Author Topic: Security Alarm advice/suggestions  (Read 695 times)

Offline gibby

Security Alarm advice/suggestions
« on: June 26, 2017, 01:56:31 pm »
So after 15 months of looking with the wife, we are closing on a new house Friday.

I know I definitely don't want to use my current system (http://www.lifeshield.com/) as there is no easy way to integrate with Vera, and it is $29.95/month. I am using casperjs, to screen scrape and arm/disarm the system. But it is clunky, and whenever their web interface changes, I have to make updates.

So I have to looked through different forums and posts, and was going to go with a DSC system and an EnvsaLink, but the cost is quite higher than I thought, since I would need so many open/close sensors, something like 21 or so just for the 1st floor. Plus figuring out how to integrate with hard-wired smoke and CO2 detectors.

I saw Vera now has VeraProtect, but haven't seen any reviews of it and I don't see an easy way of adding a control panel with numbers for easy arming/disarming with pin codes.

Was wondering what the community is now recommending for security systems, I definitely want something monitored and something that integrates with Vera, being able to arm/disarm and see sensors and are tripped/not-tripped.

I have an older Vera still running UI5 and I am thinking about wiping and upgrading to UI7 or getting another Vera for the next place.

Offline jswim788

Re: Security Alarm advice/suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 02:24:25 pm »
the cost is quite higher than I thought, since I would need so many open/close sensors, something like 21 or so just for the 1st floor
What kind of sensors are you looking at?  Hard wired alarm sensors are usually very cheap and reliable.  It's the installation labor that costs money (unless you do it yourself).  Wireless sensors are definitely more expensive if hard wired is not an option.

Offline gibby

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 02:43:42 pm »
I have the crawl space and attic I could use to install wired sensors, but I am going with DIY, so probably will stick with wireless sensors.

Offline bobbydoedoe

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 04:16:48 pm »
I have the vera secure and vera protect  (2 years for about $199 with their promo) for about 2 months and  Other than the initial high price to obtain the sensors/locks/cameras I don't have any complains about this combo.  let me know if you have any nonbias questions/comments about it

Offline mvader

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 04:18:32 pm »
So after 15 months of looking with the wife, we are closing on a new house Friday.

I know I definitely don't want to use my current system (http://www.lifeshield.com/) as there is no easy way to integrate with Vera, and it is $29.95/month. I am using casperjs, to screen scrape and arm/disarm the system. But it is clunky, and whenever their web interface changes, I have to make updates.

So I have to looked through different forums and posts, and was going to go with a DSC system and an EnvsaLink, but the cost is quite higher than I thought, since I would need so many open/close sensors, something like 21 or so just for the 1st floor. Plus figuring out how to integrate with hard-wired smoke and CO2 detectors.

I saw Vera now has VeraProtect, but haven't seen any reviews of it and I don't see an easy way of adding a control panel with numbers for easy arming/disarming with pin codes.

Was wondering what the community is now recommending for security systems, I definitely want something monitored and something that integrates with Vera, being able to arm/disarm and see sensors and are tripped/not-tripped.

I have an older Vera still running UI5 and I am thinking about wiping and upgrading to UI7 or getting another Vera for the next place.

If I might offer some advice.  do a risk vs reward analysis of your situation.  are you moving into a bad neighborhood? (if so, why?) If not, you really don't need a million sensors. just put them on the doors. I have a dsc 1832 and use all wireless sensors. I have the lipstick kind that hide inside the door and for the sliding glass doors, i use the flat ones. for motion, i suggest you look into the mysensors project. I have temp/humidity/motion/lux in every room of my house. all tied back to an Raspberry pi and then to vera.  they are not too difficult if you have some basic electronic / solder skills.  I do have a 3d printer and printed my own cases. but you can source all that stuff on ebay pretty cheap. if you want to wait, even cheaper ordering from china.

i self monitor, so no cost. it's true, no body will call the cops for me. but if i'm home, the alarm sounds and i'm seconds from my 9mm.
again though, i live in very low crime area. so it's more about piece of mind then actually worrying some one will really break in. the chances are slim.

soo just some stuff to consider. think about your situation and what you NEED, not that you have 20 windows and need a sensor on each one.
most crooks are coming in through a door. so the doors are a must. everything else is optional IMO.

Offline gibby

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 04:56:46 pm »
Thanks for all the info peeps!!!

I forgot about mysensors, looked at them awhile back but never had time to really dive into it.

I think I am going to go with a DSC system and EnvisaLink and have them monitor for $5.

Definitely not moving into a bad neighborhood, we are in a so-so one now.

We have 18 windows downstairs, 2 garage doors, front door, back door and crawl space door.

I am 100% sure wife will want the hidden sensors for inside, so going to go with the ION Wireless ones and then use the VERSA-DSC for the windows in garage and crawl space door.

Right now I am at $1300 for all the equipment, if I do the entire 1st floor doors/windows, with no motion or glass break.

But thinking about it now, I only really need to do the windows that can be reach from the ground, I just worry about 1 of the kids leaving a window unlocked and then someone sliding it up easily.

Looks like I am going to take a trip out to the new house and get a better count.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 09:08:14 pm »
But thinking about it now, I only really need to do the windows that can be reach from the ground, I just worry about 1 of the kids leaving a window unlocked and then someone sliding it up easily.

I consider this a low probability event.  The bad guy would have to know the kid left the window unlocked, unless it is another kid.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline gibby

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 02:18:40 pm »
So a lot of my electronics got hit by surge due to lightning the last night in our old house. I just ordered a new Vera and going to go with a DSC system, EnvisaLink and use the EnvisAlarm for the monitoring portion.

Going to use 1 motion detector for the downstairs since the house is an open floor plan and not do any of the windows for now.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 11:09:48 pm »
One way to do the windows cheap is use the trizone sensor. It is a single Wireless unit that you can plug in 2 wired sensors, letting you monitor one 3-panel window with a single zone. It's not like knowing the specific panel that opened is any more information than knowing the room and bank of windows.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/dsc-ws4965

Offline JTG

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 11:10:28 pm »
I did the verasecure all the way 3 months ago, and added the monitoring service. I documented it pretty thoroughly in another post in this forum. So far, I've been very pleased.

Offline gibby

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 11:59:00 pm »
One way to do the windows cheap is use the trizone sensor. It is a single Wireless unit that you can plug in 2 wired sensors, letting you monitor one 3-panel window with a single zone. It's not like knowing the specific panel that opened is any more information than knowing the room and bank of windows.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/dsc-ws4965

That is cool, at least 12 of the windows downstairs are in groups of 3, but I doubt the wife would let me go drilling and cutting to run wires on a brand new house.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 09:31:08 pm »
The unit is wireless. You mount it on the center pane and run the fine wiring for the other two panes around the frame.