Author Topic: Geofencing scene help  (Read 291 times)

Offline ARLS

Geofencing scene help
« on: September 23, 2017, 06:18:24 pm »
I have a landscape lighting client using a Kichler DC300 transformer. For those that aren?t aware of how Vera recognizes this transformer, it basically breaks it down into one central control labeled ?Kichler DC300 Transformer? and 6 individual light switches (this transformer has 6 zones built it).

I am new to Vera. My Kichler rep recommended it as a controller for their product. So here is my question:

The customer?s schedule for the landscape lighting a bit complicated. He has zones for lights on the house facade, walkway to front door, trees lining the driveway, a circular driveway in front of the house with 2 separate zones, one for the circle itself and one for lights that line the outside perimeter. 

During the week he keeps things subtle by only turning on the driveway/walkway to door. They are scheduled to come on at dusk and off at 10:30pm.

On Fri/Sat/Sun he turns on everything at dusk and off at 10:30pm.

The way I have it scheduled now is with 2 separate ?on? schedules for the different groups and 1 catch-all ?off? schedule that turns everything off every day of the week at 10:30.

Now comes the geofencing issue.  Seeing as the lights turn off at 10:30, on days he is arriving home after that time he wants the lights to come on for his arrival and then turn back off automatically after 15 minutes. I set up the geofence to turn on certain zones when entering the geofence (works great) and a delay of 15 minutes before turning them back off (works problematically)

The issue arises when he comes home BEFORE 10:30 but after the lights are already turned on via a schedule. Let?s say he gets home at 9:30, the lights are already on so no problem but they will then turn off at 9:40, overriding his normal scheduled turn off. Also, a few other important pieces of criteria need to be met.

What would be the best approach to

A:Make sure the lights don?t come on at like, noon, while it?s still light out when he gets home.
B:Make sure the geofence ?off? command doesn?t override any of his schedules.

Offline kwieto

Re: Geofencing scene help
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 06:40:27 am »
I would restrict the geofence based scene to be run only between sunset and dawn, to avoid turning the lights on during the day.
Then I would add some kind of virtual switch triggered by the scene which manages the light on regular scene. After doing so, I would add a check to the geofence based scene with a logic that the scene won't run if the virtual switch is ON. This check should be performed at the end of the scene period to make sure that you won't turn OFF the lights if the normal schedule kickied in just after the geofence scene was triggered.

Offline Majimus

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Geofencing scene help
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 12:48:20 pm »
There are a couple of ways to do this, the easiest that comes to mind is some lua in the trigger that would return false and not run the scene if the lights are already on.