Author Topic: Need POE, PTZ , Outdoor Dome Camera recommendations to cover pool area  (Read 277 times)

Offline Hottoy

• Sr. Newbie
I have tried searching the forum but haven't found a solid current outdoor dome PTZ recommendation.   Will be moving to a new home and looking to upgrade from my current vera lite and foscam to some newer cameras.  Looking for Vera plus UI7 compatibleDome PTZ, camera  recommendations that will cover pool area for snowbird 2nd home.  Ideally, I would like to stay below 400/ camera but willing to go higher if needed to get a reliable secure solution.   

I appreciate any knowledge or experience provided by Vera forum members
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:51:34 am by Hottoy »

Offline Priest

I think I may really need to start taking advantage of my company's product purchasing policy. Anything we get from our distributors can be purchased at company cost, which is about 20% - 50% off retail.  If the Hikvision cameras work for you we get really good pricing on those, I could help you pick some out.

Offline Hottoy

• Sr. Newbie
Very interested in that approach.   The DS-2DE3304W-DE  seems to be on the short list but it's unclear if this integrates with Vera IU7 and if it has night vision. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:52:08 pm by Hottoy »

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
What is considered "Vera plus UI7 compatible" what do you want to be able to do with it?

Offline Priest

Very interested in that approach.   The DS-2DE3304W-DE  seems to be on the short list but it's unclear if this integrates with Vera IU7 and if it has night vision.

currently on sale at new-egg cheaper than my discount

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA9J34552297?nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsNF-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsNF-PC-_-pla-_-IP+%2f+Network+Cameras-_-9SIA9J34552297&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs6vWuv2G1QIV1EwNCh0pBwVAEAYYAiABEgLvXfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Offline Hottoy

• Sr. Newbie
What is considered "Vera plus UI7 compatible" what do you want to be able to do with it?

I want a Camera that I can easily install and operate from Vera ui7 directly or thru the blue iris plugin.  Motion detection would be nice but I suspect that is a reach.  Monitor the house and send me a message if someone is  in the pool area when we are up north.  Worried about furniture walking away or children sneaking in and drowning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hottoy

• Sr. Newbie

currently on sale at new-egg cheaper than my discount

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA9J34552297?nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsNF-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsNF-PC-_-pla-_-IP+%2f+Network+Cameras-_-9SIA9J34552297&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs6vWuv2G1QIV1EwNCh0pBwVAEAYYAiABEgLvXfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Great deal but I'm still not sure how that camera works without ir leds in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
I want a Camera that I can easily install and operate from Vera ui7 directly or thru the blue iris plugin.  Motion detection would be nice but I suspect that is a reach.  Monitor the house and send me a message if someone is  in the pool area when we are up north.  Worried about furniture walking away or children sneaking in and drowning.

If you running a Blueiris server none of that will be a problem threw blueiris. Vera on the other had doesn't have many perks for video. Even taking video from the camera and passing it threw vera then to you is not ideal but will work. Motion and alerts will come from motion detection in blueiris and send an http out to vera via the plugin or a virtual motion sensor.

Operate in Vera is another issue. Vera has limited commands and options. Watching live is ok, but playing previous recordings all done threw blueiris app. 

Bottomline is when you get a motion notification open the blueiris app to view the cameras.

Offline Hottoy

• Sr. Newbie
Thanks for the insight.   I have not set up or tried blue iris with the current foscam cameras on the old system.   

Offline Hottoy

• Sr. Newbie
After additional research leaning toward Hikvision DS-2CD2722FWD-IZS or DS-2CD2742FWD-IZS.   Wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these camera's? 

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
After additional research leaning toward Hikvision DS-2CD2722FWD-IZS or DS-2CD2742FWD-IZS.   Wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these camera's?

Those definitely not the normally used cameras or popular ones I mean. Those are not PTZ (but I wouldnt recommend a PTZ anyways). It looks like those have a variable lens but thats it over the normal http://www.hikvision.ca/en/Products_accessries_10531_i37637.html or https://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2142FWD-I-Fixed-Network-2-8mm/dp/B013LR5B9I

Not use if your looking for a mic input wire on them or not.

Also domes are great for vandal resistance in a high traffic area but not so great for night pictures. Having the IR's behind the glass doesn't end up with the best picture and has some glare to it. Not sure if you need a dome but you might want to look into bullet vs. turret vs. dome. Turret about the middle option or best of both worlds vs. the dome and bullet.

I also wouldn;t drop below the 4MP camera picture anymore. I started out with 3's and now only use 4's. I pay around 100.00 each usually for my hikvision's now.

Offline Priest

I put in 36 of the DS-2CD2742FWD-IZS cameras Wednesday on a customer site.  The thing is, I could have happily put in the DS-2CD2142FWD-IS cameras with a fixed lens instead and had no problem. All the cameras were swung over to the 2.8mm setting for the widest viewing angle.  Someone ordered the more expensive option and it's kind of useless in most cases.  Also, integlikewhoa is correct that those are not PTZ. In the description where they say motorized, that means the zoom and focus can be done remotely, not Pan and Tilt. So it is a Z camera.  The most common use for that is if you have an area you want to see a wide angle on, but one point you might also want to zoom in on that is in the center of the frame. It is not a terribly common camera to be installed in my area either despite the fat that I just installed a whole site full of them.

I like dome cameras over bullets for the aesthetic value and vandal resistance, but they are a compromise. Might I suggest you look through the whole catalog, if you have not already, and see if something else fits a bit better to your needs.

http://oversea-download.hikvision.com/uploadfile/USA/PQG/PQG-Spring_Summer.pdf