Author Topic: Vera Secure 5mb data plan cost is $4.95  (Read 1636 times)

Offline bobbydoedoe

• Sr. Newbie
Vera Secure 5mb data plan cost is $4.95
« on: July 11, 2017, 01:04:09 pm »
just an fyi, the cost for the 5MB data plan on the vera secure is $4.95.  Does anyone know if i can use my own prepaid sim card? as $1/mb is quite pricey.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
Re: Vera Secure 5mb data plan cost is $4.95
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 01:51:14 pm »
You should not be using it except when you have a network outage.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 02:28:23 pm »
Data plan kicks in only when internet connection/power drops. It's very unlikely those 5 megs will ever get capped. While unit is on data plan, only some lifeline services are active, like remote connection, house modes and panic button. The rest of the dashboard is locked out while on data plan. Scenes and other logic will run normally.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline Spanners

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 12:27:05 am »
Can we replace it with our own SIM card and plan?

Offline wilme2

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 04:36:53 pm »
While unit is on data plan, only some lifeline services are active, like remote connection, house modes and panic button. The rest of the dashboard is locked out while on data plan.

Which makes it completely unappealing to me.  Offer me a full back-up, then I am interested...
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 04:56:07 pm »
Can we replace it with our own SIM card and plan?

I'm curious about the answer myself, but I'm asumming VERA is more about making that monthly income then letting you come and go as you please. They either have done their homework and locked anything else out or will not answer is my guess.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 05:43:59 pm »
@wilme2 Don't shoot the messenger please :) VeraProtect service is still in it's youth, a constructive feedback is always welcome

@integlikewhoa We actually didn't take any measures to "block" third party sims, and at this point in time we are not heading that way. But currently there's no user configurable software support to manually config new sim connection settings, like APN, servers, ports, service number, etc, for the built in modem.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline Spanners

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 12:18:43 am »
I notice this in my Vera log:

local2.info chat[18126]: send (AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","m2m005229.attz")

Knowing a bit about ye-olde AT commands for modems, this says to me that "m2m005229.attz" needs to be replaced by the APN of your new SIM provider. I understand John's comment about no user configurable software, but I reckon there's something for the SSH explorers.  ;)

Offline bobbydoedoe

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 07:40:56 pm »
We should have the ability to use our own sim card or at least offer us a better pricing if we buy the data in bulk ie : 100mb for $10.  For example, what if i am away from home on an extended vacation and the internet craps out?  i will be stuck with a huge bill for using the backup cellular service!!

Offline richardbowman

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 11:01:41 am »
Unfortunately, this has happened to me, and considering this service is clearly in beta, I was very disappointed in Vera?s responses to me. Literally have been a customer of Vera hubs for the last 9 years, bought the Vera Secure as soon as it came out for my vacation home.

The power was knocked out which knocked out Internet at the house, and for a week until I could get back to the house, Vera Secure literally just ATE data. All day and night. Here are my charges from Vera:

Feb 9 - 4.95
Feb 7 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 6 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 5 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 4 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 3 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 2 - 3 x 4.95

I communicated to Vera, asking what?s going on. Support has been incredibly unhelpful, saying this is perfectly reasonable:

FROM VERA SUPPORT:
??
If the unit doesn?t have internet access for 1 day I think that 20 MB can be consumed because of the following factors (in your case) :
- the remote access tunnel (should be up all the time)
- alerts logged on the web UI
- constant checking if the unit has internet access
- plugins that connect to cloud services ( I see that you are using Nest and Amazon Alexa)
??-

Literally this was a home that no one was in, no triggers were activated, no accesses to remote UI occurred. So this is obviously a completely unreasonable solution to use for actual security monitoring, because every security system in the world has cellular connectivity without charging all of these fees.

My former alarm system was connected 100% of the time via cellular connection and allowed remote access in a similar fashion without charges. I feel really screwed by my investment in Vera Secure, and even more screwed when a product?s support team thinks this is reasonable behavior.

Really felt that I?ve stayed with Vera and invested in it with all of the issues and bugs and slow progress. I have Vera in three homes, and was intending on bringing Vera Secure into my main home as a replacement for my core security system there. Obviously I can?t afford to use it as the core of my security system knowing this now, and I also help my post helps others decided if they can justify this.

Big trust erosion with Vera through this experience.

Offline wilme2

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 11:44:15 am »
FROM VERA SUPPORT:
??
If the unit doesn?t have internet access for 1 day I think that 20 MB can be consumed because of the following factors (in your case) :
- the remote access tunnel (should be up all the time)
- alerts logged on the web UI
- constant checking if the unit has internet access
- plugins that connect to cloud services ( I see that you are using Nest and Amazon Alexa)
??-

I agree with you this is unreasonable.  About the only one you might be able to adjust are the alerts (Vera event server), but if the house was empty, then there weren't enough sensors being tripped to really create much data traffic.  5 MB just isn't a serious number.  I was in meetings with AT&T last week to discuss IoT offerings and associated bandwidth, and 5 MB would have been laughed at - I bet even the porta-potty tracking application we discussed used more monthly data than that...
Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 06:05:13 pm »
and 5 MB would have been laughed at - I bet even the porta-potty tracking application we discussed used more monthly data than that...

Personally most numbers Vera puts out should be laughed at. I been laughing at the hardware in vera for years after the Vera lite jokes (lite on RAM) started coming out. A few MB of RAM each upgrade. It continues to this day with people having software upgrade issues due to lack of storage room. So having such a low backup data usage really falls right inline. It's cheap and barely enough for a noob user to skimp by with, so it does its job in their eyes.

Offline richardbowman

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 07:49:29 pm »
Seems like the best path is the new ADT Security system with SmartThings built in. Cellular access included in a fixed monitoring fee, plus a wall mounted touch screen, all for $399:

https://www.smartthings.com/adt#/how-it-works/security-hub

The reason I haven't gone to SmartThings in the past is the cloud-based approach of SmartThings activities, but with local security monitoring being covered in a traditional way, this seems like the way to go to me...

Honestly, if they'd just apologized, and refunded the charges, apologized that it's in beta, and that the data needs are still being tweaked, I would have stayed a happy customer.

Offline Priest

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 01:59:22 pm »

The power was knocked out which knocked out Internet at the house, and for a week until I could get back to the house, Vera Secure literally just ATE data. All day and night. Here are my charges from Vera:

Feb 9 - 4.95
Feb 7 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 6 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 5 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 4 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 3 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 2 - 3 x 4.95

So, due to a power loss at an unoccupied house....that had nothing going on to need to alert about.... you got charged $70?

That's messed up!  I'm at the point I need to upgrade from my Vera3 really soon..... I guess I need to look at Homeseer again instead of continuing to deal with MCV if this is considered reasonable to them.  Geez!

Offline hellovn

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 02:26:37 pm »
Why do you have a data plan for "an unoccupied house"? That seems contradictory.

Feb 9 - 4.95
Feb 7 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 6 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 5 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 4 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 3 - 2 x 4.95
Feb 2 - 3 x 4.95

So, due to a power loss at an unoccupied house....that had nothing going on to need to alert about.... you got charged $70?

That's messed up!  I'm at the point I need to upgrade from my Vera3 really soon..... I guess I need to look at Homeseer again instead of continuing to deal with MCV if this is considered reasonable to them.  Geez!