Author Topic: New Network - How Long Until Mesh Is Complete?  (Read 719 times)

Offline fullmoonguru

New Network - How Long Until Mesh Is Complete?
« on: July 06, 2017, 05:41:38 pm »
I have set up a number of Vera systems now but keep running into issues with devices not connecting when they have to get to the controller through a repeater.  I thought the devices would find each other over two or three nights but it seems it takes longer and there are stubborn devices.

Are there any tips for getting things all connected quicker?  Increased polling at first or something?

Tips for what to do with a device that included fine but doesn't seem to want to connect to nearby devices?

What is the default polling interval?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: New Network - How Long Until Mesh Is Complete?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 09:53:16 am »
The default polling interval is (not less than) one minute. But the actual polling interval gets longer as the number of devices increases on the network. Up until 30 devices, you can expect a polling interval close to one minute.

Nonetheless, changes to Vera's polling default is not recommended and definitely won't improve connectivity. Increasing the polling frequency can even cause network congestion that can impede connectivity. Polling will only update Vera's state information for a device that Vera can communicate with. There's no way fro Vera to poll a device that Vera can't communicate with.

Vera performs a network heal each night that should trigger recalculation of Z-Wave routing. This often does resolve communication issues when they are related to Z-Wave routing. So, the network should be fine after one night but I have seen it take two to settle down reliably. This is the case for adding a device or three to an existing network. But if you are doing a green field installation and adding thirty devices all at the same time, I would not be surprised to see it take more than a night or two, even though I have not seen that myself as yet.

The best way to setup the network is to include devices starting closest to Vera and then extend out from there in concentric rings. The most common issue with connectivity problems is not enough devices and devices not close enough together.

Offline fullmoonguru

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 03:33:42 pm »
Shouldn't I be able to install a number of devices, then place them where they go and expect them to find a nearby node in the overnight heal?  That doesn't seem to be happening.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 09:21:37 am »
I agree that you should be able to. But, as you have found it doesn't always work that way.

Many times radio signals do not work the way that we are "sure that they should" in a particular environment.

The best results will be had by installing in situ starting close to Vera and radiating out from that core.