We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Prime Day Deal  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Sammy2

Re: Prime Day Deal
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2017, 09:22:53 pm »
Sounds easy enough. Sort of reminds me of autoexec.bat and config.sys days.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2017, 05:57:07 pm »
Good ole DOS. Cannot say that I miss it but it did teach me enough to nose around a Linux setup (following instructions offered by Google, of course).

I have a little Atom machine running Plex as a backup server and Blue Iris running on a separate Desktop. I was thinking of breaking out my RP3 from storage to install the HA bridge, but I may install it on the Atom since it likely have very little load on the computer. Little Windows 10 computers are around $100 and are great for single purpose duties like these.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2017, 07:03:17 pm »
I have a little Atom machine running Plex as a backup server and Blue Iris running on a separate Desktop. I was thinking of breaking out my RP3 from storage to install the HA bridge, but I may install it on the Atom since it likely have very little load on the computer. Little Windows 10 computers are around $100 and are great for single purpose duties like these.

I was the same way before. I still have a pi2 and pi3 sitting in the garage. But After sometime I decided I didn't need 3-4 machines running. I rack mounted a fresh built i7 to handle everything (started with more cameras and blueiris needing more power) and got rid of all the little machines in favor of one with more power. Vera was on that list too of consolidation also.

Now probley have around 4-5 main things that run on the windows LTSB server and no more pi's running.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2017, 07:44:55 pm »
The Atom has 1 other function - monitors the UPS that powers my network (modest setup: cable modem and router).

My desktop has its own UPS, and I have both monitored by Vera (also on its own, unmonitored) UPS [all three are in different places for various reasons].

I sent up a notification in PLEG/VeraAlerts if both UPS's are on battery it means there is a power outage (the UPS's are on different legs of my single phase service).

Since I work less than 2 miles from home, I like to know when it is time to save the food in the frig. The beer I can re-chill  8)
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline ember1205

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 09:09:36 pm »
The Atom has 1 other function - monitors the UPS that powers my network (modest setup: cable modem and router).

My desktop has its own UPS, and I have both monitored by Vera (also on its own, unmonitored) UPS [all three are in different places for various reasons].

I sent up a notification in PLEG/VeraAlerts if both UPS's are on battery it means there is a power outage (the UPS's are on different legs of my single phase service).

Since I work less than 2 miles from home, I like to know when it is time to save the food in the frig. The beer I can re-chill  8)

Keep the refrigerator door closed, it will be fine for quite a few hours.  :)

I have two HP Z800 workstation machines that are still being built out with more and more virtual hosts to do various tasks on my network. I also have a dedicated openSUSE server running PLEX and another that's purely offering up disk as a NAS. A third stand-alone is being shut down as I move the last services onto my virtual machines.

I have everything in a server rack with 3 UPS'es. They also ensure power for my cable modem, network switch, and three different VoIP boxes that bring phone service into the house. I will be adding UPS monitoring daemons to the two stand-along boxes and will turn each of them into network daemons that can notify the XenServer hosts so they can shut down as well with no cables required. I don't need to be notified of the outage, I just need the machines to power down. The router physically resides elsewhere and has its own UPS to drive it.

The RPi is upstairs providing print server services for my LaserJet (AirPrint for iOS and CUPS for the Windows and Mac devices).

The load from the HA Bridge is negligible. You'll spend more resources on the box trying to monitor how much resources it needs.  ;)

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2017, 09:36:44 pm »
Just checking in. Been busy lately with stuff. I'll be following up on all this pretty soon. Just now getting the dots set up. Waiting for the echo to come but that won't be for several weeks as I was late to the party and it is back ordered now. Probably waiting on a shipment from China or something.

Offline DaveH28

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2017, 10:46:10 pm »
Subscribed. I ordered an echo and a dot on prime day and just received them. My main purpose is to try and control music and zwave network from it. I will do the research and try to bridge the device to vera. Unfortunately I have virtually no programming experience so if it involves a lot of code I'm going to be behind the masses. I can't believe how many HA skills there are and nothing for Vera.

