Author Topic: Vera support process - very impressed  (Read 975 times)

Offline ninkasi

Vera support process - very impressed
« on: August 09, 2017, 09:49:55 pm »
Hi - I'd just like to describe an issue I had, and how it was handled by the support team. People tend to write about when things go wrong, so I'd just like to make note of when they went well (which is probably the majority of cases).

The issue:
I had a device that I could not delete from my Vera Edge.

More details:
I got a ZRC100 remote for free. Turned out that was too much as I wasted a lot of time trying to use it. I tried to get it to work, and did to an extent, but I was only able to get it to control two of my zwave devices (out of dozens). I eventually gave up on it. When I updated the firmware of my Vera Edge, I found that it could no longer see the ZRC100. I decided to try to remove it (it wasn't being used anyhow) but couldn't.

After some more investigation, I then worked out that somehow - possibly whilst playing with the remote - I had changed the Vera to being a secondary controller to the ZRC100 (under zwave settings "Role: Slave SIS: NO PRI: NO"), and as it could no longer be seen I couldn't shift the role of being the master/primary back to the Vera. Restoring from backup didn't fix things either. Scanning through the forum posts didn't provide many pointers other than some very old posts describing firmware hacks that probably only applied to the original Vera controllers, and other posts basically saying contact support. So. Time to contact support, with my only option (should they be unable to fix things) to completely rebuild my network.

Support:
Under settings on the Vera, I chose "customer care" and enabled remote access. I then copied the info that appeared and then clicked on the 'contact customer care', wrote a message detailing the issue and pasted in the support info. Within an hour I had received a message back from them saying they had fixed it! Checking the zwave settings and indeed it now says "Role: Master SIS: YES PRI: YES", and I was then able to delete that ZRC100.

Overall impression: Very happy with how quickly they responded to my issue. I'm sure that not all problems they see can be fixed so quickly, but I basically could not have been more impressed with how easy it was to enable them to access my controller, and how quickly they got on to try to resolve the issue. It may not be perfect, but I am glad I made the jump from my old system to Vera. :-)
Home Automation veteran. Rolled own, then MisterHouse and X10, now Vera - mysensor arduino and ESP8266 network - zwave lights, locks, switches - milights - yeelights - google home(s) - Broadlink RM - raspberry pi(s) with various scripts for power and weather station - Logitech Harmony - Imperihome

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: Vera support process - very impressed
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:53:28 am »
 :D

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 12:12:34 pm »
+1 for a positive report.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline treetop777

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:26:38 pm »
A refreshing change from the usual complaints.

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 03:29:08 am »
I will now add that I found that I couldn't add in any new devices. The "Role: Master SIS: YES PRI: YES" should have been "Role: Master SIS: NO PRI: YES". Contacted support again, and again the issue was addressed quickly. They downgraded my firmware and I got a message from them saying to try it again. All good. So, still impressed.
Home Automation veteran. Rolled own, then MisterHouse and X10, now Vera - mysensor arduino and ESP8266 network - zwave lights, locks, switches - milights - yeelights - google home(s) - Broadlink RM - raspberry pi(s) with various scripts for power and weather station - Logitech Harmony - Imperihome

Offline kwieto

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 04:13:13 am »
Good for you, mine got "bricked" after support intervention (they cleared some temp files, as they say, and since then my Edge goes into constant rebooting loop).
I have to admit that they tried to do their best to resolve the issue (including connecting remotely to my computer and trying to get it work again that way), but at the end of the day I am left with non-working device.
They won't replace it since I don't have purchasing documents for it, regardless that the unit broke stright after they managed it remotely, so it should be within their responsibility.
I've got an offer for discount on the next purchase, sweet, but this doesn't resolve the issue :(

