Author Topic: GUI Requests :: Interface Design  (Read 816 times)

Offline gniknalu

GUI Requests :: Interface Design
« on: July 21, 2017, 09:14:53 am »
There are three things I would love to have as a part of an enhanced GUI for mobile devices:

#1:  Tactile feedback. I have a hard time telling if what I clicked was actually accepted by the GUI due to the delay in displaying the responding action. Tactile feedback is a way of acknowledging, "Yes, you clicked this. Hold on while we make it happen."

#2: Improved GUI interaction. My question has always been, "Do I slide left/right or press on the icon to unlock my door?" The Icon for locking/unlocking APPEARS to be a sliding operation but in reality is a PRESS. Differentiating between the two would be a nice thing to see. If I'm required to press, make the icon representative of the action required.

#3: For Android - Screen widgets that can actually be used to interact with your devices and display status. For example, a widget to change modes. A widget to lock/unlock doors. (See #1 and #2 with these widget designs.)

Thanks for your time

Offline Nettuno

Re: GUI Requests :: Interface Design
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 07:50:01 am »
"My Modes" is a bug of a sick mind ... useless and senseless :-\
It seems that VERA has given up a logical and serious interface ... I suggest what everyone does, download Imperihome app  8).
Greetings

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 09:52:43 am »
Or have you tried the excellent AltUI plugin and the modern interface that it supports.
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P.
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, DataYours, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline Nettuno

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 10:07:08 am »
yes, I've tried plugin AltUI and it's better than "My modes" but it does not have a simple interaction, complicated settings and very limited.
On Imperihome I can put ipcam video, video door phone, weather widgets, can talk about many situations ... and can handle different controllers simultaneously.

Offline amg0

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 10:12:16 am »
You may try the new ? my home ? page of altui beta on github/altui. It features a full house one page view with easy access to device and scenes , all in a nice masonry layout with responsive design based on device form factor and customizable photos for. Rooms.

Offline Nettuno

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 11:35:01 am »
Hi, I have version 1.91 of AltUI (always better than "My Modes" ;D) but, with all respect for work, it is really slow and unobtrusive !! .. very far from an intuitive interface like Imperihome (which is configured in 5 minutes).

Imperihome only costs 7 euro for multi platform, and supports:
- Different control systems at the same time
- Modelable Graphic Interface
- animated and replaceable icons
- Web cam
- Link web
- Widget commands of different sizes
- Vocal Commands
- Vocal Answers

ALTUI what does he do? .. and for what it does, how much does it cost? :-X

For years I've been using Vera systems, I think (personal opinion) that if you want a minimum of success, you should erase everything and concentrate on the simple plan, touch interaction and voice response commands ... minimizing the steps, with application for Android etc ... and that costs less than 7 euro
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:25:11 pm by Nettuno »

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 05:57:20 am »
Hi peeps,

Wanted to ping in and add that this topic has been reported to our head mobile team and feedback has been already collected.

Keep it coming.  8)
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline jlind

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 09:37:57 am »
All great ideas.  I currently use Imperihome while mobile and the standard browser app (ver 7) while on the PC.  Imperihome has a great simple interface that also has the ability to be made much more complicated if I want it to be.  The only downfall I see with Imperihome is that custom pages are difficult to clone to other devices (i.e. standardize a homes interface) so I don't really use them.  If I could copy to other devices easily over the internet it would be even better.  I like AltUI also, but I haven't really gotten too involved with it primarily because of the odd domain name that I need to go through to use it remotely.  I do most of my work on the system while out of network.

For me, the mobile app really needs to have a super clean basic interface (at least initially) so that I can teach my wife to use it.  Basically with home automation, what good is it if only 1 person in the house knows how to use it effectively?  My google home has really closed much of the gap here, but the mobile app should be able to simply do the more complicated stuff without being too difficult.
VeraLite/VeraPlus with UI7, Multiple GE switches, GE Outlets, Aeon Smart Switches, Minimote, GE Portable outlets  Apps: (Pentair Autelis Plugin, Weather Underground, Honeywell WiFi Thermo, System Monitor, AlternateUI)

Offline dagrider

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 11:13:54 am »
1. I would love for the thermostat functionality to be expanded to include scheduling of set points (based on Heat/Cool mode) and a filter change reminder based on run-time. These are things that non-smart thermostats can do.

2. Also would like for at least the Centralite Thermostat (don't know if true for other thermostats) to report that the unit is running based upon the thermostat actually turning on/off the unit, rather than when the set point temperature reaches the set point target. The Centralite turns on the AC when the temperature is one degree over the set point and turns it off when the temperature is one degree below the set point. So I am getting false on/off reported by Vera. I think I submitted a ticket for this.

3. The zigbee spec supports Hold on the thermostats, but when I set hold on my Centralite Thermostat, the Vera doesn't realize it. In order for my set point functionality to work properly, I need to not try to send commands to the thermostat if it is on hold. I already submitted a ticket for this.

4. To mimic the filter usage functionality with the thermostat, I wrote a plug-in that tracks the thermostat run time and reports when the filter needs to be changed. It works well with the web app, but some of the UI elements are not showing in the Windows app. I submitted a ticket and was told that there are still some issues in having the mobile apps replicate what is seen in the web app. I would like to see this fixed so my plugin can be used in the Windows app.

Offline Nettuno

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 05:46:53 pm »
UI8 ? 8)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:59:01 pm by Nettuno »

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 06:21:47 pm »
The android app is useless so I have to use chrome mobile and either the local ip address of the Controller when at home or  home.getvera.com when I am not on the WAN.

This effects many things making them useless in the app. Here's some screen grabs to demonstrate what I'm refering to.

The first is Harmony Control Plugin. App has nothing active. Web interface in Chrome is fully funtional.

The second pool control panel Plugin. Again, nothing to select in the app but the web interface is totally functional.

I don't even use the app anymore because it is pointless to do so.

Below, are screenshots of the vast difference between the dysfunctional and useless app and Chrome Mobile Browser. None of the shown devices work at all in the app but work fine in a browser window and work fine on my wife's iPhone as well.

While we're at it, how about a better bulletin board, like one where you can actually embed pictures in the post? This bulletin board is about as archaic as the app.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 06:29:33 pm »
I already opened a request via email on this and was told by Juan Pablo that he passed it on to the android developers but I was never given a case number so I have no way to even follow up on it.

The gist of most of the emails I got was this isn't something Vera Cares much about, almost as if I was being a pain in the butt. Here's a quote:

"This is not an issue (we are not promoting anywhere that thise (SiC) should work) so we can not really handle what is not developed by us and when we make changes to our platform/API, it could very well impact some plugins like the Pool Control Plugin developer confirmed to you."

And in another email:

"What we can do from the Customer Care team is create a ticket to let our mobile developers know about this particular situation working on iOS but not working on Android. If they decide it is something that can be done without impacting anything else (other critical tasks ) and they can start working on it immediately, they will do it and it will be reflected in future releases. If they have some more things to work on (from what we offer on our official features and compatibility) they will surely will keep working on the official things.

Hopefully the scenario is the first one so you continue being our customer. If that is not case, we will be hoping to improve our system so you return to us in the future and enjoy a better experience."

Offline dagrider

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 07:11:54 pm »
I already opened a request via email on this and was told by Juan Pablo that he passed it on to the android developers but I was never given a case number so I have no way to even follow up on it.

The gist of most of the emails I got was this isn't something Vera Cares much about, almost as if I was being a pain in the butt. Here's a quote:

"This is not an issue (we are not promoting anywhere that thise (SiC) should work) so we can not really handle what is not developed by us and when we make changes to our platform/API, it could very well impact some plugins like the Pool Control Plugin developer confirmed to you."

And in another email:

"What we can do from the Customer Care team is create a ticket to let our mobile developers know about this particular situation working on iOS but not working on Android. If they decide it is something that can be done without impacting anything else (other critical tasks ) and they can start working on it immediately, they will do it and it will be reflected in future releases. If they have some more things to work on (from what we offer on our official features and compatibility) they will surely will keep working on the official things.

Hopefully the scenario is the first one so you continue being our customer. If that is not case, we will be hoping to improve our system so you return to us in the future and enjoy a better experience."

I got the same vibe when I asked why my plugin didn't work in the Windows App. Marc Shenker (no longer an employee) was really nice and even asked the Windows app lead to contact me, but that never happened. What really floors me is that the label and variable control types are what is not working! That is BASIC stuff...and the layout file is json for heaven's sake! I have developed web apps and Windows apps so I understand the apps may not be implemented the same way, but the app experience should be the same no matter how the user interfaces with the system. Apparently this has been a problem for a while with no fix, so I'm not holding my breath.

Offline dagrider

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 07:15:41 pm »
"My Modes" is a bug of a sick mind ... useless and senseless :-\
It seems that VERA has given up a logical and serious interface ... I suggest what everyone does, download Imperihome app  8).
Greetings

Different strokes for different folks...I actually like My Modes ;D

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 01:45:40 pm »
Hi peeps,

Wanted to ping in and add that this topic has been reported to our head mobile team and feedback has been already collected.

Keep it coming.  8)

Any more updates on GUI updates?

(For me specifically, the issues with the Android App rendering it useless)