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2017, 07:36:08 am »
There is the 'beta' GetVera skill for Alexa. You are free to join that beta. The thread is in this sub forum.
It's working pretty well for me *knock on wood*. Alexa is telling Vera to run scenes to control my Sonos speakers. That is until the Sonos skill is released from beta which is supposed to be somethime this year. Latest on that is it will support current Sonos speakers via a software update so that is good news.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline ember1205

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2017, 08:15:31 am »
Subscribed. I ordered an echo and a dot on prime day and just received them. My main purpose is to try and control music and zwave network from it. I will do the research and try to bridge the device to vera. Unfortunately I have virtually no programming experience so if it involves a lot of code I'm going to be behind the masses. I can't believe how many HA skills there are and nothing for Vera.

If you want to use the HA Bridge, there's zero "programming". If you run it on Windows, you create a .bat file to start it. If you run it on Linux, you create a shell script to start it (or put it in the crontab to run at startup). That's it.

The biggest difficulty in setting up the bridge (IMHO) is properly configuring the "Dim" function for dimmer switches as the bridge doesn't seem to get that right many times.

I have four Echo's, and they're basically -ALL- being used for the Home Automation aspect with little dribs and drabs of other things here and there.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2017, 11:28:22 am »
PM me if you would have any interest in chatting more directly about this, and I might even be able to help you get it running pretty easily. Once the Linux instance is running, it's pretty quick to get the thing on line and operational. The hardest part for someone not comfortable in Linux is getting the operating system installed. I've got over 20 years experience doing it and could probably help you get an operating machine fairly quickly.

I need to follow up on this for sure..Thanks! OT but I'm trying to get the Alsteon plugin working but need to compile some code in Linux in order to do it.

Here's the link direct to the bridge software:  https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/blob/master/README.md

UGH!

More Linux.. I'm not a linux guy and I've tried to enlist my son but he's busy with his own stuff right now.

Guess I'm going to have to learn me some Linux unless there's something pre-compiled I can use. I haven't read all of your link yet. Thanks.

Maybe you miss read it. Its a single JAVA file you run. You can run it on windows or linux. Anything that runs java.

https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/releases

Downlaod the latest (at this time) ha-bridge-4.5.6.jar which is a 7.69 and double click to run it.

As far as the HA Bridge goes, is this to say it can be done in Windows to run the JAR? Does this imply an "always on" pc to use the bridge? I have no problem with that as I have my PC's running 24/7 as Emby media servers and Blue Iris DVR's but was just wondering.

Something is missing here. Great deal on the echo products yesterday. We'll use them for everything else they do in the meantime but in looking at the forum here, it seems there's a little ways to go with Vera Compatibility.

I use the HA Bridge (HUE Emulator) and things work great for me. I see a lot of people still having issues with the more native solution. The Echo Show apparently doesn't work with the bridge at all, though. Not sure its compatibility with the native solution.

If you want to use the HA Bridge, there's zero "programming". If you run it on Windows, you create a .bat file to start it. If you run it on Linux, you create a shell script to start it (or put it in the crontab to run at startup). That's it.

The biggest difficulty in setting up the bridge (IMHO) is properly configuring the "Dim" function for dimmer switches as the bridge doesn't seem to get that right many times.

I have four Echo's, and they're basically -ALL- being used for the Home Automation aspect with little dribs and drabs of other things here and there.

Lot's of quotes here and I'm sorry but I was trying to consolidate all the information into one post. The native Beta 2 for the Vera Alexa Skill is actually working quite well but I'd like to get the control out of the cloud as much as possible.

I've finally done some research on HA Bridge and it looks to control X10 devices too with the right hub and plugins etc.. I started a new thread but wanted to draw attention to it from the experts here!  ;D