuous reference to new firmware upgrade whilst contacting my vera's, I finally upgraded to disembark on this rigid annoyance. The upgrade experience with a vera lite and edge are identical to what has been referred to in previous feedback. An additional problem emerged whilst dealing with a VeraLite in France and a VeraEdge in Holland. Whilst typing the appropriate location for Holland and saving it, the same details emerged in my VeraLite located in France. Likewise, whilst updating the unit located in France, the Dutch unit is immediately updated with the French particulars. All in all, weather conditions are totally out of sync, like other plug ins which make use of the LatLon particulars of the unit settings. As per "John M.'s" suggestion, I email tech support but response is yet to be received. I should have stayed put and not being directed by the new firmware upgrade message.

THIS...happened to me with Scenes.  Scenes from one vera unit are appearing on another vera unit located 700 miles away.  Very annoying.
Proud Member of the Epic Smite Thread.
Go ahead. Make my day.  Smite me!