Author Topic: To Wi-Fi or Z-wave on t-stats  (Read 482 times)

Offline MrRocco

• Sr. Newbie
To Wi-Fi or Z-wave on t-stats
« on: July 20, 2017, 07:14:46 pm »
Hi folks, I know this has been discussed on various threads throughout the years. However I figured I would try to consolidate opinions in one thread (yeah, I'm trying to get the "Internet" to agree on an opinion!  :o )

Anyhow, I'm going so upgrade my multi-zone system to something modern that supports connectivity. Going with the Honeywell Truezone. I have wires in all of the t-stat locations because the old system had wired t-stats. That means I don't have to use wireless to connect them. There are basically 3 categories I could go with, and multitudes of prices points within those categories. BTW, this is to a VeraLite, but maybe someday I'll throw an upgraded VeraXXX as my controller.

• Z-wave native: Units such as the Trane, Honeywell, Evobee, etc ZW capable
  • WiFi: Honeywell (WiFi, Lyric, etc), Nest, Trane, many more
  • Redlink: Honeywell wireless proprietary requiring a Redlink Gateway

If I go with Honeywell Wifi/Redlink or any other wifi model I have to go Cloud-2-Cloud, and with ZW it would be limited to local control except through the Vera. I can't decide if that is good/bad/indifferent.

Without spending a kings ransom on the 4 t-stats I need, I would like to get the following features:

• Ability to remotely adjust set point
  • Ability to include in scenes/automate
  • Read current temp in zone
  • Ability to control fan mode
  • Program multi-day schedules maybe
  • Something neat I don't even know about since I have a limited system now

Please bring the sage advice, wisdom of experience and collect power of the Interwebs.

Thanks!

Offline Sammy2

Re: To Wi-Fi or Z-wave on t-stats
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 07:36:01 pm »
Radio Thermostats are cheap on eBay and will do what you want.

Offline Chrisfraser05

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 07:59:19 am »
I'd go zwave all the way.

Zwave is going to be more robust than Wi-Fi, and going proprietary is only going to at best allow cloud control.

At least with z wave you can replace your controller with any other z wave controller as time goes on such as homeseer, a new Vera or one of the many new ones just around the corner.

The biggest plus is building your network out to be more robust.

I'd recommend using a third party app such as Imperihome to control your Vera

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 11:26:21 am »
I also say z-wave. Direct control not relying on the manufactures cloud service and a plugin to get from the thermostat to your controller.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 11:28:33 am »
I'd go zwave all the way.

Zwave is going to be more robust than Wi-Fi, and going proprietary is only going to at best allow cloud control.

At least with z wave you can replace your controller with any other z wave controller as time goes on such as homeseer, a new Vera or one of the many new ones just around the corner.

The biggest plus is building your network out to be more robust.

I'd recommend using a third party app such as Imperihome to control your Vera

Do you have a link? Thanks.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 03:09:20 pm »
Do you have a link? Thanks.

Main:
http://www.evertygo.com/imperihome

Andriod:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imperihome.lite&hl=en

IOS:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imperihome/id987826098?mt=8

You need paid version after some testing to get more features and pages. Import and export and such only on paid.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 10:19:41 pm »
I suggest the RTS ct101,  available from Lowe's under the iris brand for $60. It works with a wide range of HVAC systems and can run on batteries or a C wire.

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 10:46:02 pm »
Count me in on the Z-Wave camp. WiFi t-stats are far easier to hack than a zwave one and the last thing you want is some hacker (Putin is sending them!) turning your house in an ice rink or a sweat lodge. Which are the best of the worse. Which is messing around with it so bad that it breaks. Granted, vera to is hackable but not as easily.

I try to stay away from cloud solutions as much as I can since those need an internet connection to fully function. I'm in Florida so when (not if) a hurricane hits, most likely the internet will be down for days. As will electricity. The latter is not a big issue as part of my hurricane kit is a generator.  since I recently switched to t-mobile I'm trying to figure out how to hook my network up (tether) to my phone. (Which T-Mobile gives me 10GB a month for at no extra charge)  So I'll have somewhat of an internet if the mobile towers are still up. 
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 02:16:32 am »
I have both Zwave thernostat and a WiFi in the same house (ecobee).  The Ecobee is a good thernostat if you want to utilize it's own  intelligence including the remote sensors  with just minimal control of states from Vera. As others have said, it's a cloud API so any issues with that API could cause unexpected results. 
If you plan on using Vera to maintain your home, away, sleep, vacation states and will essentially ignore the intelligence of the wifi thermostat, then there is no real value to going WiFi and I would go Zwave. Security issues aside, wifi is a poor choice for  IOT connections. Especially with how bad most consumer wifi is.
Personally, I would go back to my Zwave thermostat if not for the easy remote sensors logic and the discount I get from the local utility this year. The cloud API has given me issues in some random cases.

@BOFH, easy solution to your problem. Get a WiFi bridge and connect that to your routers backup wan port if it exists or just swap cables in case of outsge. Then have it connect to your phone tether SSID. Ideally your router supports a backup wan and you can restrict the cellular connection to critical traffic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 10:08:21 am »
@BOFH, easy solution to your problem. Get a WiFi bridge and connect that to your routers backup wan port if it exists or just swap cables in case of outsge. Then have it connect to your phone tether SSID. Ideally your router supports a backup wan and you can restrict the cellular connection to critical traffic.

@niharmetha: That's the solution I was thinking of as well. Unfortunately 5GHz versions are $40 and up. 2.4Ghz ones are a lot cheaper. For example the one below which should do the job. Not to worried about congestion on the 2.4GHz
band if the power is out.  8)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vonets-VAR11N-300-WiFi-Wireless-300Mbps-Networking-Router-WiFi-Bridge-WiFi-Repeater-Power-Supply-by-USB/32725248794.html
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 03:58:04 pm »
Something similar to that or VAP11G would work.  The same module is $4 more on Amazon but reviews are not great.  For $20 range there are a bunch of options with US shipping and Amazon flexibility.   Completely agree on the congestion.  Your cellular will be the bottleneck and   I suspect that after a hurricane, the amount of 2.4ghz interference will be dramatically less.
2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 07:13:08 pm »
I'd probably by from Amazon for the customer service buy AliExpress has more of a range of possibilities. :-) Although I see 'shipped from us' popping up there more as well.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus

Offline MrRocco

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 03:01:23 pm »
Thanks for all of the responses. Some agreement here.

Based on what I have read I am going to try a single RTS CT80 for my downstairs system. Starting with the WiFi only module but I can add ZW later if I want. When it comes to my 4-zone MZ upstairs, I will go with some flavor of the RTS. Not every zone needs the capabilities of a CT80.

Good stuff all around. Love the forums.

Best

Offline MrRocco

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 11:58:58 am »
I read, but I did not completely listen. For a single zone first floor HVAC I started with a WiFi enabled CT80 RTS unit. I might add zwave as well. I know there is a cloud factor when controlling from an app, but for local control the Vera talks directly on the LAN. However, I am having trouble getting the RTS plugin to talk to the tstat. Can anyone confirm if it works in UI7? Before you say, "I told you so" I have my reasons to wanting wifi on this unit (mainly the wunderground integration).

Help is appreciated if you can offer a pointer.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 12:22:55 pm »
I have my reasons to wanting wifi on this unit (mainly the wunderground integration).

I use the Weatherunderground plug-in and PLEG to integrate with my CT101.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.