Author Topic: Firmware update 7.0.22 bricked my VeraEdge - any way to recover?  (Read 709 times)

Offline James92TSi

• Sr. Newbie
Firmware update 7.0.22 bricked my VeraEdge - any way to recover?
« on: September 09, 2017, 12:18:31 pm »
Last night I backed up my VeraEdge controller and started the update procedure.  After several minutes, the unit went offline and has not come back. 

Old version: 1.7.2931
Attempted new version: 1.7.3014 (UI7 ▾ Software Update ▾ Version 7.0.22 (1.7.963/1.7.3014/1.7.3015/1.7.3016) ▾ August 3, 2017)

The power light is slow-blinking once per second, and from some old documentation (wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Troubleshooting)I believe this means the firmware is corrupted.  If left alone, the Vera will try to reboot itself every once in a while, but it always reaches the slow-blinking power light state.  (I could not find any current documentation for interpreting the LED meaning on the VeraEdge / UI7.)

I have tried power cycling it and using the reset button in various combinations but cannot get it to do anything.  It is either stuck on slow blink, or if I hold the reset button while powering on, the power light fast-blinks, internet light goes out, and wifi/zwave/system lights stay on.  Seems like I'm interrupting the boot with the reset button - the lights don't change state, and it is not communicating at all.

Is there a method for re-flashing firmware on these units locally, such as though the USB port, or is this unit simply dead now?

Tried contacting vera support - their page says they have Saturday hours but no answer & no response yet to email inquiry sent last night.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Offline James92TSi

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Firmware update 7.0.22 bricked my VeraEdge - any way to recover?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 02:36:43 pm »
FYI for anyone who stumbles across this...

Seems these veraedge units are only recoverable if you can establish TCP/IP communication.  I had already worked on that angle considerably before hearing back from support.  I was hoping they would have a way of flashing it through USB but he went right to TCP/IP and trying the reset hole.

He tried using the same wiki I'd already found but we could not establish communication. 

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/How_to_reset_to_default_network_settings

So basically my vera is a brick thanks to an official firmware update, and I have zwave stuff all over my house that doesn't work anymore.  My options are to buy a new controller or stop using home automation.  Fantastic.

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 03:49:19 pm »
Hello James,

Checking on this, you are already in touch with our CC team, and the case is still open.
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline James92TSi

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 05:44:04 pm »
Yes, and thank you for getting back to me John.  It is unfortunate that my veraedge will not be recoverable, but we are on a path to resolution and I appreciate the help.

Offline markcm

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 09:55:50 pm »
Is vera going to help you out? That's crazy a firmware update bricked your devices; vera should make it right with you.

Offline pentaho

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 03:43:03 am »
Today i tried to update my Vera3 to the last firmware.
The same symptoms. The brick.

Offline Zed

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 04:29:12 pm »
I also tried to update to the latest firmware not knowing the results others have been having and now my VeraEdge controller is continuously going thru a reboot and trying to connect sequence and will not bring up the dashboard.  Has anyone found a solution other than buying a new controller