Author Topic: Best way of turning a scene with multiple lights on and off?  (Read 244 times)

Offline onepointbrewing

• Sr. Newbie
Best way of turning a scene with multiple lights on and off?
« on: September 02, 2017, 05:55:34 am »
My kitchen has 4 lights in it

1: Kitchen Long
2: Kitchen Bench
3: Kitchen lower
4: Kitchen surround

Whats the best way of scening this for on and off of all the lights at the same time?

I originally had a scene called "kitchen on" and another scene called "kitchen off" however alexa says "I have multipe lights for kitchen, which one do you want?"

So whats the best way of using a scene to turn them all on together and all off together. I cant exactly call the scene something other than "kitchen"

What have people done?

Offline BigE-TX

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Best way of turning a scene with multiple lights on and off?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 12:57:33 pm »
By no means am an expert, but I love playing around with this stuff.  Create a group in alexa with all the lights in it you want checked off.  BTW, since using Alexa, I've been steadily re-naming devices in Vera to simpler easily pronounced names.  For example, "dining room light" became "chandelier".  Alexa could not find the device for a month, then I happened to spell check it and realized I spelled chandelier incorrectly.  Works fine now, BUT KEEP THIS IN MIND WHEN USING ALEXA.  Name the group something unique but memorable.  Then the hard part.  Alexa likes group and Vera scenes to be called out in specific ways, such as  "alexa, patio lights on".  This become much more ominous when you create a scene and want it to "execute" and it's not really "on". 

Offline Nameless

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 06:44:37 pm »
A tip, if you can, create a group with Alexa and not in a Vera scene. I've had a much higher success rate doing this.

Offline JoeTomasone

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 02:08:24 am »
I'd put all of those lights in an Alexa group called "Kitchen Lights", then you can say things like "Alexa, turn off all the kitchen lights", or "Alexa, set the kitchen lights to 50%".

You can do this with other devices as well.  I have two thermostats - "Down Thermostat" and "Up Thermostat".  I put them both in an Alexa group called "Both Thermostats", and thus I can say, "Alexa, set both thermostats to 75 degrees" and she does it. 

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:13:39 pm »
I'm looking into this. I'd like to keep my scenes and my associated macros with Panel Manager too so naming convention is getting to be an issue.

Right now I I have to say, "Alexa, set the Backyard Lights Off to ON" to get them turned OFF! To avoid confusion I called the Alexa Group "Patio Lights". I will try it out when I get home.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 05:07:29 pm »
Putting these three light controllers in a group called Patio Lights in Alexa did the trick.

Offline ember1205

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 07:54:59 pm »
Groups is the way to go...

My kitchen lights are:

- Table
- Counter
- Island
- Sink

I can control each individually (Alexa, turn table light on) as I've exposed them via HA Bridge to Alexa. Within the app, I created a group called "Kitchen Lights" (table, counter, and island) and "All Kitchen Lights" (table, counter, island, and sink). I can turn off all of the main lights leaving the sink on with "Alexa, turn kitchen lights off". Or, I can turn them all on or off by changing to "Alexa, turn all kitchen lights off".