Author Topic: Fibaro Dimmer 2 - Mind of its own  (Read 202 times)

Offline mzpost

Fibaro Dimmer 2 - Mind of its own
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:57:43 am »
I've just installed a Fibaro dimmer 2 with an LED bulb, its the the bypass on it so when it's off the bulb is flicker free (that was not the case without it).

I'm getting some strange behaviour from the switch, when I turn it on it often turns itself off, then comes back on a lower brightness and then goes off.  If I turn it back on 2 or 3 times it over comes this and works as expected.

Equally there are times when I turn it off and it will turn itself back on.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behaviour ?  I have got it configured to be an on / off switch using param 32 set to 1.

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Controllers & Control Systems
    • Black Cat Control Systems
Re: Fibaro Dimmer 2 - Mind of its own
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:18:40 pm »
This will be caused by the LED, not the dimmer.

A bypass might work in some conditions, obviously the bypass you have selected will not work correctly with this LED. You could try using another type of LED or another type of bypass.

TEM have just released a IA50 RC type which is an upgraded version of LED bypass and claims to mostly eliminate this: Note the word mostly.

Look over here http://tem.si for more info. If you are in Europe, then they should be easy to find  and much cheaper than the the AEON or FIBARIO version.

We introduce the new IA50 RC circuit to eliminate disturbances in the operation of LED lamps.

With parallel connection of indication lamp with a switch (with indication) sometimes disturbances in the operation of LED lamps may occur. This means when LED lamps are turned off they can still remain turned on or flickering can occur.

TEM SOLUTION

We do not offer universal solution for all types of LED lamps, but with the new TEM product IA50 RC circuit in most cases disturbances can be eliminated. IA50 RC circuit requires parallel connection with the load, as illustrated in the scheme below:
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline m1cke

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 03:32:36 am »
I've just installed a Fibaro dimmer 2 with an LED bulb, its the the bypass on it so when it's off the bulb is flicker free (that was not the case without it).

I'm getting some strange behaviour from the switch, when I turn it on it often turns itself off, then comes back on a lower brightness and then goes off.  If I turn it back on 2 or 3 times it over comes this and works as expected.

Equally there are times when I turn it off and it will turn itself back on.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behaviour ?  I have got it configured to be an on / off switch using param 32 set to 1.

Check so the wallswitch is not turned up side down. I mounted the spring for the wall switch on the wrong side and got simular problems.

Offline JuniorJedi

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 04:01:57 am »
When you first included it - was it with the same bulb? If not it will not have calibrated itself for the current load. You'll need to exclude and re-include it so that it recalibrates. Mine did exactly this when I changed a tungsten to an LED.