We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: RFXCOM interface  (Read 114185 times)

Offline evanes

RFXCOM interface
« on: December 12, 2010, 02:14:01 pm »
I have previously developed an interface to an RFXCOM device.

With this device I can control HomeEasy or KAKU devices and receive messages from Oregon weather stations and operate Harrison curtain rails. The device supports many other protocols (X10, RFXmeter) for which I have no hardware to test...

Using luup I tried to develop a device to support this in Vera. But I have stumbled onto a problem. The RFXCOM device is connected to the network and has 2 separate ports for sending en receiving messages.

I thought I could develop a Primary device which creates 2 child devices, one for sending and one for receiving. But I found that did not work. It seems only the master device has support for network io.

How can I do this best? Should I create 2 separate devices, one for sending and one for receiving? And how can I best communicate between these two devices?

I need some direction here..

thanks Evert
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:58:31 pm by evanes »

Offline cedriclocqueneux

Re: RFXCOM interface
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 08:13:31 am »
I can't help you, sorry, but a RFXCOM plugin would be great, really ! Good luck !

Offline evanes

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 05:35:10 pm »
Anyone?  What to do if a device needs two serial connections? Do you make 1 parent and 2 childs? Or 2 Parents which communication between the two.

Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:13:50 am by evanes »

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 08:46:18 pm »
I've never tried it, so you're going to be blazing a trail with this config.  You may be able to use a combination of "attaching" the [Ethernet] for "reading" events to the Parent, and then writing specific Lua code inside (using LuaSocket) to "call out" to send the write events to the device.

If you do this, then you'll at least get all the standard data events being delivered to you code, and have some of the Parsing stuff (cf, cflf, stx-etx, raw) to use, depending upon how the command responses are structured.

Offline reeferjon

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:39:22 pm »
I wish you every success with this... please let me know if I can help with testing. I'm seriously considering purchasing a load of HomeEasy devices because they're so much cheaper than the Z-Wave equivalents in the UK.

I already have a Vera2 with various other Z-wave devices. ;D

Offline evanes

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 08:22:12 am »
Reeferjon, unfortunately my time is sparse. I will post progress on this forum when I get something working...

But a word of warning about homeeasy is necessary. I have looked at pretty much all technologies available at the moment. I have an old house so I prefer those solutions which prevent me having to break open walls, ceilings and floors. Powerline communication and wireless communication are then the only two realistic technologies. I have a 3 phase power system in my house, meaning that I need a lot of extra hardware voor powerline comm and the speed of communication is very limited.

The wireless option seems more likely. I started with homeeasy because it is cheap and widely available. I also installed curtain rails with a wireless interface, both can be programmed through the rfxcom system. The good thing about rfxcom are the elaborate protocols they support.

But now the bad news. The protocol of the homeeasy and kaku devices is awfull. My primary issue is that it is very unreliable. You never know if a device will or has responded. When you press a button on a Homeeasy device it will send the command 4 times just to hope the signal will be received by an appliance. Terrible system, there is no way of knowing if a device received the signal.  

If you ask my advice go with something else! It may seem cheap but it will always be expensive in the long run when you have to exchange all devices for something that works.

The reason I need an interface to rfxcom is because I like the exercise of programming.. and I have a curtain rail that I want to send commands to..

The primary reason I started using vera is the possibility of combining multiple technologies. Enocean has the best sensors with energy harvesting, zwave has good actors for dimming and switching with good networking possiblities and homeeasy has some dirt cheap functions for simple things like opening curtains...  And vera makes me use all of them together.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:54:58 am by evanes »

Offline evanes

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:04:58 pm »
Finally got some data processed:

50   12/21/10 2:02:15.037   luup_log:41: [HOMEEASY: Device: 000E870A Unit: 11 Command: on ( p: 12 i: 0 )]

50   12/21/10 2:02:16.023   luup_log:41: [HOMEEASY: Device: 000E870A Unit: 11 Command: off ( p: 12 i: 0 )]

now I need some sleep....

Offline evanes

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 06:23:35 pm »
And first very alpha version is up and running.

see http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_rfxcom

not a lot of controlling going on yet.. mainly logging...

Offline cedriclocqueneux

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 11:40:49 am »
Hi ! Support of Oregon Scientific sensors would be great, do you have info about this ?

Offline evanes

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 02:01:22 pm »
I don't have that kind of device.

But someone in my neighborhood does. I regularly receive the following message:

[OREGONWGR918: WIND3 Device: AA Direction: 400 Speed:  2.20 Speed av:  1.80]

The code for decoding this message is in I_RFXCOM.xml.  You might need to extend it for other Oregon devices. Or send me the raw data of the message and let me decode it for you.

see details in: http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_rfxcom

Offline cedriclocqueneux

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 03:10:24 am »
The new RFXCOM is now xpl compatible. It will be great if Vera could support xpl: Vera could be use Oregon Scientifci Sensor, OWL, etc...
Do you think possible to use xpl on your plugin ?

Offline bfromdruten

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 02:14:41 pm »
I'm looking for a alarm system which can be linked to the Vera so I can use the alarm system sensors.

Is it possible with this plugin and the rfxcom LAN transceiver (with the 868.95MHz Visonic receiver) to use all Visonic Powermax Pro sensors with the vera?

Is the plugin stable?

Offline evanes

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 05:41:13 am »
I looked at xpl. Seems like another way of communicating. Not too complex. But a little bit beside the point to vera. Perhaps it is a good alternative to Vera?

I currently have too little time to work on this project.

The status of the rfxcom code is more of a starting point. It now only logs information from some devices. It needs to be expanded in order to control more devices. I currently use it to control a harrison curtain.

good luck trying it out.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:29:47 pm by evanes »

Offline bfromdruten

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 03:32:19 pm »
I'm new to the vera and luup development. My job is quite busy, but I have coding experiance with C/C++, C#. How hard is it to extend current implementation? At the start of the discussion you mentioned a problem with different ports for sending and receiving. Is this problem solved?

Before I will buy the powermax and rfxcom I wou ld like to know where I immerse myself in.

Offline evanes

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 05:28:54 pm »
Hmm, difficult question to answer.

Vera is ok, but has its faults, stability is one, and platform support is the other. Lua is a very limited programming language and Luup has a limited programming model.

On the other hand Vera does the job best of all the hardware devices to control multiple systems that I have come across. Read also my website on the enocean technology, see www.esweb.nl.

Also the rfxcom platform has many limitations for the devices that I use (KAKU and Harrison). The support from the company is excellent.

Perhaps my best advice to you is to contact Bert at rfxcom and ask his advise for interfacing the powermax alarm system. I know they are working on support the xpl protocol. Perhaps you should take a look at that platform first.

The code that I developed is very rudimentary and needs a lot of work.

Is it complex? No. I too am a c# developer with a little experience at embedded development. And I managed to get quite far.

If you dare to take the challenge I would be glad to answer any questions you might have.  I found the vera forum is quite active and your best bet to get answers from.

good luck!