Author Topic: CT100 Thermostat "Can't Detect Device" and Amazon Alexa  (Read 463 times)

Offline Sammy2

CT100 Thermostat "Can't Detect Device" and Amazon Alexa
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:36:17 am »
Since this thread is locked, I'm starting a new thread as I was just coming in to inquire about this just now.

I have a CT100 Thermostat that says "Can't Detect Device" but does actually work in Vera when sent a command. I have lived with this falling of my mesh network for a year now not really worrying about it because it responded to Vera anyhow.

Along comes Alexa in my house to make it such that I'm not always grabbing my phone, tablet or laptop to issue a command. Alexa will say the device is offline and not execute the command. If I go to the thermostat and basically wake it up by maybe turning the temperature down, Alexa will now be able to communicate with it.

VersionInfo states: 3,3,28,8,7. How to get it upgraded to 3,3,28,9,1? I'd really like to use reliably it with Alexa.

Can I upgrade the f/w on it somehow?

Is there something in the coding of the Vera Skill for Alexa that will work around this issue?

Or do I need to sell it on eBay and order another one, hoping I get the later f/w?

I might cross post in the Alexa sub-forum but will hold it here unless there's no responses in this forum.

Mods move if more appropriate in the Alexa sub-forum.

TIA
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:03:20 pm by Sammy2 »

Offline Sammy2

Re: CT100 Thermostat "Can't Detect Device" and Amazon Alexa
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 01:18:58 pm »
Also, is there a way to tell what f/w it has by the outside of the thermostat? There's many on eBay for sale at reasonable enough prices.

Can Vera do a work around for this issue in their f/w?

Offline paulcusick3

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 09:10:36 am »
I cannot answer all your questions, but can provide a work around that mostly works for me.  I have 2 that are 9.1 that work fine and 2 that are 9.0 that loose the connection, but work via remote control. 

Workaround for the two that are 9.0:

I created a scene that runs on a every 60min schedule - I called it connect thermos

This scene sets the fan to auto (even though it already is set to that).  You have to set this in the advanced scene editor.
Code: [Select]
Service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_FanOperatingMode
SetMode: New Mode = Auto

This reconnects the 9.0 to Vera 100% of the time (1/hour)

There are times they loose connection between the hour.  If they do, and I want to use Alexa, I run the scene and then control themo. 
"Alexa Turn On Connect Thermos"; "Ok"; Alexa Set Main Floor to 68 Degrees"; "Ok"
Not great, but works.  I may change schedule to every 30mins to see if performance increases.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:12:57 am by paulcusick3 »

Offline paulcusick3

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 09:23:39 am »
Just a follow on note.  This workaround does not work to poll the humidity values... which I have not found a work around other than reconfiguring device.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 11:00:25 am »
I cannot answer all your questions, but can provide a work around that mostly works for me.  I have 2 that are 9.1 that work fine and 2 that are 9.0 that loose the connection, but work via remote control. 

Workaround for the two that are 9.0:

I created a scene that runs on a every 60min schedule - I called it connect thermos

This scene sets the fan to auto (even though it already is set to that).  You have to set this in the advanced scene editor.
Service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:HVAC_FanOperatingMode
SetMode: New Mode = Auto

This reconnects the 9.0 to Vera 100% of the time (1/hour)

There are times they loose connection between the hour.  If they do, and I want to use Alexa, I run the scene and then control themo. 
"Alexa Turn On Connect Thermos"; "Ok"; Alexa Set Main Floor to 68 Degrees"; "Ok"
Not great, but works.  I may change schedule to every 30mins to see if performance increases.

That works for me but I'd probably change the interval to something more often. BTW, What's the difference between "Auto", "Cool" and "Heat"? I never use "Auto" but rather use "Cool" in the summer and "Heat" in the winter. TIA

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 11:01:43 am »
Just a follow on note.  This workaround does not work to poll the humidity values... which I have not found a work around other than reconfiguring device.

I tried but gave up on polling "Humidity" to trigger the A/C to go on. Are you able to do something useful with polling "Humidity"?

TIA

Offline paulcusick3

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 03:57:46 pm »
The AUTO is on the FAN Mode, not Mode.  Mode is Auto, Cool, Heat.  I'm not sure the logic on Auto, I never use.  The Auto on Fan Mode means that the fan is only on when the unit is on.  ON is constant ON regardless of whether the unit is cooling or heating.... it is just moving air.  This of course is if you are controlling an air handler unit.  My heat is all baseboard and the two CT100s that have 9.0 do not cool, only heat, and do not have a fan... so it does nothing.

For the humidity; for the 9.1 units I have, they report humidity with a child device.  I use that value in PLEG to turn A/C on when about 68% if it is not already on and not in vacation mode....

pc

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 04:48:13 pm »
The AUTO is on the FAN Mode, not Mode.  Mode is Auto, Cool, Heat.  I'm not sure the logic on Auto, I never use.  The Auto on Fan Mode means that the fan is only on when the unit is on.  ON is constant ON regardless of whether the unit is cooling or heating.... it is just moving air.  This of course is if you are controlling an air handler unit.  My heat is all baseboard and the two CT100s that have 9.0 do not cool, only heat, and do not have a fan... so it does nothing.

For the humidity; for the 9.1 units I have, they report humidity with a child device.  I use that value in PLEG to turn A/C on when about 68% if it is not already on and not in vacation mode....

pc

I don't have any options other than "Off", "Auto", "Cool" and "Heat" when creating a scene. The Fan Controls are not exposed at all.

One of these days I'll have the time to dive into PLEG.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:51:24 pm by Sammy2 »

Offline shallowearth

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 05:04:34 pm »
The fan controls are only in advanced mode of the scene editor per above.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 05:17:30 pm »
The fan controls are only in advanced mode of the scene editor per above.

Yup. I was just now figuring that out and came back to get the code above. Thank you!

Offline MichaelCoffin

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 08:32:18 pm »
Also, is there a way to tell what f/w it has by the outside of the thermostat? There's many on eBay for sale at reasonable enough prices.

I have the same question, how can you tell from the packaging what firmware level the thermostat has?

-Mike

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 08:17:05 am »

I have the same question, how can you tell from the packaging what firmware level the thermostat has?

-Mike

Doesn't matter too much. The work around above makes it work..

I did ask RT about getting a f/w update on twitter and they said I'd have to send it and pay shipping each way so that is sort of out of the question..