Author Topic: Keypad for Garage Door  (Read 650 times)

Offline Binkster

Keypad for Garage Door
« on: August 09, 2017, 11:46:35 am »
I have a house that I am temporarily putting my house up on Airbnb.  I need to put in a keypad to open and close the garage doors.  Current formal garage keypads can't be changed easily.  I have everything set up on z wave with my Edge except for the garage doors.  I can put in a z wave garage door controller but the apps and support for these seem to be just as hard to manage.  I looked for a z wave keypad that I could put pins in and then have them execute a "scene" or something.  Nothing seems to exist.  The only keypads seem to be to z wave security systems.  Anyone with some ideas?  It almost looks like my Yale YRD240's could do this but I don't have the expertise to set it up.

Offline JTG

Re: Keypad for Garage Door
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:15:49 pm »
The "Nexia Z-Wave One Touch Control, NX1000" could work.  I don't know how well it will hold up on the side of a house, though...

Its on Amazon for 98.65

Offline Derek

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 08:40:49 am »
Resurrecting this thread. I also have this desire and am looking for an outside keypad that would have scenes attached to then open the garage door and allow PINs to be setup. A regular door lock keypad would work, but in my house there's no easy way to mount that with the bolts or handles, etc. Just need a keypad that could then launch a scene that can sit outdoors. 

Offline Jamr

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 01:44:49 pm »
Nothing I know of will do what you want easily.
You can't limit access through a pedestrian door with a Z-Wave door lock you can control with PIN's and from there they can access the garage?

Offline Priest

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 02:38:12 pm »
Couldnt you use one of the door sensors that has the aux inputs and then just put a traditional IEI keypad on it?  You would not be able to remotely change/enable/disable the PIN codes though.

If you in the EU this would be perfect.
https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2481

You could always buy some Zwave deadbolt (a cheap one) and do some surgery. Mount the thing in the wall where just the keypad is showing, cut the wires that run the bolt motor, and then program scenes based on codes entered.

Offline kartcon

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 06:30:01 pm »
Has anyone tried the 2GIG Keypads and PLEG? I have not ordered one yet, but IF you could pair it then do some PLEG programming, it might be configurable as an outdoor scene controller.

DISCLAIMER *** I have no firsthand experience with this, but it seems like a logical approach  ***