Author Topic: Warning - VENTING! - Vera Plus and Zigbee  (Read 3847 times)

Offline dagrider

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Warning - VENTING! - Vera Plus and Zigbee
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 09:12:20 am »
I just bought a Hubitat hub...works just like SmartThings (including Groovy and device handlers and apps) only everything is local. It is brand new right now so not feature rich (no phone app yet), but they are quickly adding functionality. They added a dashboard just a week or so ago.

My zigbee Centralite Pearl thermostat never worked right in Vera, even though it is officially supported...just not completely supported, and when I contacted support they were pretty clueless about my detailed questions. Last night I was able to get it to do what I want in Hubitat by writing my own device handler, spring boarding off a SmartThings device handler.

I tried to write a plug-in to track when the thermostat fan was running so I could determine when it was time to change the filter. This was how I found out that the thermostat was not completely supported. The plug-in worked well in the web app, but in the Windows app it wouldn't show the buttons. This was over a year ago and still not fixed. Maybe the new UI would fix that, maybe not.

I waited for a LONG time for Vera to support changing color temp on my Lightify bulbs, until finally I gave up and bought a Hue hub and bulbs. I don't even have the Hue hub set up under Vera.

I struggled trying to get the Vistacam 700 to work properly within Vera, and when I contacted support and told them that the web browser interface to the camera wasn't working because of something missing in the camera's software package (I was trying to troubleshoot the camera), I was told it was only supposed to be used within Vera and I should use a "modern browser". I was not very happy about that.

I really do like the Vera interface, but if it can't support (and properly support) the devices that I have or want to get, then it's no good for me. Probably the final nail in the coffin was the new UI...I want solid device support more than I want a "better" UI. I almost have all my devices moved over to the Hubitat hub.

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 09:36:07 am »
"All of the devices are LOCAL" on which system?  Vera or SmartThings?

Vera is local.  SmartThings is mostly cloud based.

Offline rafale77

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 08:38:14 pm »
I just bought a Hubitat hub...works just like SmartThings (including Groovy and device handlers and apps) only everything is local. It is brand new right now so not feature rich (no phone app yet), but they are quickly adding functionality. They added a dashboard just a week or so ago.

My zigbee Centralite Pearl thermostat never worked right in Vera, even though it is officially supported...just not completely supported, and when I contacted support they were pretty clueless about my detailed questions. Last night I was able to get it to do what I want in Hubitat by writing my own device handler, spring boarding off a SmartThings device handler.

I tried to write a plug-in to track when the thermostat fan was running so I could determine when it was time to change the filter. This was how I found out that the thermostat was not completely supported. The plug-in worked well in the web app, but in the Windows app it wouldn't show the buttons. This was over a year ago and still not fixed. Maybe the new UI would fix that, maybe not.

I waited for a LONG time for Vera to support changing color temp on my Lightify bulbs, until finally I gave up and bought a Hue hub and bulbs. I don't even have the Hue hub set up under Vera.

I struggled trying to get the Vistacam 700 to work properly within Vera, and when I contacted support and told them that the web browser interface to the camera wasn't working because of something missing in the camera's software package (I was trying to troubleshoot the camera), I was told it was only supposed to be used within Vera and I should use a "modern browser". I was not very happy about that.

I really do like the Vera interface, but if it can't support (and properly support) the devices that I have or want to get, then it's no good for me. Probably the final nail in the coffin was the new UI...I want solid device support more than I want a "better" UI. I almost have all my devices moved over to the Hubitat hub.

I also got a hubitat but have backed out of using it. A friend of mine moved to it from SmartThing and has been struggling with hardware issues. (flash memory corruption amongst other things) It is a great platform to move to if you started on ST as you can practically port everything but the current lack of an API to the unit and the questionable reliability of hardware have kept me from starting it. The capability however is leaps ahead of the vera in terms of integration and hardware.
openLuup (97 devices, 134 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (138 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 205 devices, 20 scenes , 2 app) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa. VeraPlus ExtRooted!

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 10:41:53 pm »

I also got a hubitat but have backed out of using it. A friend of mine moved to it from SmartThing and has been struggling with hardware issues. (flash memory corruption amongst other things) It is a great platform to move to if you started on ST as you can practically port everything but the current lack of an API to the unit and the questionable reliability of hardware have kept me from starting it. The capability however is leaps ahead of the vera in terms of integration and hardware.

I got one of the first releases and I haven't had any hardware problems with mine.  I haven't put it under heavy use either though.