Author Topic: Key Storage  (Read 421 times)

Offline oldtown

Key Storage
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:08:51 pm »

Offline michaelhinchey

Re: Key Storage
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 11:28:42 pm »
I have been looking for the same.  Adding keys to a rental unit to something like this instead of relying solely on zwave locks that would actually last longer than 2 months would be great.  Being able to add wired zwave locks would be awesome as well.

Offline Priest

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 09:17:32 am »
I have been looking for the same.  Adding keys to a rental unit to something like this instead of relying solely on zwave locks that would actually last longer than 2 months would be great.  Being able to add wired zwave locks would be awesome as well.
I think the only way for a wired Z-Wave lock would be to buy a MIMO and hook up an electric strike, electric lockset, or maglock such as how you would in a commercial access control environment.

Offline michaelhinchey

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 10:38:25 pm »
I think the only way for a wired Z-Wave lock would be to buy a MIMO and hook up an electric strike, electric lockset, or maglock such as how you would in a commercial access control environment.
Yeah this would be nice but I know not convenient to a normal home owner.  Jut wish they had the option/

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Controllers & Control Systems
    • Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 10:47:07 pm »
Door strike really are not that difficult to fit, the hard bit might be to power them up.
If you have a light switch near the door then you might have an easy solution.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 11:41:13 pm »
I have been looking for the same.  Adding keys to a rental unit to something like this instead of relying solely on zwave locks that would actually last longer than 2 months would be great.

not sure what locks your using but must have some really bad luck if your lock batteries are lasting 2 months. I have several locks on my house vacation house and family member houses all lasting around a year. I think some of the more busy doors might be as short as 10 months but others have been over a year.  I don't think I have seen any locks with 2 month battery life. Not sure if that was an exaggeration or if you really have some serious issues.

I do agree though wired would be much better if it existed.

Offline kwieto

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 04:11:35 am »

Until the first power outage ;)

Offline Priest

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 08:35:24 am »

Well, I have a Z-Wave lock on my front door, but I still carry the key with me just in case. I dont see a power outage as an issue as long as the lock, Electrified lockset or Electric Strike, are configured for Fail-Secure and the person carries the key. Battery backup on a power supply isnt too difficult, and the calculations can be done to know how long you have on battery.

That hardest part about the implementation in a residential environment is getting power up to a transfer hinge or strike since it is typically monolithic wood construction. If one were building a new house it would be an easy thing to install a raceway prior to the door installation.  Since I have access to the parts and such I have considered this myself, but I wouldn't do it until we are building a house one day. It's just not worth it to me to cut up my door frame to get in there in the house im in.

BTW, with my Schlage lock im using now my batteries are lasting about 14 months before they hit critical low. We are replacing them every Winter Solstice as good measure to know they dont die when my wife has forgottn to cerry her metal key with her. The Kwickset I used to have would blow through them in about 2 months. Just a consideration.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 01:36:16 pm »
Well, I have a Z-Wave lock on my front door, but I still carry the key with me just in case. I dont see a power outage as an issue as long as the lock, Electrified lockset or Electric Strike, are configured for Fail-Secure and the person carries the key. Battery backup on a power supply isn't too difficult, and the calculations can be done to know how long you have on battery.

I find no need to carry keys anymore. I would assume most houses have more then one entrance/exit (atleast two in most cases or more). Not only do you get low battery alerts but I can tell by the sound and speed of the deadbolt when batteries are weak before they stop. I have more then one on the house so if one quits I can go around to another door to get it, but in 3 years that has yet to happen.

I'm still curious about the 2 month battery life on the door locks "michael" said.

Offline michaelhinchey

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 01:36:20 pm »

Battery backup as an option here

Offline michaelhinchey

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 01:46:56 pm »

Battery backup as an option here
Yes I only get 2-3 months of use on my busy door.  I just changed them probably into their 2nd week and they are already at 80%.  I do change them when they hit 20% because they seem to stop working right around then.  Any ideas?  I have them set to lock automatically in 1 hour.  I used to have them lock at a lower interval like 5 minutes but my gf smokes so she goes outside and it would lock her out.  I just recently got a door sensor and learning PLeg on how to use the sensor to tell the door lock not to lock while the door is open.  Also tired of having marks on my door frame from the dead bolt locking while the door is still open..  The door locks should of had this sensor built in and the user should be able to turn it on/off when we want or if we dont need it.  I would have paid a little more for the lock.