Author Topic: how to measure and store temps  (Read 232 times)

Offline danielccm

how to measure and store temps
« on: September 01, 2017, 04:53:10 am »
Hi all!

Need a hand here... My father has a storage room just outside the house... He needs to know the temperature both just outside the house and within the storage room.

He obviously has Vera (otherwise why would I be asking here?) and he asked me for a solution to this.

The perfect solution would imply having the data logged in a Google Sheets or some other form, as well as a graph in the cell phone...

My question is a 2 part... both hardware and software wise... how should I approach that?

Oh yeah, hardware-wise, I live in Europe.. so it would have to be european zwave....

Thanks!

Offline kigmatzomat

Re: how to measure and store temps
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:44:21 pm »
Get one of the cheap PIR/temp sensors. I have one on my covered porch that has survived for a couple years.

Then get the datamine plug in. You will need a USB thumb drive to store the data.

Offline jswim788

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 11:49:20 pm »
I would never recommend this to someone just starting out, but the Grafana solution using openLuup (requires additional hardware) and the whisper database is far superior to the DataMine solution.  It's more trouble to set this up, but it is so much easier and flexible than DataMine.  I continue to use both, but over time I'm going to replace DataMine on my second system with the openLuup and Grafana.  Sample attached.

Offline danielccm

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 04:33:10 am »
Thanks for the tips guys!

I'll look into both but considering my father's IT background, he'll probably love the Grafana approach... Could you detail that a little more? Thanks!!!

Offline jswim788

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 04:19:08 pm »
considering my father's IT background, he'll probably love the Grafana approach... Could you detail that a little more? Thanks!!!
I'll tell you a bit more about how I do use Grafana, then I'll try to give you possible shortcuts as you may not need all of this.  This is a medium level of difficulty project - shouldn't require any custom coding, but it's far from trivial.  If you like working on things and have some Unix/Linux familiarity, this can be fun.

First, you need a Grafana server.  I use a Raspberry Pi and loaded Grafana on it.  https://grafana.com/

Grafana is the display engine, but it needs a database to view.  You need some way to get the data into a database compatible with Grafana.   For this I use openLuup and AltUI.  openLuup is a program that runs on the Raspberry Pi and more or less replaces the Vera functionality except for the Z-wave radio.  That is, you run all your logic and interface to the devices through openLuup, but it connects to the Vera for the Z-wave radio.  Of course you can choose to leave the Vera completely as is and not move anything to openLuup if you don't want to.  See http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=34463.0

The reason for openLuup in this case is that it has something called "DataYours" built into it, which provides the database you need for Grafana with a Graphite interface.  So by using openLuup, you get the Graphite interface and a place to store your data.  See http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=35966.0

AltUI is an alternative interface to the Vera.  It has some great features on its own, but the main reason I need it in this flow is that it allows you to send any variable to DataYours.  So you pick the temperature device of interest, click on the "temperature" variable, and enable the push to DataYours.  That is what gets the data pumped into the database.  See this link for information on AltUI: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=33309.0

I'm using openLuup for reasons beyond just Grafana.  It provides a very stable and robust environment for the home automation.  But if you only want Grafana, you may not need it.  I've never looked into it, but I believe DataYours can pump the data to local and remote locations.  So you could have DataYours send the data somewhere else.  As long as it has format that DataYours supports and that Grafana supports, it should work.  openLuup has this, but I'm sure there are other options.  There may be a Graphite database program you can use.

And note that everything above is Linux based, but I suspect you could do similar things with Windows based solutions.

Enjoy and good luck!

Offline danielccm

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 05:46:09 am »
Get one of the cheap PIR/temp sensors. I have one on my covered porch that has survived for a couple years.

Then get the datamine plug in. You will need a USB thumb drive to store the data.

Any chance this might work off-the-shelf with Vera Lite?

http://www.dx.com/p/original-xiaomi-mi-smart-temperature-humidity-sensor-white-432576?tc=EUR&gclid=CjwKCAjwlrnNBRBMEiwApKU4PMqc0CaWkxDRSxNtiZSMTJgtRhzhCfcwyZG3cG6WsXg6MDCaPrYkKxoCVy4QAvD_BwE#.Wa5yKchJa00

Offline danielccm

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 05:50:07 am »
considering my father's IT background, he'll probably love the Grafana approach... Could you detail that a little more? Thanks!!!
I'll tell you a bit more about how I do use Grafana, then I'll try to give you possible shortcuts as you may not need all of this.  This is a medium level of difficulty project - shouldn't require any custom coding, but it's far from trivial.  If you like working on things and have some Unix/Linux familiarity, this can be fun.

First, you need a Grafana server.  I use a Raspberry Pi and loaded Grafana on it.  https://grafana.com/

Enjoy and good luck!

Thanks! I now have homework for the rest of the month! lol!

Offline kwieto

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 06:52:47 am »
If your father has Qubino modules or Fibaro Door/Window sensors you can attach Dallas DS18B20 temp sensors to them and get the readings. That will be probably the cheapest option. You can buy the sensor itself or a ready to use probe with cable ranging from 1 up to 10 (20?) m.

You can try integrating Vera with Netatmo weather station (basic set contains 1 indoor and 1 outdoor module).
You will not have graphs directly in Vera, but Netatmo interface works pretty well and stores quite long historical data.
Advantage is that you get also humidity, CO2, noise (indoor only) and pressure readings.