Author Topic: Vera Plus - Privacy & Security - What data is uploaded to "my Vera Account" ?  (Read 464 times)

Offline mchardj

I am looking to establish a basic home automation environment to control, lights, outlets, thermostats and DSC security system both locally and remotely over the web via a smartphone, tablet ore laptop.  The Vera Plus hub appears to be an excellent way to go given all of the protocols that it claims to support.  I am also NOT looking for a solution that remote access requires I go through a relay type of server solution.  I recognize this requires a static IP and the expertise to manage my firewall to enable remote access to the hub.  I have both a static IP and the ability to manage my firewall.

My questions / concerns are:

1.  The Vera Plus quick start guides I have downloaded show the creation of an account on the Vera "factory" server - is this required or is there a workaround ?

2.  If I access the Vera Plus hub directly over the web (i.e. not through the Vera relay server) do I lose any functionality or is the web interface / application totally contained on the hub itself ?

3.  Is the data / parameters used to setup screens etc. stored on the hub or is it also / only stored on the Vera server ?

4.  If I do not create an account can I still obtain software patches / upgrades ?

5.  Can I use a Mac laptop to access the Vera Plus hub or is a only compatible with Windows ?

Thanks for any assistance with this !

John

Offline pitzerwm

This from August, why hasn't a Vera wizard answered this guy??

Offline rjayyyy

Following!

Offline WhiteBeard

• Sr. Newbie
@rjayyyy - perhaps some of my answers might be of help and will bump this thread for others to chime in.

2.  If I access the Vera Plus hub directly over the web (i.e. not through the Vera relay server) do I lose any functionality or is the web interface / application totally contained on the hub itself ?

- from my experience, no. All processing happens locally. The web relay makes it easier to access the hub in case you don't want to open up ports on your end.

3.  Is the data / parameters used to setup screens etc. stored on the hub or is it also / only stored on the Vera server ?

- my understanding is that everything is local.

5.  Can I use a Mac laptop to access the Vera Plus hub or is a only compatible with Windows ?

- no issues on any of the OSX browsers (Safari, Chrome in my case)

I too would like to know whether it is possible to keep the hub "off the cloud" although I'm sure services such as sms/email notifications would then cease to work.

Offline kwieto

You loose possibility of doing online backups (which is helpful sometimes as they are done automatically every day) if you don't have connection to the internet and probably doing upgrades may be tricky (you can upload firmware from external file, the question is if you can download such file from other place than web interface?

The real question is if Vera keeps any sensitive data about you online?
The personal data you put during registration are very limited. Schedules, devices, they give some information potential robbers, the question is if such information is worth the effort of hacking servers?