Author Topic: Fibaro Door Window Sensor with Temp  (Read 404 times)

Offline rearden

• Sr. Newbie
Fibaro Door Window Sensor with Temp
« on: August 15, 2017, 04:13:43 pm »
I had a VeraLite and have recently upgraded to VeraPlus hoping to solve some issues.  I am running UI7.
I have the Fibaro Door/Window sensor and purchased some temperature sensors to go with it.  My goal is to monitor my freezer, especially as a freezer alarm.  The sensor will be outside the freezer and tell me when the door opens and closes and the stripped down wire will go into the freezer box.
My trouble is that I can't seem to get the sensor to pair with vera.  I have tried every combo I can think of.
pair, unpair, reset.  Every once in a great many tried it will start to pair, then usually get a pairing error.  Once I actually got the three sensors to show up, but then it never registered temperature well.  If I remove the temperature sensor, it seems to try to pair more reliably, but even then it takes about an hour of fiddling to get a pair.  I am attempting pairing with the devices generally within about 2 feet of each other,  sometimes within inches.

Right now the door sensor is working, but not the temp sensor.  I paired without the temp sensor on, it took about 30 min to pair.  Then I put the temp sensor on and tried to Add Devices, but non of the devices I added show up so I can then modify them into child devices.

The sensor sometimes blinks 10 times, some times 6, sometimes 4, never 3 or 2.

Most of my zwave network is not plus.  I believe the fibaro sensor is zwave plus.  Is that causing a problem?

Any ideas?  Do I have a broken Vera? broken sensor?  not holding my tongue right?

Rearden

Offline pls90

Re: Fibaro Door Window Sensor with Temp
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 02:55:25 am »
i have plenty of the fibaro sensors working fine on a vera plus. To pair these indeed takes patience. Here's what I would do
- unpair your sensor and install the ds-18b20. You have to pair the fibaro with the temp sensor installed. It is not possible to add the temp sensor after pairing with vera, it will not be recognized.
- mount the fibaro to a surface near your fridge or at least to a piece of wood. The fibaro has a temper switch which sticks out on the back which has to be pressed all the time. This automatically achieved if mounted to a surface.
- include fibaro again. This usually take more than 3 presses of the inclusion button. I usually use a chopstick and happily hammer it for as long as it takes vera to recognize it. Slight vary the speed of pressing during your inclusion sportivities. :-)

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 03:10:02 am »

Any ideas?  Do I have a broken Vera? broken sensor?  not holding my tongue right?

Rearden

Yep. It's the tongue thing, definitely. :-)

Seriously, yeah these are a pain to setup but you will manage to do it eventually. Note that if you pair it without the temp sensor attached, if you add in the sensor later then you will need to remove completely & add the whole thing back in again. It will not discover it otherwise.

The trick I found was:
1. Do all the pairing with the thing right next to the Vera. With the temp sensor attached if you want to use one. I found the best position to be on top of the Vera and to the back (Vera Edge - YMMV if you have something else). Patience is key here.
2. When it pairs, leave it alone. The devices take a little while to appear - eventually they do, including the battery capacity.
3. Be aware that having the temp sensor attached will drain the battery faster than if you don't have one hooked in.

If you find the temp is fluctuating or inaccurate, check the wiring etc to make sure that's all good. Worse case, get another sensor and try that (you can swap sensors without having to unpair/pair again)

Offline neptunix

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 03:47:43 am »
Has someone replaced the battery in the sensor?
I've just replaced it (was dead for about a month) and the sensor did not come to live - it's still "Can't detect device"

Inclusion and exclusion process does not work either (haven't tried resetting the device yet)

P.S. Does the battery level of your sensors work well with Vera? Mine was always 100% before the battery died

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 11:12:23 pm »
Has someone replaced the battery in the sensor?
I've just replaced it (was dead for about a month) and the sensor did not come to live - it's still "Can't detect device"

Inclusion and exclusion process does not work either (haven't tried resetting the device yet)

P.S. Does the battery level of your sensors work well with Vera? Mine was always 100% before the battery died

Have replaced mine - battery lasted maybe 9 months with a temp sensor attached. Swapped it out and battery level went back to 100%. Sounds like you may need to wipe it from Vera, wait for it to disappear, and add it back in again. Don't forget (based on my experience) when you do this you need to have the thing very close to your Vera.....

Offline paros

• Husvagnhusbil
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 02:54:29 am »
I did the same trick as "ninkasi" with the Fibaro door/window sensor.
The following is VERY IMPORTANT:
1. Have the Vera controller very near to the sensor. I use max 1meter using a very long network cable.
2. Use fresh/new batteries.
3. Attach the temperature sensor before including the sensor to the Vera controller, it WILL NOT work otherwise.

Offline neptunix

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 05:25:19 am »
Have replaced mine - battery lasted maybe 9 months with a temp sensor attached. Swapped it out and battery level went back to 100%. Sounds like you may need to wipe it from Vera, wait for it to disappear, and add it back in again. Don't forget (based on my experience) when you do this you need to have the thing very close to your Vera.....
It didn't work for about a week (!), nothing helped. And then suddenly I noticed that device has come to life and works well since. Don't know what it was though ...