Author Topic: Development of a plugin for Fortrezz flow meter??  (Read 185 times)

Offline leedavidr

Development of a plugin for Fortrezz flow meter??
« on: July 11, 2017, 06:38:20 pm »
I have installed a Fortrezz flow meter to attempt to monitor possible water line breaks in my house (too high of flow, or low flow for too long of a period of time).  This device apparently gives some functionality with Homeseer and with SmartThings, but I cannot glean any useful data from the device on my Vera Plus.  I have had Vera Customer Support look at it, and they weren't able to help, except to add the parameters listed in the technical user manual:

http://www.fortrezz.com/s/Flow-Meter-Technical-Manual.pdf

This however did not result in me being able to see any of that information in Vera.  I have tried inclusion using other device options other that a generic z-wave device, and none of the energy meter devices that I used to try to include the device worked to yield anymore information.

Integlikewhoa, a regular poster on here who is using the same device on Homeseer, has some contacts with Fortrezz, and they were unable to provide any help as well.

So I am asking if anyone on this board might be interested in developing a plugin for this flow meter?  Thanks.

Offline leedavidr

Re: Development of a plugin for Fortrezz flow meter??
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:01:49 am »
Crickets chirping......

Offline jswim788

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 12:12:12 am »
This is more of a question than an answer, so I apologize for that.

All of the plugins I've seen access some other data somehow, manipulate it, display it, and act on it or enable other devices to act on it.  They get their data over IP or serial links.  But this water flow valve seems to be a native Z-wave device, so I don't think a plugin helps unless the underlying Z-wave devices are supported and it would seem to be that only Vera could do this.  Am I wrong in my thinking?  @leedavidr: didn't you mention that Vera couldn't help?  Did they say why they couldn't help?  If you can't see the water flow data in generic Z-wave devices, then I suspect you need help at the protocol level and that a plugin won't be of use until that is resolved.

Curious to know what the Z-wave experts in the forum have to say about this.  Thanks.

Offline leedavidr

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 11:02:17 pm »
This is more of a question than an answer, so I apologize for that.

All of the plugins I've seen access some other data somehow, manipulate it, display it, and act on it or enable other devices to act on it.  They get their data over IP or serial links.  But this water flow valve seems to be a native Z-wave device, so I don't think a plugin helps unless the underlying Z-wave devices are supported and it would seem to be that only Vera could do this.  Am I wrong in my thinking?  @leedavidr: didn't you mention that Vera couldn't help?  Did they say why they couldn't help?  If you can't see the water flow data in generic Z-wave devices, then I suspect you need help at the protocol level and that a plugin won't be of use until that is resolved.

Curious to know what the Z-wave experts in the forum have to say about this.  Thanks.

Here is what Vera said:

"I tried to see if there would be any way to manually request the information from the device but it cannot be done. It requires a very specific implementation for this to be achieved.  Such as the way the old plugin used to worked, it had its specific implementation files.
Unfortunately, until an official integration will be developed for this particular device then there is not much we can do about it at the moment.
As for the plugin working again, being a 3rd party plugin, it does not depend on us and it?s up to the developer of the plugin if he chooses to update the plugin to make it work again.  I don?t have an ETA for an official integration for this particular device because it depends on the priority and the number of requests from our customer as well as other specific internal procedures.  I think the only option left for the moment is to try to see if there are other community members from our forums that might have taken on a similar project with this particular device."

So my limited understanding is that I would need to wait either until this device is integrated by Vera or someone develops a plug in for it.  Really all I need is for it to be able to count gallons of water that have come through the flow meter.  If I can get it to do that, then I think the rest could be handled through PLEG in terms of detecting a high flow rate (broken pipe) or a long slow leak (water flowing for say more than 30 minutes--this is indoor water only as my irrigation system is a separate line).  If the two above situations could be detected, I could tell the device to close my water valve.  I am using Fibaro flood sensors now for this purpose but the water pipes buried in the slabs of homes in this community have had issues (we had one that was leaking and we had to have the slab jack hammered in that area and the pipe replace), and we cannot place flood sensors at every place the pipes are buried (even if we knew exactly where they were buried, which we don't).  Thus, the flow meter would give us a more comprehensive way of detecting water leaks.  Our insurance company has required us to set up a system, which, as indicated above, we have complied with, but it would be great to be able to use the flow meter for the aforementioned more comprehensive detection of water leaks.

Offline jswim788

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 12:56:08 am »
It appears that Fortrezz wrote the plugin for this.  Have you tried contacting Fortrezz?

Clearly this device is based on the MIMOlite which others have gotten to work as a garage door opener - not exactly what you need, but at least there is some hint of success with it.

Although I'm curious about this, I can't help  much because I don't have the device, and you've pointed out that it gummed up your Vera with the plugin installed, so I'm reluctant to even try installing the plugin to see what is trying to do.

Offline leedavidr

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 09:01:36 am »
It appears that Fortrezz wrote the plugin for this.  Have you tried contacting Fortrezz?

Clearly this device is based on the MIMOlite which others have gotten to work as a garage door opener - not exactly what you need, but at least there is some hint of success with it.

Although I'm curious about this, I can't help  much because I don't have the device, and you've pointed out that it gummed up your Vera with the plugin installed, so I'm reluctant to even try installing the plugin to see what is trying to do.

Integlikewhoa helped me with this before I posted this.  The plug in I used was for a MIMOlite and really not for this device.  He has this device, and it works on his Homeseer controller well enough to obtain the data he wants.  Because he had a relationship with an employee at Fortrezz due to his earlier purchase of the device, he contacted Fortrezz for me.  They couldn't offer any help.  So I don't think altering the plug in for the MIMOlite is the answer.  Perhaps Integlikewho can weigh in on this.  Unfortunately, I don't know enough to be really helpful to the development of a plug in for this device.  And perhaps without having the device, development would be nearly impossible.  I may just need to wait for Vera to integrate the device or similar devices to be able to use it as intended.   Or migrate to a different zwave controller.

Note add:  Integlikewhoa doesn't think Fortrezz developed the faulty plug in for the device but was unable to contact the original developer; he can correct me on this if I have misconstrued this.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:06:11 am by leedavidr »