Author Topic: Code to pulse remote-start fob for car?  (Read 510 times)

Offline jrweiland

• Sr. Newbie
Code to pulse remote-start fob for car?
« on: July 16, 2017, 02:46:38 pm »
I'm trying to hook up my system so that I can remote-start my car through Vera.

This video is my inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCwEuBrlBsc

I have the GoControl Isolated Contact Fixture Module (FS20Z-1) hooked up to my keyfob.

My ultimate question: How can I set up a scene to pulse my remote? I'm assuming it needs to be done through PLEG or luup code, or even a Virtual Switch but I don't know how to do these things. The device is usually set to "OPEN". So the command should send a pulse that is: Closed for 1 second, open for 1 second, closed for 1 second, and then sets back to Open. Basically simulating 2 keyfob presses.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:16:15 pm by jrweiland »

Offline Alex Waverley

Re: Code to pulse remote-start fob for car?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 06:06:03 pm »
I'm trying to hook up my system so that I can remote-start my car through Vera.

This video is my inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCwEuBrlBsc

I have the GoControl Isolated Contact Fixture Module (FS20Z-1) hooked up to my keyfob.

My ultimate question: How can I set up a scene to pulse my remote? I'm assuming it needs to be done through PLEG or luup code, or even a Virtual Switch but I don't know how to do these things. The device is usually set to "OPEN". So the command should send a pulse that is: Closed for 1 second, open for 1 second, closed for 1 second, and then sets back to Open. Basically simulating 2 keyfob presses.

Thank you!

It is a really bad idea to start a car that you can't see. It's an even worse idea to automate the process in any way that has even the slightest chance of starting the vehicle inadvertently. You should visually verify that the vehicle is not parked in a garage or too near a home and that the exhaust is not blocked by deep snow before pushing the button on the fob (twice, which is a safety feature that you would be bypassing by automating the process).

Just saying.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 06:13:20 pm by Alex Waverley »
Please hold your applause until I have concluded my remarks.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:41:38 am »
I agree with @Alex Waverley, if you keep the vehicle in a garage, you should reconsider this. It doesn't make sense killing yourself and family with carbon monoxide poisoning because Vera/Alexa do something unexpected.

That said, this momentary relay scenario is often implemented in relation to garage door openers, which are discussed extensively on this forum.

You could use a scene. Action close, delayed action(1 sec) open, delayed action(2 sec) close, delayed action(3 sec) open.

Or as you said you could do it with PLEG.

As a final measure, since sometimes Z-Wave commands don't reach the switch for various reasons, it is possible that the switch could be turned On(closed) and remain on. There shouldn't be much harm from this, beyond killing the battery in the key FOB. But, in an effort to defend against this, I'd create a "safety" scene that that is triggered by the switch being turned On. The scene should have a 4 or 5 second delay and issue an Off(open) command.

Offline JuniorJedi

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 08:06:39 am »
If the car is parked in your garage, it would be wise to have some logic that only allows it to start if the garage is open - easily done in PLEG

Offline jrweiland

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:34:08 am »
Thanks everyone!

It worked-- created a scene with delayed actions.

I totally appreciate your concerns, I had them too and am avoiding the dangers you pointed out.  I don't park my car in the garage, so we're good there. And the car is wired to turn off after 10 minutes of idling, so it will not run indefinitely.

Love the idea of creating a safety Scene that turns the switch off if left on, I'll tackle that too.

Offline hax0rmort

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:52:04 am »
Cool idea and community banding together.  Nice.  Happy Automating.

Offline Jamr

• 007 Systems
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 02:17:00 pm »
The only thing I can add is to make sure the doors stay locked when the car is automatically started and running cycle. Don't make it any easier for thieves.
Also, if you do have it in the garage, make sure the garage door does not close unintentionally during the running cycle

Offline Alex Waverley

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 01:07:58 pm »
The only thing I can add is to make sure the doors stay locked when the car is automatically started and running cycle. Don't make it any easier for thieves.
Also, if you do have it in the garage, make sure the garage door does not close unintentionally during the running cycle

Exhaust can kill you even with the garage door open. Never run any engine inside a garage for more time that it takes to get the vehicle into or out of the garage. Always open the door before starting and kill the engine before closing the door. Many Darwin Awards have been given to those who have ignored this rule. It's higher up the list than straddling a tow rope or brazing an empty gas tank.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 06:06:39 pm by Alex Waverley »
Please hold your applause until I have concluded my remarks.

Offline Priest

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 02:17:00 pm »
I can hardly wait for the nightly heal to crank your car a 0300 every morning.... or Vera to take a bit of vacation and send the commands later.  :)

Good on you for getting it going, and if things were more reliable it would be a neat thing to add to many systems.

Offline Jamr

• 007 Systems
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 08:51:58 pm »

Exhaust can kill you even with the garage door open. Never run any engine inside a garage for more time that it takes to get the vehicle into or out of the garage. Always open the door before starting and kill the engine before closing the door. Many Darwin Awards have been given to those who have ignored this rule. It's higher up the list than straddling a tow rope or brazing an empty gas tank.

LOL...I agree. Do not ever sit in your car in the garage or in the garage when your car is running or when it is automatically started with your Home control system!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:54:20 pm by Jamr »