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 04:32:40 am »
Good for you, mine got "bricked" after support intervention (they cleared some temp files, as they say, and since then my Edge goes into constant rebooting loop).
I have to admit that they tried to do their best to resolve the issue (including connecting remotely to my computer and trying to get it work again that way), but at the end of the day I am left with non-working device.
They won't replace it since I don't have purchasing documents for it, regardless that the unit broke stright after they managed it remotely, so it should be within their responsibility.
I've got an offer for discount on the next purchase, sweet, but this doesn't resolve the issue :(

Wow - sorry to hear that. I'd hunt for those purchase docs if possible..... Failing that, being a nerd from way back, I know that sometimes a fault can't be fixed remotely - in particular when it's an issue with something rebooting frequently as there may simply not be enough time to get on and fix things. Maybe they could fix it if you sent it to them, but postage costs might mean you'd be better off getting a new one. If you are, or know someone who is, fairly technical then there is still hope though - the fact it is starting and running but then rebooting indicates it might be software related. That can be fixed if you're lucky. See here for an example (although not for the Edge): http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=28131.0

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 07:34:22 pm »

Have you tried a factory reset? It clears the firmware and downloads it fresh from the server. You have an almost new box (software wise) and either restore from backup or start fresh adding devices.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline Sorin M.

• Administrator
  • Master Member
    • getvera.com
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 07:33:44 pm »
Hello people,

While a negative situation will most likely be reported in some public way. It's not often when people come back with a kind word, after Customer Care resolved a situation. And I can re-assure you that we have many happy customers.

Feedback, being it positive or negative, is the corner stone of our progress and we are really happy to see, people being happy, after interacting with us.

And as always, I really encourage people, when they have any kind of issues/feedback to try and contact our customer care first.  8)
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline kwieto

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 06:57:03 am »
Have you tried a factory reset? It clears the firmware and downloads it fresh from the server. You have an almost new box (software wise) and either restore from backup or start fresh adding devices.

It was the first thing which I tried.
And if support couldn't get it back to work, it probably is unrepairable.

I don't understand the attitude - if it was damaged by support it should be repaired/replaced, point.
I understand it was "accident" and not on purpose, nevertheless if somebody damages your property, he/she is responsible for returning it to original state - no matter if the damage was on purpose or by accident. It is just obvious...

Offline Sorin M.

• Administrator
  • Master Member
    • getvera.com
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 08:43:03 am »
@kwieto,

We are always trying our best to resolve the situation in customer's favor, if possible, and I'm sure things are going to be sorted out.
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

Offline kwieto

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 09:32:01 am »
I hope...
I've found some documents confirming my purchase and passed to the support. I was promised to be contacted shortly, hope it will be good news.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 03:43:32 am »
OK, so I can write a happy ending to my story: I'll get a replacement unit for my controller.
Still think that having/not having purchase documents shouldn't matter in this case, fortunately document's I dug up were enough to start RMA process.

So the bad experience at the end turned to be the good one, thank you.

Offline trygve

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 05:38:20 am »
I've been in contact with customer care a couple of times. All positive experiences.
Vera Edge. Qubino flush dimmers-, 10V dimmers-, flush relays-, flush shutters-, Sunricher touch panel-, RGBW touch panel, Secure thermostats & relays, HeatIt thermostats, Fibaro RGBW dimmers, Aeotec multisensors-, Switches, Z-Wave.Me Wall Controllers, SwiidInter Cord Switch, Velux Integra, Sonos

Offline Sorin M.

• Administrator
  • Master Member
    • getvera.com
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 05:07:30 am »
OK, so I can write a happy ending to my story: I'll get a replacement unit for my controller.
Still think that having/not having purchase documents shouldn't matter in this case, fortunately document's I dug up were enough to start RMA process.

So the bad experience at the end turned to be the good one, thank you.

If it's bought from our store we can easily identify the order by any of the info you provide and don't require any additional data. However, for controllers bought from a third party, we have to know if that unit comes through an official and verified channel. We cannot vouch for products that are of unknown origins, for obvious reasons.