Author Topic: VeraPlus with Battery Pack  (Read 649 times)

Offline rjspindler

VeraPlus with Battery Pack
« on: July 18, 2017, 08:58:21 pm »
Purchased a veraplus controller packaged with a free battery pack.  Think I misunderstood the purpose of the battery pack.  Can it be connected "in-line" with the wall power to act as a short-term backup battery in the case of a power failure?

Offline JimMac

Re: VeraPlus with Battery Pack
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:53:00 pm »
Normally not.  The battery pack if it's anything like the ones I have are used to move your Vera to devices that require Vera to be close during inclusions/exclusions.
If you want to keep the battery pack connected at all times then you need a power cable that places the charger and battery in parallel.  It is very important that your power supply be an "intelligent" one that will not over charge the battery otherwise you will have safety issues.  The one that comes with the battery unit is not intelligent.

Offline mvader

Re: VeraPlus with Battery Pack
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 11:52:14 pm »
yeah agreed.
it's not meant to be a backup. you'll want a UPS for that situation.
the battery pack is so you can power your vera plus while taking the unit through the house.
for me, i only need to do that with devices that had to exchange security keys and the VP needed to be right next to them.
things like light switches, etc. worked while my vera was in a central location.
my cheap Chinese battery pack that i got with the VP has lost one of it's internal batteries. so i only get 15 minutes or so of power.
but thankfully i don't really need it.

depending on your situation, you may want a larger or smaller UPS
but if you are wanting to keep routers, switches, modems, or computers on for a while when the power is out, then you'll need a bigger UPS
typically though, if your power goes out, home automation is least of your concerns, and light switches and what not, don't work anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=UPS

something there should fit the bill