Author Topic: What Is Happening Here?  (Read 98 times)

Offline MrCCIE

What Is Happening Here?
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:46:41 pm »
Last week I thought I just about had this Vera thing worked out.  Yesterday I knew better and my wife is rather cross with me.  Today I'm hoping someone can help me stop digging this hole!

Here's the setup:

Equipment
- 1x Vera Plus
- 2x Fibaro FGMS-001 (Motion Sensors - both in the basement)
- 1x Aeon ZW080 (Siren) [New Addition]

Scenes
- Scene 1:
  - At 00:00 ARM the motion sensors
- Scene 2:
  - At 06:00 DISARM the motion sensors

Mode Usage
I leave the Vera in "Home" mode all night.

What I *thought* Was Happening

Before the siren was installed, at night I would occasionally get a text message saying that one or the other motion sensor was tripped.  Usually the text would come in at 00:00 - when the "arm" scene runs - and says "Subject: Detected movement in Basement"; this would happen even when I knew that there were no people or animals in the basement, and no AC/heater running. 

I found it annoying because I thought I had two bad sensors.  This continued to occur after the siren was installed too.

A Rude Awakening

I had a very long work day, and ended up bringing my work home and being at it in my basement office until the wee hours of the morning.  I finally finish up and head very quietly out and upstairs, so as to not wake anyone.  As I pass my Fibaro motion sensor I smile at its blue flash of light and don't think about it again.

As I near the top of the stairs, I suddenly begin to hear blaring noise - and so did my wife, two small kids and baby.  As it turns out, once you add a siren into Vera the default action is for it to go off when the motion sensors trip while armed.  That was particularly inconvenient given that I had not yet added it into a scene, so I hadn't expected it to activate - and so had to create a scene just to turn it off while it was alarming in the middle of the night.

The mrs's wasn't too happy about that.

What I Just Don't Get - and Could Use Help With

1. Why is it that I so often got alerts sent to my phone exactly when the "start" scene would trigger at midnight? (there are no notifications set up for it)

2. Why is it that I had, on at least one occasion, received one of those 'movement detected' notifications while I had my siren - without my siren going off?

3. Aside from things moving in the basement, what else can trigger a motion alarm like this?*

*In terms of layout, the area being monitored is a closed, square room with large windows along one side pointing towards our back yard.  There are no trees, bushes or plants within 20 feet of that window, and our fences are something like 7' tall so we don't often get wildlife back there.  The motion sensors are on the walls opposite to the windows and are pointed more or less to the side (not AT the windows).  They are mounted about 4 feet up and are "pointed" horizontally.  If I walk along the wall with the windows the motion sensors do not trip.  The basement thermostat doesn't usually trip; we usually set it high/low enough to only kick on during the hottest few days of summer or coldest few of winter.

Offline Priest

Re: What Is Happening Here?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 07:58:35 am »
Would it be possible for that sensor to have already been tripped by motion and it just had not timed out yet?  I have a motion sensor in my hallway that times out after 15 minutes with my current settings. so once it's tripped it stays tripped for 15 minutes....  I had to add an arming delay on that sensor. When the house goes to away mode I was getting a tripped alert immediately because that sensor was still tripped from me walking out of the house before leaving and driving away.  By adding a delay to it's arming that exceeded the reset time on the sensor it took care of the problem.

Read up on what the setting are to figure out its retrip time and then put an arming delay on it that is longer than that and see if the problem goes away.

As for the siren not going off?  I dont know....dont have one. Wife might shoot me in the face.