We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Ivera Iphone scene to replace boiler timeclock question  (Read 2355 times)

Offline bpmaguire

Ivera Iphone scene to replace boiler timeclock question
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:17:53 pm »
Hi There,

I've been researching a home automation system so i can control my central heating remotely and im planning to buy a vera 2.
I plan to start with heating control and want to replace the traditional boiler timeclock with a boiler actuator or zwave power socket.

Will i be able to configure traditional daily on and off times directly on the iphone using scenes on the iphone or how would this be done? Some days when im always certain what time i'll be home i would like to use schedules rather than having to remember to turn the heat on.

Also I currently have a wired thermostat that i would like to replace to i can monitor the temperature in the house remotely. I have looked for mains powered wired zwave thermostats but cannot find any so if any of you guys know of one let me know.
When the current thermostat knocks off the heating when the room gets to the set temp it keeps the circulating pump inside the boiler working so i want to try and replicate this rather than removing all the power from the boiler.

Thanks,
Brian
Ireland

Offline Frasier

Re: Ivera Iphone scene to replace boiler timeclock question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 04:51:45 pm »
Hi Brian,
I have not used the iPhone apps as i use Android but the apps should allow you to operate any scenes or devices remotely. Vera has very good and flexible options for repeating or one time switching events. So you can set up multiple switching programmes for controlling your heating covering different times of the day and different days of the week. You can overide the setting by either using the web browser to adjust the control panel on the dashboard (probably a little tricky  on a small screen) or you can create scenes to turn on/off remotely with built in activation delays if required.

I have not seen a mains powered thermometer (with EU freq's) but the Everspring ST814 (not an actual thermostat though) batteries should last a year and you can check the battery health from the dashboard. Horstmann do properThermostats and switches and there are threads elsewhere on the forum that talk about them. The new Fibaro double relay switch would probably be a good solution for independant switching of the boiler and pump.

FYI - An Irish based Z-Wave online store has just opened: www.homebots.ie

Offline Frasier

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 05:15:46 pm »
If your existing thermostat is switching a live ouptut you could probably feed that into the fibaro switch input so it controls the pump as normal but you then have the option to override it using Vera. Won't give a remote temp reading or the ability to adjust temp remotely though.....

Offline racarter

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 06:15:12 pm »
Brian

I recently installed a Heatmiser wi-fi thermostat which is a direct replacement for the usual UK/Ireland mains thermostat.  The unit is programmable, so my time clock stays on all the time and the thermostat does the necessary switching.  I haven't managed to connect the Heatmiser to my Vera yet, but I know folks here are working on a plug-in to allow it.  Theres already a plug-in for the wired network version of the 'stat, but unless you can pull in a CAT5 cable from thermostat to a convenient point on your home network I suggest you have a look at the wi-fi version.  The only downside I have found is that, because my hot water is not separately switchable I have to have it on 24/7, but since I have a cylinder 'stat and a well-lagged tank I don't think this is a big issue.

Until the 'stat has a Vera plug-in there's an iPhone app to control things remotely, both from your house wi-fi and when away via the internet.  The latter requires a static IP address, but these are easy (and free) to set up via several providers.

Hope this helps.

Alan
Indigo, Vera Edge (for Datamine only), Everspring and TKBHOME socket switches, SM103 door detectors, Homepro ZRP210 appliance modules, Fibaro relay switches, EZMotion, Heatmiser thermostats, Netatmo Weather, Camera and Healthy Home, Hikvision DVR/CCTV, Sonos, Texecom, Diax motorised deadlock.