We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Fortrezz water and freeze alarm failed  (Read 12783 times)

Offline CMRancho

Fortrezz water and freeze alarm failed
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:37:04 am »
Question: what's more worthless than a water sensor that doesn't work?

Answer: nothing.

My Fortrezz WWA-01 still shows a battery level of 62 and a temperature of 64 in UI4, but when I opened the water heater closet, I found the sensor sitting in a puddle of water. No alarm. No email notification. Nothing.
Vera123beta; Schlage, Kwikset, TZEMT400; Linksys cams, Smarteye cams, HSM100; Aeon, Everspring, Cooper, Leviton, Intermatic, FortrezZ, Global Caché, USB-UIRT, Somfy, etc.

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
Re: Fortrezz water and freeze alarm failed
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:07:52 am »
Is LastWakeup < 'current time' - Wakeupinterval?

Offline CMRancho

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:24:45 am »
I hesitate to show my stupidity, but I don't even know how to interpret the numbers. 1291637077
Vera123beta; Schlage, Kwikset, TZEMT400; Linksys cams, Smarteye cams, HSM100; Aeon, Everspring, Cooper, Leviton, Intermatic, FortrezZ, Global Caché, USB-UIRT, Somfy, etc.

Offline TheGadgetGuy

• Technology Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 09:36:01 am »
Wow.  That's a really scary thing!  It's bad when relied upon technology fails without warning!

I honestly feel your pain...
"Lots of Z wave switches by various companies", 8 Panasonic IP cameras, 4 Schlage locks, 2 Kwikset locks, 3 Z-wave thermometers, 2 5 button Cooper scene controllers, etc.

Offline Les F

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 10:01:28 am »
A quick way to to convert those numbers is to jump to
http://www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm
or
http://www.epochconverter.com/

Just google unix time conversion
There are a ton of them out there..  
Real geeks convert epoch numbers by hand... I am too old and lazy for that!  ;D

Your time converts to
GMT: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 12:04:37 GMT
Your timezone: Monday, December 06, 2010 7:04:37 AM  (Eastern)

Was thinking about putting an alarm in my hot water heater box at the cabin... Its an enclosed wooden cabinet that holds my on demand hot water heater.  I have 2 lights hooked into a thermostat plug to keep it from freezing.. I got lucky last month. Was down there and no hot water one morning.  Both lights had burned out and it had just started to freeze.  Now you mentioned the freeze alarm failing. I had 2 lights in case one failed, guess I should put in two freeze alarms too??? Man, where does it stop with trying to set up a 'failsafe'.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:05:20 am by Les F »
Google+ http://bit.ly/2MAVlkR / Instagram: http://bit.ly/2lIcsFT / Pinterest http://bit.ly/2KCSYRm (Yes, Pinterest is for guys too! take a look)

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 10:27:24 am »
Excerpt from http://www.fortrezz.com/resources/WWA_manual_01May2009.pdf:
"Your controller may be able to be configured to monitor the WWA-01 wake up notifications. If these stop, then this might be an indication that the battery has died or that transmissions from the WWA-01 are no longer received."

@MCV
Seems to be the same problem as documented at http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=4185.0 ...
Will there be a fix in the near future? If there is no indication on the GUI, that a device is malfunctioning, Vera is quite useless for more serious applications. Please note that the battery level is no reliable indicator. os.time() - LastWakeup <= WakeupInterval must be checked automatically and malfunctioning devices must be flagged on the GUI.

Offline CMRancho

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 10:58:22 am »
Wow, this brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "home automation".

All I have to do is check each device in the overall UI view, then (since I don't believe what I'm seeing there) open each device and scan down the "Advanced" tab until I find "Last Wakeup", then copy the numbers from that field and enter them into an online Unix time converter, then if that time doesn't seem very recent, go to the water heater and check the device visually to see if it's sitting in a pool of water.

Works for me! With only 50 devices or so in my system, this should keep me busy full time but I don't think I'll need to hire someone to help me.

