Author Topic: Old vera user - having issues.  (Read 501 times)

Offline mysticalice

• Sr. Newbie
Old vera user - having issues.
« on: July 28, 2017, 01:19:14 pm »
Hi
I'm a big fan of vera and z-wave controls in general.  I can think of at least 8 or 9 friends of mine that have purchased Vera controllers based on my recommendation.
I have the older "Vera 3" device, with at least 50 z wave devices.  I have extensive automation built in (using PLEG), everything from lights at certain times of the day, to turning on the dog house AC/heat when motion is detected, etc.

However, the last few weeks I've been having problems with it.  It will be powered on, but just the 'power' light and maybe 'lan' lights are on.  the 'z-wave' light is not, so automation is not occurring.  It's unnerving coming home at night and being the only house on the street with NO lights on outside or inside. 

Wondering what I should do.  I'm fine to upgrade to a completely new controller, but it would be a PAIN to have to rejoin all z wave devices.  I have backups of the existing config on the current controller, is it possible to load that somewhere else?

Current firmware:  1.6.641 
Shows that the 'latest version' is:  1.7.730 
But I'd also heard there are some issues with firmware.  I'm a firm believer of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality when it comes to non critical items.

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
Re: Old vera user - having issues.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 01:29:28 pm »
Hi there,

Actually your current firmware is a "transition" firmware to UI7. And it's one of the least recommended ones to be on.
While you could migrate to UI7 or a new unit all together, there are pros and cons. The only pro I can see is the ability to keep the settings for less of a hassle. The cons in my opinion greatly exceed the benefits because a migrated setup is always prone to system instability and possible z-wave issues, as stated here in the disclaimer: http://support.getvera.com/customer/portal/articles/2337105
The most solid option will be of course a clean start, if you decide to upgrade to a new unit. You will have our full support in any decision you will take.

In any case, logging a case with our support team will help you take the best decision. See my signature.
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline mysticalice

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 12:21:28 pm »
Thanks -
I'm not opposed to getting another unit - I'm assuming if I do there's no way to import settings into it? It would be a pain to have to rejoin 50+ devices, but not the end of the world if so.

Would I need to 'unpair' every device from the old unit before pairing it with the new one?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 03:04:54 pm »
The newer Vera devices have the next gen z-wave chip. Folks have had a range of success moving their configuration. But most ultimately rebuild from scratch to get rid of a few minor, but nagging, bugs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline Priest

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 05:04:03 pm »
Actually your current firmware is a "transition" firmware to UI7. And it's one of the least recommended ones to be on.

This is the line to look at right here.

Im also running a Vera3 and I have a slightly smaller, but similar setup to you. You having PLEG going full time has you doing more than me there, but I am running a few plugins that pull other information in, and I'm linked up to Imperihome.  Earlier this year I upgraded to Firmware 1.7.919 and the system has never been more stable.  All my Vera problems have gone away.  While the system is nagging me to upgrade to 1.7.963, I am resistant to that since for the first time in years nothing is broken or breaking.  I dont know why your "latest version" is lower than my now many months old version with us both running a Vera 3..... but my 2 cents would be to bump that firmware up to whatever it is suggesting and then see if you can get to 1.7.919....that one is the stuff.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 08:52:35 pm »

This is the line to look at right here.

Im also running a Vera3 and I have a slightly smaller, but similar setup to you. You having PLEG going full time has you doing more than me there, but I am running a few plugins that pull other information in, and I'm linked up to Imperihome.  Earlier this year I upgraded to Firmware 1.7.919 and the system has never been more stable.  All my Vera problems have gone away.  While the system is nagging me to upgrade to 1.7.963, I am resistant to that since for the first time in years nothing is broken or breaking.  I dont know why your "latest version" is lower than my now many months old version with us both running a Vera 3..... but my 2 cents would be to bump that firmware up to whatever it is suggesting and then see if you can get to 1.7.919....that one is the stuff.

He is on UI6. I was on that for a while but UI7 has been very stable for me. I recommend upgrading from UI6.

I have not updated to the latest firmware because it breaks DataMine2 and it is pain to set it up again. I have not had time to research how to save my settings and restore them so I am just delaying the update.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline Priest

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 07:33:18 am »
He is on UI6. I was on that for a while but UI7 has been very stable for me. I recommend upgrading from UI6.

Oh.... the first time i unboxed Vera and plugged her in it upgraded to UI6 and then didnt work for 2 months. After the guys at tech support downgraded it to UI5 it worked okay. After I upgraded to UI7 in 2016 it worked better and the firmware Im on now works perfectly for the things I am using. 

My only experience with UI6 is basically what he has going on....nothing works

Offline Joenoo

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 03:58:16 am »
I have a Vera3 too and decided to upgrade to 1.7.963. Big disappointment. Suddenly several devices are not visible in the GUI any more, but they do seem to work and I can also control them from other devices (my phone for instance). Did the upgrade and restore backup-proces multiple times but to no avail  :'(

Because everything still works it is not devastating, but it stil sucks monkey balls. Especially since I was in the proces of buying a new unit (Vera Plus) and I cannot exclude the missing devices now  :-\
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:00:29 am by Joenoo »
Vera3, Rfxcom, 4X Greenwave NP310-f, 4x hue, 3x Aeotec ZW089, 3x ZME WallC-S, 2x ZME 05461, 2x Milight, 2x Fibaro FGMS-001, 2x Fibaro FGS-221, 1x Vison ZP3102, PLEG, Harmony Control, Multiswitch. Mobile: AutoVera, Autonotification, Homewave.
Vera user since: 2014, flashed unit since then: 5x

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 08:12:18 am »
@Joenoo

In regards to the missing/hidden devices. If you are willing to exclude/reinclude the z-wave devices, or reinstall plugin, if they are plugin generated devices, this should solve the problem. Otherwise check with our support team as well to see if there is any available solution to this.

Missing devices can be excluded. They don't have to be visible to do that. Just put Vera in exclude mode (devices->add devices->generic z-wave devices->next->next -> retry : you should see Add/Remove : Remove devices now... ) in the status bar. Now go to the device you want to exclude, and do the excluding process on it.

Hope this helps.
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline Joenoo

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 09:01:26 am »
Thanks John M, of course you're right about excluding. Still, I'm gonna wait until this bug is resolved before buying a Vera Plus.
Vera3, Rfxcom, 4X Greenwave NP310-f, 4x hue, 3x Aeotec ZW089, 3x ZME WallC-S, 2x ZME 05461, 2x Milight, 2x Fibaro FGMS-001, 2x Fibaro FGS-221, 1x Vison ZP3102, PLEG, Harmony Control, Multiswitch. Mobile: AutoVera, Autonotification, Homewave.
Vera user since: 2014, flashed unit since then: 5x