Author Topic: Adding Hunter Douglas shade control  (Read 14175 times)

Offline mikemark

Adding Hunter Douglas shade control
« on: December 07, 2010, 12:23:14 pm »
I need to add some Hunter Douglas shades to my control setup. What's the fastest and easiest way?

Thanks in advance!

Offline mikemark

Re: Adding Hunter Douglas shade control
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 01:19:25 pm »
Anyone?

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
  • This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 04:13:18 am »
If you want to control them via Z-Wave then you'll need a controller like one of these:

http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/index.php?cPath=564_565&osCsid=f95cae67812678bca31bc7d9070b3ed1

For a hunter Douglas product, chances are the motors are low voltage so you'd choose the DBMZ and make sure to get standard motors with you shades.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline mikemark

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 11:50:36 am »
Yes, thank you. The DBMZ works like a charm. Easy installation and setup, but if you want to hide them, about the only place is behind some large trim of some sort.

The vera system again showed it's usefulness. After setup everything worked like a charm.

Offline jkw

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 11:58:57 am »
@mikemark,

What Hunter Douglas shades worked so well for you? (part # please).

I am considering doing the same.

Many thanks!

Offline mikemark

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 01:35:55 pm »
@jkw

It seems that any of the Hunter-Douglas shades that are motorized can be controlled this way. There are two different controllers offered by the Hunter Douglas division Elec-Solutions. Here's a link to the dbmz:

http://www.elec-solutions.com/products/z-wave/dbmz.html

And the abmz:

http://www.elec-solutions.com/products/z-wave/abmhz.html

You can always double check with a great guy named Floyd at Hunter-Douglas for your exact needs, including DC power and controllers.
I won't post a phone number here, but if you send me an email to: mikemarkov[at]yahoo.com I'll be happy to give you that phone number.

-mikemark

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 02:02:29 pm »
Yes, thank you. The DBMZ works like a charm. Easy installation and setup, but if you want to hide them, about the only place is behind some large trim of some sort.

The vera system again showed it's usefulness. After setup everything worked like a charm.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.  I didn't know what stage of shade shopping you were in, but it sounds like you already had the shades and controllers.  Were you able to buy direct from Hunter, or did they recommend a dealer?
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline mikemark

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 04:59:36 pm »
Glad to hear it worked out for you.  I didn't know what stage of shade shopping you were in, but it sounds like you already had the shades and controllers.  Were you able to buy direct from Hunter, or did they recommend a dealer?

In this case you would call me a subcontractor working for a contractor on a homeowner's project. The Interior Decorator specified the materials and I specified the control system & controllers. The contractor performed the physical installation, the electrician made the electrical installation, I made the soft control installation. This is the first extensive one we've done with a vera. The installation includes a solar controller which required some connective Luup software and modifications to the Phone User Interface software for custom monitoring of the home's power systems. The home is a very remote retreat for the homeowner and family.

Again, I was pleased with the ease of installation  and operation of standard equipment like these shades.

Offline mikemark

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 05:07:21 pm »
Oh yea, the Interior Decorator handled the purchase and logistics. I think that really answers your question. I believe that they purchase direct from Hunter-Douglas.

The control equipment itself seems flawless, but Hunter-Douglas really needs to find a way to hide it in their shade instead of having a fairly bulky control without a place to hide. In this installation, the contractor decided to hide all these controls behind trim that's around the window. I'd guess they realize that and are probably working on solution with a higher degree of integration.

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 05:39:33 pm »
Unfortunately Hunter isn't going to be integrating Z-Wave into its motors.  Techniku has a smaller Z-Wave add-on for their motors (recently they went out of business in the US they have been "bought" back to life by Wayne-Dalton (aka SALT)). 

I'm glad you were able to get motors from them that are considered standard motors (no IR, no Radio, no internal controller) so that the DBMZ would work.    FYI, Lagotek bought a line of Z-Wave controls that compete with Elec-Solutions and their boxes are a little smaller (at least the AC version is), plus they have a sensor input (for temp, etc).

http://lagotek.com/blinds.html
http://lagotek.com/blindspdf/AC1-ZW%20Cut%20Sheet.pdf
http://lagotek.com/blindspdf/DC1-ZW%20Cut%20Sheet.pdf

Offline mikemark

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 06:00:00 pm »
Unfortunately Hunter isn't going to be integrating Z-Wave into its motors.  Techniku has a smaller Z-Wave add-on for their motors (recently they went out of business in the US they have been "bought" back to life by Wayne-Dalton (aka SALT)). 

Good to know. I just think it would be nice as an add-on that has a designed place to hide inside the shade itself instead of simply "screwed to the wall beside," or hidden in some creative way.

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 04:48:16 pm »
For hiding the controller, I mentioned in another thread that you could have the controller reside behind an open-hole data wall plate somehwere away from the window.   If you're pulling power from an outlet below the window, you could have it hidden down there near the baseboard or if coming in from the ceiling with power you could hide the controller in the attic.  Just some thoughts, more thoughts at this post:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=4811.msg27642#msg27642

Offline mikemark

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 06:15:45 pm »
Yes, all good suggestions. The contractor decided to hide these behind a large casing trim around the window, between the window and the wall framing. The only problem with any of these hiding places is access. If a problem occurs or when replacement is required, this just means some extra tear-down and repair (as well as a hunt for the control location).

Offline JOD

• Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 09:32:46 pm »
Can we get some pictures of the finished install?

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 03:03:45 am »
Yes, all good suggestions. The contractor decided to hide these behind a large casing trim around the window, between the window and the wall framing. The only problem with any of these hiding places is access. If a problem occurs or when replacement is required, this just means some extra tear-down and repair (as well as a hunt for the control location).
Also sounds like a nightmare If you had to exclude and re-include for any reason!

I would really like to make something like this my next project too, but wouldn't do it unless I could hide it all without too much effort and I guess I would go the battery route! 
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster