Author Topic: Z-Wave Lock and Emergency Exit?  (Read 225 times)

Offline Smerk

Z-Wave Lock and Emergency Exit?
« on: July 21, 2017, 10:18:50 am »
Hello,

I work at a church and a lot of times our secretary is alone in the building. I'd like to setup a way for her to unlock the exterior door remotely as well as know who is there. Knowing who is there is easily solved but the lock part has me stumped. The door I'd like to install the remote lock on is a large metal door with a push bar for emergency exits. I need to keep it as an emergency exit and haven't found a system that keeps the door locked from the outside but always open on the inside. I'd love for the lock to be something she can control with her phone but I'm not sure something like that exists. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Stephen

(p.s. If I'm in the wrong place I apologize)

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
Re: Z-Wave Lock and Emergency Exit?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 06:32:29 pm »
Most panic hardware allows you to lock it from the outside by engaging the latch.  Try finding the manufacturer's installation instructions. A lot use a hex key to set the latch, which locks it from the outside, while still working from the inside.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Online Priest

Re: Z-Wave Lock and Emergency Exit?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 03:30:37 pm »
The door I'd like to install the remote lock on is a large metal door with a push bar for emergency exits. I need to keep it as an emergency exit and haven't found a system that keeps the door locked from the outside but always open on the inside.

There are actually a ton of options, but they are more on the commercial access control and electrically controlled lock side of things.  To go along with the decisions you will be making, you have to keep in mind the NFPA 101 code requirements for egress as well as any local or state codes where they may have superseded the federal code.

If you can take a picture of the inside and outside of the door to show the egress crash bar and the locking style as well as provide a model number for the crash bar and lock it would be helpful.  Your options will depend on if it is a horizontal or vertical rim exit device, internal or external vertical rod device, mortice style lock with a crash bar integrated, etc, etc.... the options are widely varying.

From there the decision will be if you want it to be a true wireless lock or if it is acceptable for it to be a wired lock to run the door. For example, if you were to use a Salto wireless door lock with crash bar you have to replace certain lock components as well as have a wireless transceiver to communicate with the lock.  If you are using a horizontal rim exit lock, you could replace the strike plate with a surface mount HES9500 electric strike, wire power to it over some 18/2 cable and whenever power is applied the door unlocks. The crash bar lets you leave with no electronic interaction required, so you are safe for code pretty much no matter what.  The power can be applied through a lot of different means, from a simple push button, a controlled output on the alarm system, part of an access control system, or even a z-wave relay like would be found in a MIMO.

I design and build commercial access control systems as part of my job. I can find you all the resources you need if you give me a bit of information on what you have and what you can work with for control.