Poll

Doc command then reply with status or reply with OK before doing anything else?

(A) Do command and reply with status
17 (85%)
(B) Reply with OK as fast as possible
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Let's talk about when Alexa should reply with OK  (Read 730 times)

Offline jeff3lo

Re: Let's talk about when Alexa should reply with OK
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 03:35:58 pm »
I voted (b) [as fast as possible] because I am using Alexa most of the time for its convenience, not to help me troubleshoot.  I understand most of us a technical and want to know more info / status / data points all the time.  But if I ask Alexa to turn off the light, I will know it doesn't work because I see the light NOT turning off.

Of course, the edge case is, you want to ask Alexa to turn off the upstairs light while you are downstairs, but honestly I see my Vera's device status out of sync at times anyways (aka the light is on but my Vera says off), so can we really trust the Vera status at the end?

In any case, I rather have Alexa acknowledges my request to turn off my light right away, so I can move on with my life (to my tech friends out there, think of it as an async call).  Most of the time, everything will work anyways so this will give us the fastest performance under normal circumstances.

If something doesn't work, I will need to go through an endless night of troubleshooting anyway, but I rather not sacrifice my overall faster response time just to plan for an occasional outage...

My 2 cents...

Offline mcv.vlad

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 01:43:17 pm »

I agree 2 answers would be ideal but that's not supported by Amazon.

I wonder if a toggle for each user to device when to answer OK would be better than have one setting for all.

@mvader - I'm so sorry! I clicked on modify instead of quote and modified your post by mistake.

Offline mvader

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 08:25:52 pm »

I agree 2 answers would be ideal but that's not supported by Amazon.

I wonder if a toggle for each user to device when to answer OK would be better than have one setting for all.

@mvader - I'm so sorry! I clicked on modify instead of quote and modified your post by mistake.

no worries.. stuff happens :)

Offline TMC

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 08:44:30 am »
Is it possible to check the status of a switch, thermostat?