Author Topic: Want to find a switch/relay that will work with Vera but may need to be wifi  (Read 131 times)

Offline PatD

I have some pool lights that run at 12VAC that I'd like to control from Vera.  Unfortunately, the control box is far enough from the house that I'm not sure z wave, etc would work.  Wifi will be no problem though.

Right now, the lights works off of a dedicated switch in the control box.  In the control box, I also have 120VAC if needed.  Control box is tight, so bonus points for something small that will fit in there.

I've only dealt with z wave type devices, so not sure what to look for that would be wifi AND work with Vera.  Any suggestions appreciated!

Offline Priest

I know some guys on here wrote a plug in for a WiFi plug in module so it would work. I saw the thread a few weeks back.

Offline Nameless

Have you looked at WeMo? There is a plugin in place and they work well. Downside for me is I can't get them to properly show up in the Android app. Works great with Alexa, though.

Offline kwieto

WeMo is nice and there is a plugin for that, but it has some drawbacks.
First, WeMo is bulky compared to most modern z-wave plugs, not mentioning in-wall switches.
Second, there is no confirmation if a command was really received by the device. For z-wave devices, if a switch didn't change its status after receiving command from Vera, Vera is sending the command again couple of times. If switch don't confirm changing the status, Vera reports an error for that device.
In case of WeMo, Vera just sends a command and if for some reason switch doesn't receive it, then it does nothing. I had couple of cases when switch should be turned on/off by a scene and after some time I've realized that it didn't.

You can see on the panel if the switch is on or off, of course, but if you run a switch through a scene, you will not see if it was turned on/off until you go to the app/web interface, or set a notification especially for that. I've dealt with this issue making a loop in lua code which is checking if switch really changed its state, and then resending request if not.
But after a couple of months I've changed all my WeMo to Z-wave switches anyway, no issues since that.

For a range issues I would recommend tweaking the Vera like in this thread:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,31551.0.html

If you dont't want to tweak your Vera you can do it from the other side - extend/attach the wire installed in the z-wave switch.
I did both (antenna in the controller and extending the cable in the switch) and got the range of c.a. 150m (490ft) with stable communication. I don't think WiFi could get that range.

If you go for WeMo, make sure that you install the files from this post: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,14508.msg306071.html#msg306071
They are newer than those in Vera App section and work properly i.e. with WeMo insight switches.

Offline PatD

Sounds like the perfect solution doesn't exist (Yet.)  I'll get a regular old z wave switch/relay that can handle the job and see how far I can get with it to start.  Thanks.