We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: ZigBee RF Remote  (Read 2155 times)

Offline mbairhead

ZigBee RF Remote
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:49:23 pm »
This engadget article has me wondering, could MCV include ZigBee? Possibly a USB antenna of some sort? It just seems like ZigBee is getting a lot of traction and I would be bummed to be this invested in the "Betamax" of home automation.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: ZigBee RF Remote
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:27:54 am »
From what I've seen of Zigbee, it would be possible to integrate.  It's not clear [to me] which standard is really going to win here.  Seems like ZWave has more support in Devices (lighting control, thermostats) and Zigbee has a better broad based support in Power management (Meters).  Of course each has representation in the other space, but they each seem to have their strengths.

Folks have talked of replacing IR for years, still waiting for something real to kick in here.  We've had several players over the past decade...  I have a PS3 with BT and swore it wad going to be the new IR standard... We all know how that worked out :)

Offline JOD

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 03:04:21 am »
HomeSeer supports it so no reason why we can't have it too. I've seen the dongle for sale somewhere for about $100+ but fom what I've read about ZigBee, it's a little bulky either FW or data transmission wise so you know what that means as far as the controller is concerned. A 2 cylinder wont cut it, were gonna need a V8.

JOD.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 03:10:01 am by JOD »
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline kaldoon

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 05:18:49 am »
Someone from the other side of the pond has written a plug-in for Zigbee for HomeSeer - I don't think that Vera2 Appliance device has the horsepower to handle everything everybody is asking of it today - there has been a war going on between the 2 technologies since they came into existence. I know that Z-Wave has 180 + manufacturers with over 400 devices currently. I know that Zigbee is utilized in the Control4 controller and look at it's pricing.

What is the Zigbee standard of the moment - at points it has lived in the 900Mhz range and the 802 standard - who is manufacturing the chips currently and are they the same from manufacturer to manufacturer. Just some questions to ponder  8)