We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: iPad Version  (Read 21088 times)

Offline grybrd

Re: iPad Version
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 05:58:06 pm »
It, priority is right below Android phones I hope ;D

Offline SquareConnectJohn

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 04:55:09 pm »
The latest version 2.3 has high res graphic for the iPad, but it is still only a native iPhone app that runs in 2x mode. This means that text etc is pixellated. We Are working on a universal version that will be much better, and it is already quite advanced, but until we have a better handle on the amount of work that remains we don't want to make any false promises.

Hang tight!!

John
Square Connect Co-Founder

Offline Maartenvt

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 04:27:32 pm »
The latest version 2.3 has high res graphic for the iPad, but it is still only a native iPhone app that runs in 2x mode. This means that text etc is pixellated. We Are working on a universal version that will be much better, and it is already quite advanced, but until we have a better handle on the amount of work that remains we don't want to make any false promises.

Hang tight!!

John

@SquareConnectJohn

Great news. i will be waiting :)
Vera Edge (Firmware rev. 1.7.2406), 1x Düwi INTERACT³ light switch, 1x  ZIR010 Motion Sensor.

Offline Chicken Woman

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 10:59:11 am »
Matt, for me the iPad version isn't as important, the graphics are so basic that they look fine on the iPad. I find the more uniform it is with the iPhone the better. What is important is having more real estate for when I go from iPad to iPhone. The ability to customize the amount of tabs would be great. Also the thermostat takes up too much room, it would be great to customize my own. The more colors and graphics I have to choose from the more fun and the better the experience. I don't think that would be quite as much work.

Offline azrml

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 05:02:57 pm »
If I buy the iPhone / iPod version,  will the iPad version be a free upgrade?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 02:50:59 pm »
@azml

Not sure yet how it will be positioned. We really strucggle with pricing - in an industry where you can pay $200 retail for an HDMI cable, we get complaints on charging less than the cost of a light dimmer for a piece of software that has so much more function and engineering in it.

Square Connects problem :

MCV Vera == very small market.
Continued iPhone/iPad development == very expensive.
Customer expectation == "but it is a phone app, it should be cheap/free". But look at my cool iPad case that cost $99...

Your and my challenge is how do we create a sustainable business in Home Automation software?  We love this stuff, but it is complicated and costs a lot to develop serious, well maintained, software. Which is what you want. And we want to build.

Do you think we should charge an addtional fee for the iPad version?

Mat

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 03:49:04 pm »
I would expect an additional charge and am willing to pay it. I use the IPhone version on my IPad and it is a great tool!
Please keep us informed.....are you getting closer?
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts

Offline fall-line

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 07:30:49 pm »
I will gladly pay for an iPad version in addition to my existing iPhone license, provided the iPad specific implementation goes well above and beyond the stretched iphone version when it comes to effective use of space, etc. Then again, I've been impressed enough with (and interested in supporting) your work that I forwent the sqblaster/remote rebate that i was entitled to last year, so my opinion may not represent the average user.

I think for a lot of people it may be a difficult cost/benefit equation.  Via the in-app upgrade, perhaps you could offer a discounted iPad license for existing iPhone users (or visa versa for those that buy the iPad app first), or maybe an introductory rate when it is launched?

Keep up the great work.

Offline azrml

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 11:00:34 am »
@SquareConnectMat

The reason I was really asking is that I am both new to Vera,  and the iPad,  and saw that you were in the process of creating an app to take advantage of the iPads bigger screen.  I have used the demo iPhone app,  and really like it,  but at this time I will just wait for the iPad version.

As for cost,  you make valid points about market size etc.  Perhaps you can give existing customers a discount off the price of the iPad app.

Best Regards,
Mike

Offline steveg

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 06:39:06 pm »
Problem is the App store doesn't support a notion of discount.

So far, folks either produce a universal app that works on both iPhone, iPod and iPad or they introduce the iPad version as a distinct product but have an introductory price.

If you do the introductory price thing, you would need a timely notification to existing customers -- perhaps a simultaneous minor update to the non-iPad version that included a teaser in the "change list".

Offline confuserated

'nuther vote for ipad version
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 10:11:35 am »
I didn't quite get it until I actually played with an ipad, but the X2 function of an iphone app wastes soooo much space on the screen. Now the wife has an ipad I can see the point of a separate version and would gladly pay for it!! (I seem to have paid twice for the iphone version anyway as I didn't realise it was free once you had a blaster!...).

go go gadget...

Offline shady

• This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 01:32:01 pm »
My ideal iPad app would be an app that supported the running of two iPhone apps (in portrait orientation) side by side on the same landscape screen.  That way I could run SQ Remote and my FIOS cable box remote app together on the same screen or SQ Remote and an IPCam Viewer...
...if only Apple didn't cripple its developers into having no interaction with other apps. 
Shouldn't be a problem with the newest specs on the iPad2.

Not to worry though, the Square Connect team is hard at work on the iPad version and knowing them it will be well designed and unique to the iPad.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline WB-AVL

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 09:36:31 am »
I would pay for an iPad version.

Offline SquareConnectJohn

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 10:43:54 am »
For all Beta testers of SQ Remote, we have released the first Beta version of the SQ Remote Universal App. If you are a beta tester of SQ Remote, please log in and get the latest and give us your feedback. There seems to be quite a few  people wanting to see this released!

John
Square Connect Co-Founder

Offline wseverino

• Global Moderator
  • Da Man, Da Myth, Da Legend - in his own mind!
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 07:58:05 pm »
John - Just logged into the DC site and can find the newest version.
My ZWave Network: Too friggin big to list.....