We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Prime Day Deal  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Sammy2

Prime Day Deal
« on: July 11, 2017, 11:30:16 am »
Considering adding Alexa to my Vera.

Which one? Echo, Dot or Tap?
Why?

How's the integration working?

TIA

Offline jswim788

Re: Prime Day Deal
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 11:46:11 am »
I think they are all the same as far as Vera integration.  The question for you is which form factor do you want?  Echo is larger and has a much better speaker.  Tap has a built in battery which is nice and is a bit smaller, but the speaker may not be quite as good (I have only seen a Tap, not heard it).  Dots are hockey puck sized and sound like a clock radio speaker.  I have Dots in quieter areas and the Echo in the kitchen.  They are very handy.  I use them with the habridge.

Offline Isablend

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 11:50:20 am »
Same I have one echo and five dots.   To be honest I should have just gone with dots throughout.   If you want a music speaker better going for something like Sonos because that's controllable via Vera also.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 12:34:48 pm »
Thoughts on the prices today?

I'm not sure I'm too concerned with the audio on it. We have a Bluetooth soundbar on the back patio that works with the TV already and a 7.1 Surround Sound system in the Family Room. I'm mainly looking to be able to give Vera Voice Commands.

Is the integration solid with Vera?

Offline Isablend

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 01:07:24 pm »
The price today is about as good as its going to get.   

The integration works to a fashion, and is limited by 2 things 1) the limited vocab that amazon currently allows, so "Alexa open the blind won't work because the concept of up and down doesn't exist in the vocab yet.  But on and off work.   Also set temp to xx etc.  The second limiting factor is the timing.   The way its been implemented sometimes results in the command timing out from a confirmation perspective.   So "Alexa switch light on" sometimes results in "its not responding" answer from Alexa but with the light then switching on anyway.   Doesn't happen all the time and it doesn't bother me, but for some its annoying.  I call this the baseline situation and figure it will extend and get better from here (my glass is half full  :)).

Offline Nameless

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 01:28:10 pm »
I have 3 Dots and 1 Echo. I find the Echo replies faster than the Dots and is faster at processing requests outside of Vera. It's also the farthest from my router.

These are really good prices at the moment.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 02:01:50 pm »
I have 1 Echo and 2 dots. I have sonos. The big echo is a waste for me. All work the same (except the touch which you have to touch to wake it up) with same integration. Personally I would only by the dots since I don't use the better speaker in the big echo. 

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 02:03:08 pm »
If you want to use Alexa's speaker to play music etc, your best bet is the Echo.
If you don't really care about playing music through it, get the Dot.
If you don't want Alexa to be 'always' listening, get a Tap or a Wand.
If you want a really portable voice remote for Vera, get the Wand.

I have an Echo (as when I bought it no Dot had been released) but her speaker is only used for her responses as I have Sonos speakers I prefer to use for music and announcements as such.

I was planning to buy a Dot but the Wand fulfills all my needs...
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 03:54:12 pm »
Just ordered a plethora of these..

Dots
Connect to Back Patio Bluetooth Soundbar via Bluetooth
Connect to AVR in the Family Room via 3.5mm audio cable for audio input
Connect to Garage HK Onyx speaker via Bluetooth

Echo
For the master bedroom as an audio device

Wand
For whatever. It is FREE after registration.

Tap
For portability.

Might as well get them all and check it out. Returns are easy on amazon if we decide we don't need all of these!

Now to read about integration into my Vera.

BTW, do these work with Insteon? Smarthome says they do. This might solve my other problems in controlling ceiling fans with lights.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:31:12 pm by Sammy2 »

Offline mvader

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 05:15:20 pm »
If you want to use Alexa's speaker to play music etc, your best bet is the Echo.
If you don't really care about playing music through it, get the Dot.
If you don't want Alexa to be 'always' listening, get a Tap or a Wand.
If you want a really portable voice remote for Vera, get the Wand.

I have an Echo (as when I bought it no Dot had been released) but her speaker is only used for her responses as I have Sonos speakers I prefer to use for music and announcements as such.

I was planning to buy a Dot but the Wand fulfills all my needs...

to add my 2 cents. i have 8 dots. they are fine for playing music in the rooms. it's not blow your doors off sound.. but if you just want some background music while you cook or work on stuff in the house, these are fine for that. even bedtime music is fine. for voice control and single room music, i think the dots are a great choice.

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 06:25:31 pm »
Yup, the wand rocks for HA. Not so much for voice ordering. Luckily it has a bar code scanner. Now to get Amazon to place a bar code on every product page so all I have to do is point it at the screen and push to order something.

It does work for getting add-on items without needing something else ordered.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 06:54:26 pm »
Yup, the wand rocks for HA. Not so much for voice ordering. Luckily it has a bar code scanner. Now to get Amazon to place a bar code on every product page so all I have to do is point it at the screen and push to order something.

It does work for getting add-on items without needing something else ordered.

By this you mean add it to your cart to order an add on item them register it so you basically get the add on item shipped and you get the wand for free?

And the wand's best use is to issue voice commands to the Vera? Wow. Bet amazon didn't count on that one.

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 07:10:31 pm »
Nope, I use the wand (or Alexa) to voice order the add-on item by itself (I have to place it on my wish list sometimes for it to find it) and it will be shipped Prime shipping without the need for a main purchase. It's an Alexa perk.

And yes, the wand is great to give voice commands to Vera. I purchased it for $20 and it came with a $20 credit. So I basically paid $1.40 tax for it. I doubt I will do much voice ordering with it but I've done a lot of ordering Vera to do stuff with. Thank you Amazon and yes, I doubt they took that function into account... It has a big loop and is magnetic so it's really easy to slap it on a metal surface or hook it onto something. It even came with an adhesive hook. If I could order more for $1.40 I'd have one in every room.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus

Offline ember1205

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 11:43:29 pm »
The Echo is mains powered, has the best quality speaker, and is entirely hands free.

The Echo Tap is battery powered (sitting in the charging cradle makes it appear to be mains powered, but it still runs off of the battery), has a very respectable speaker quality, but requires that you press a button to "wake it up" before talking to it. You also don't need to say "Alexa" at all as that is replaced by pressing the button. Does not have (or need) the "farfield voice recognition" since it requires a button press to wake it up.

The Echo Dot is battery powered (same as the Tap), has a speaker that's really only useful for voice feedback, and is voice operated.

The price today on the Echo is fabulous and I don't know that we'll see it this low again for a long time (if ever). Yes, you'll have to wait to get it (out of stock), but it's worth it. I bought another one, bringing my household total of Echo's up to four (two of each color - lol). I predominantly use them for home automation control, but the "Drop In" feature for calling room to room makes them like an intercom system and the sound quality when I play music is SO much better than the other devices...

Offline jswim788

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 11:59:22 pm »
Tap's used to need a "tap" to listen, but no longer with a firmware update.  You now have a choice to have it listen full time.  And Dot's don't have a battery.  I have 5 Dot's and none have a battery.  Is there a newer Dot with a built in battery?