Author Topic: hive thermastat  (Read 118 times)

Offline elvincent

hive thermastat
« on: July 21, 2017, 12:09:52 am »
my energy company offered me a Hive Thermostat with a new contract and it "checks all the boxes" as to being able to connect ... smart/connected thermostat ... has a app and web interface ... believe works on the ZigBee network ... but unfortunately there is no plugin in the store and no direct way to add, even if I try to add a generic device. I'm using a VeraPlus and any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Offline Chrisfraser05

Re: hive thermastat
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 07:53:45 am »
Replace it with a nest or Zwave is my advice

Offline jswim788

Re: hive thermastat
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 04:56:28 pm »
This is probably too much work, but you might be able to use the REST API to communicate with it: http://www.smartofthehome.com/2016/05/hive-rest-api-v6/

I know almost zilch about this device, but it appears to use a LAN based hub to communicate with the thermostat which may be via Zigbee as you suggest.  If that is true, then the REST API is communicating with the gateway.

It is entirely possible to communicate with REST, but it is a lot of work to fully emulate a thermostat in Vera.  On the other hand, what I discovered is that I want very little of the thermostat functionality and I don't really need a thermostat interface.  I want to know the current temperature, and have a way to change the settings from the lua program in scenes.  This is much easier, but still requires some programming.

None of this is trivial.  It can be a good learning project depending on your goals.