We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Prime Day Deal  (Read 2493 times)

Offline ember1205

Re: Prime Day Deal
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 08:31:11 am »
Tap's used to need a "tap" to listen, but no longer with a firmware update.  You now have a choice to have it listen full time.  And Dot's don't have a battery.  I have 5 Dot's and none have a battery.  Is there a newer Dot with a built in battery?

The Gen2 device says this about power: AC power. Plugs in and always on. Comes with power adapter and USB charging cable.

I don't personally own one, so I was going based on this along with what I was told by a relative that won one. Looking much more closely at tech specs of the various devices seems to indicate that it is mains powered only (maybe Amazon should update their details so it isn't as misleading?).

As far as the Tap's new functionality, I wasn't aware and I wonder if the kids are... They have them and haven't made any comments about the change which appears to be a few months old at this point. Of course, they probably also have no idea that they have to launch the app and enable "Handsfree Mode" to have it work this way, and I'm ok not telling them. They yell at the house Echo's enough already. I don't need them yelling at their Tap's in their rooms, too.  lol

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 11:55:13 am »
Nope, I use the wand (or Alexa) to voice order the add-on item by itself (I have to place it on my wish list sometimes for it to find it) and it will be shipped Prime shipping without the need for a main purchase. It's an Alexa perk.

And yes, the wand is great to give voice commands to Vera. I purchased it for $20 and it came with a $20 credit. So I basically paid $1.40 tax for it. I doubt I will do much voice ordering with it but I've done a lot of ordering Vera to do stuff with. Thank you Amazon and yes, I doubt they took that function into account... It has a big loop and is magnetic so it's really easy to slap it on a metal surface or hook it onto something. It even came with an adhesive hook. If I could order more for $1.40 I'd have one in every room.

I get it. That's pretty cool. I've always been adding filler that I may need soon to my cart to get add on items shipped.

Offline mvader

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 12:45:15 pm »
The Echo Dot is battery powered (same as the Tap), has a speaker that's really only useful for voice feedback, and is voice operated.

none of my echo dots are powered by batteries. they are all powered by the 5v adapter that plugs into the wall.
I use all of my dots to play music in every room. most people are not audiophiles. if i want higher quality audio i'll turn on my stereo system.
but really for just playing music while you cook or clean or put together shelves and what not. it's perfectly fine.
to say it's not useful for anything but voice feedback is inaccurate IMO..

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 01:13:52 pm »
What they mean to say is that it is powered by an USB 2.0 Micro B Connector.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 01:19:22 pm »
Something is missing here. Great deal on the echo products yesterday. We'll use them for everything else they do in the meantime but in looking at the forum here, it seems there's a little ways to go with Vera Compatibility.

Offline ember1205

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 01:21:33 pm »
Something is missing here. Great deal on the echo products yesterday. We'll use them for everything else they do in the meantime but in looking at the forum here, it seems there's a little ways to go with Vera Compatibility.

I use the HA Bridge (HUE Emulator) and things work great for me. I see a lot of people still having issues with the more native solution. The Echo Show apparently doesn't work with the bridge at all, though. Not sure its compatibility with the native solution.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 01:24:33 pm »

I use the HA Bridge (HUE Emulator) and things work great for me. I see a lot of people still having issues with the more native solution. The Echo Show apparently doesn't work with the bridge at all, though. Not sure its compatibility with the native solution.

Do you have a link to that topic or topics? I have some reading to do.

TIA

Offline ember1205

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 01:33:45 pm »
Here's the link direct to the bridge software:  https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/blob/master/README.md

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 02:34:43 pm »
Here's the link direct to the bridge software:  https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/blob/master/README.md

UGH!

More Linux.. I'm not a linux guy and I've tried to enlist my son but he's busy with his own stuff right now.

Guess I'm going to have to learn me some Linux unless there's something pre-compiled I can use. I haven't read all of your link yet. Thanks.

Offline ember1205

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 02:47:32 pm »
PM me if you would have any interest in chatting more directly about this, and I might even be able to help you get it running pretty easily. Once the Linux instance is running, it's pretty quick to get the thing on line and operational. The hardest part for someone not comfortable in Linux is getting the operating system installed. I've got over 20 years experience doing it and could probably help you get an operating machine fairly quickly.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 04:52:01 pm »

UGH!

More Linux.. I'm not a linux guy and I've tried to enlist my son but he's busy with his own stuff right now.

Guess I'm going to have to learn me some Linux unless there's something pre-compiled I can use. I haven't read all of your link yet. Thanks.

Maybe you miss read it. Its a single JAVA file you run. You can run it on windows or linux. Anything that runs java.

https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/releases

Downlaod the latest (at this time) ha-bridge-4.5.6.jar which is a 7.69 and double click to run it.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 05:12:10 pm »
PM me if you would have any interest in chatting more directly about this, and I might even be able to help you get it running pretty easily. Once the Linux instance is running, it's pretty quick to get the thing on line and operational. The hardest part for someone not comfortable in Linux is getting the operating system installed. I've got over 20 years experience doing it and could probably help you get an operating machine fairly quickly.

I need to follow up on this for sure..Thanks! OT but I'm trying to get the Alsteon plugin working but need to compile some code in Linux in order to do it.

UGH!

Maybe you miss read it. Its a single JAVA file you run. You can run it on windows or linux. Anything that runs java.

https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/releases

Downlaod the latest (at this time) ha-bridge-4.5.6.jar which is a 7.69 and double click to run it.

As far as the HA Bridge goes, is this to say it can be done in Windows to run the JAR? Does this imply an "always on" pc to use the bridge? I have no problem with that as I have my PC's running 24/7 as Emby media servers and Blue Iris DVR's but was just wondering.

Offline ember1205

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 05:26:33 pm »

I need to follow up on this for sure..Thanks! OT but I'm trying to get the Alsteon plugin working but need to compile some code in Linux in order to do it.

Happy to help if I can. You could even load VirtualBox on one of your Windows machines and load the Linux instance inside of it.

As far as the HA Bridge goes, is this to say it can be done in Windows to run the JAR? Does this imply an "always on" pc to use the bridge? I have no problem with that as I have my PC's running 24/7 as Emby media servers and Blue Iris DVR's but was just wondering.

Yes, the bridge needs to be on a machine that's always on, or at least is always on when you want your Echo to be able to interact with Vera.

The only "Windows" install I have in my house is a virtual instance that I use specifically for Microsoft Visio and for attending virtual meetings for work. Nothing else runs Windows (including my Plex setup).

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 05:33:01 pm »

I run Blueiris, PLEX, HomeSeer, Unifi Controller and a few others on a windows 10 server.

I run the bridge on there also.

I created a notepad file then renamed it to a .bat file with the following info in it. 

"@echo off
cd c:\echobridge
javaw -jar ha-bridge.jar
exit"

I created a folder called echobridge in the c:\ and dumped this .bat file and the .jar file in it (A "data" folder will also be auto created in there after running the .jar). I always rename the .jar file to ha-bridge.jar without the numbers on it to easy swap out the file when I download and update to the latest. I auto run the .bat file on windows bootup and I'm good to go.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 05:37:21 pm »
+1 to Integlikewhoa
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1