Offline Les F

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 11:18:15 am »

ya know its not that much more code to convert that number to human form in the gui...
anyone want to submit a request for enhancement??

quick and dirty in C where  mytime holds that nasty number...
time_t mytime;
      mytime = time(NULL);
      printf(ctime(&mytime));

the print will give you for example... "Tue Feb 26 09:01:47 2009"

I do agree, having the epoch time is a pita.  I have done the web conversion many a time myself when checking on when something paired up, or reported.  When looking at a gui, even an advanced page times should still be human readable.

But considering what else is on their plate, I would rather see the important stuff get worked off before I gripe too much.  Like the actual bug you discussed earlier in the thread!

Google+ http://bit.ly/2MAVlkR / Instagram: http://bit.ly/2lIcsFT / Pinterest http://bit.ly/2KCSYRm (Yes, Pinterest is for guys too! take a look)

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 12:44:07 pm »
Wow, this brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "home automation".

All I have to do is check each device in the overall UI view, then (since I don't believe what I'm seeing there) open each device and scan down the "Advanced" tab until I find "Last Wakeup", then copy the numbers from that field and enter them into an online Unix time converter, then if that time doesn't seem very recent, go to the water heater and check the device visually to see if it's sitting in a pool of water.

Works for me! With only 50 devices or so in my system, this should keep me busy full time but I don't think I'll need to hire someone to help me.
hahahahaha,  CMRancho has a way with words
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 03:22:13 pm »
time_t mytime;
      mytime = time(NULL);
      printf(ctime(&mytime));

In Lua:

print(os.date('%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S',1291637077))

2010-12-06 13:04:37

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 04:37:27 pm »
@CMRancho

Just use SIKULI (http://sikuli.csail.mit.edu/) ....

A more conventional strategy would be to write some Lua code, which lists all dead devices:

Code: [Select]
local filename = '/etc/cmh/dead_devices.log'

local outf = io.open(filename, 'a')

outf:write(os.date('%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S '..os.time()..'\n'))

for k,v in pairs(luup.devices) do

if (v.device_num_parent == 1) and (not v.invisible)
  then

Capabilities   = luup.variable_get('urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveDevice1','Capabilities', v.udn)

if tonumber(string.match(Capabilities,'([%d]*),')) < 128
    then

WakeupInterval = luup.variable_get('urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveDevice1','WakeupInterval', v.udn)

LastWakeup     = luup.variable_get('urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveDevice1','LastWakeup', v.udn)

if (WakeupInterval ~= nil) and (LastWakeup ~= nil)
      then

age = os.time() - tonumber(LastWakeup)

if age > tonumber(WakeupInterval)
        then

outf:write(v.description..' is dead for '..math.floor(age/3600+0.5)..
                    ' hour(s), WakeupInterval is '..WakeupInterval..' seconds\n')

end

end

end   

end

end

outf:close()

Offline CMRancho

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 07:11:13 pm »
@Ap15e: thanks for what I am quite sure are great suggestions.

Unfortunately, you are making them to a guy who can't even paste in a 2-line snippet of Lua to keep his motion sensor lights from coming on during the day.

I know, I know. What's a guy like me thinking, getting involved in something like Vera?

I'll just have to give up any idea of controlling or protecting anything important with Vera for the present.

Offline gatorbaw

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 08:22:32 pm »
Ranch:  your water sensor is a microcosm of my entire Z-Wave experience.  I don't know whose fault it is, Vera, the router, the sensors, the iPhone or what, but something is constantly wrong with the system.  I don't know what Luau is and I'm not going to find out.  Micasaverde did not mention any of that when I bought this system.  It was just spider to work.    Now that I am several thousand dollars in, what do you do????   Aaargh!

Offline denix

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 08:50:08 pm »
On the other hand, I had my water sensor send me a notification about the water leak, when there was none and it wasn't even beeping...
Veras (1, 2, 3, Lite, Plus), lots of different Z-Wave modules, Luup plugins and theater/security integration.

Offline CMRancho

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 09:16:56 pm »
On the other hand, I had my water sensor send me a notification about the water leak, when there was none and it wasn't even beeping...

Oh yeah, that happened to me a few months ago, too, but I had put it out of my mind. I received a leak notification and had to beg my wife to leave work and drive home to save the house. I was relieved when she called to tell me there was no sign of water leaking, but she was pretty peeved at me and my darned Vera hobby.