Author Topic: Z-wave thermostat with external temp sensor?  (Read 198 times)

Offline tinman

• Sr. Newbie
Z-wave thermostat with external temp sensor?
« on: August 24, 2017, 10:51:25 am »
I'm looking for a zwave thermostat that can be used with a single stage heat pump with oil backup AND has connections for an external temperature sensor. Honeywell has several zwave units but none seem to have the external temperature sensor connection. I currently have a 7-day programmable Honeywell thermostat that I like but I'd like to have zwave connectivity. Anyone know of such a unit?

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
Re: Z-wave thermostat with external temp sensor?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 09:34:06 pm »
Not sue I know what you are trying to accomplish but based on your question, here is my setup to give you some ideas.

I have a conventional gas heat/electric air with a CT101 thermostat and the Weatherunderground plug in with PLEG doing the heavy logic lifting. When outside is < 60, turn on heat, > 65 turn on cool. Setpoints are set to 68/75 for heat/cool for Home and Away, 65/72 for night, and 60/80 for Away. PLEG keeps the temperature of the house set year round relying on the outside temperature from weatherunderground.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:02:51 pm »
I do something similar, but I have a monoprice motion/temp sensor on my covered porch to provide real-time local exterior temps.  Plus if either the exterior sensor or the weather plug in says it is <25F, my pipe heaters come on.

I have another sensor upstairs, with PLEG rules to adjust the HVAC targets using the downstairs thermostat temp sensor during the day and the bedroom temps upstairs  at night.  Floor/ceiling temp limits keep any part of the house from getting out of whack.  I get notifications if the house goes past those limits.

Offline tony-park

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 06:34:06 pm »
Netatmo have a weather station that can feed the vera with the current temps etc.

Maybe take a look at this?