We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: iOS Geofencing Redux  (Read 136 times)

Offline Catman

iOS Geofencing Redux
« on: January 07, 2019, 01:17:56 pm »
Starting this as I'm curious as to *how* geofencing is meant to work.

I estimate it fails about 30-40% of the time with one of the following modes:
1) The Vera Plus reacts to a notification and reacts correctly, but the iOS app never displays the notification (I can live with this)
2) The iOS app sends a notification (or at least flags one on screen) but the Vera Plus never responds to it.
3) Neither the iOS app sends a notification nor the Vera Plus reacts.

What I'm hoping to understand is where (if at all, I know many have written on the topic) I can start looking to see why each failure is taking place.

Apple GPS services? Seems unlikely since every time I ask it (either with Vera app or another app) it 'knows' exactly where I am.

Network connectivity? Again, seems unlikely. I've been home for at least an hour. Phone is happily getting emails and linked into my Wifi. No App notification. Vera plus forced into home mode.

Vera Plus not responding to a received request? How would I know?

I guess I'm looking to understand so I can temper my frustration with something that seems incredibly simple, but is just not fit.

I've tried using the 'Find my iPhone plugin' but I found to make it sensible in terms of response time, it just killed the battery :(

TIA

C

Offline Jamr

Re: iOS Geofencing Redux
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 01:42:46 pm »
I would contact Vera support and get a trouble ticket set up on this issue.
They need your valuable information to troubleshoot and get their services to be trouble free.

I just called to ask about this and they wanted me to start verbose logging on my Vera to see if they could troubleshoot the problem.
My guess is that is is hardware differences cause incompatibilities because some people have problems and some do not.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:44:46 pm by Jamr »

Offline Catman

Re: iOS Geofencing Redux
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 01:44:33 pm »
I would contact Vera support and get a trouble ticket set up on this issue.
They need your valuable information to troubleshoot and get their services to be trouble free.

Fair shout. Tried before but ;)

C