Author Topic: My Upgrade Experience-two Vera-Plus from 1.7.1754 to 1.7.3015 on two controllers  (Read 463 times)

Offline additude

I have two controllers in two separate locations and I am updating each one at a time. Each controller is complimented with less than 10 physical hard devices and a few/several apps.

The first controller, I created backups including Z-Wave Network, one backup file before starting the upgrade and when I clicked the button to upgrade, a second backup that was part of the upgrade process. I have two backup files saved to my laptop hard drive.

When I clicked to upgrade, a count up timer box appeared and a blurb about it could take 15 minutes to do the update and that if the controller has not responded in 15 minutes, to unplug the controller (I assume power) and allow it to reboot.

After 15 minutes of no response, I unplugged the power to the controller and rebooted it. After reboot, there was no response from the controller either locally or from the mios server relay which showed the controller as Off-Line. There was also no wireless SSID signal present from the controller. I thought the update had killed the controller.

So I rebooted both the controller and my router and still the controller was not responding. Being as I had other pressing issues I just left the controller plugged in and figured I?d work on this issue at a later time. I left for about 5 hours and when I returned, my controller showed as On-Line via the mios relay login page and when I logged in, I had a blank controller and the Setup Wizard was ready to guide me through a new setup.

At that point, I did a restore of the file that the update process had requested I make and to my surprise, everything is up and working just fine?. so far anyways?.. I didn?t test all things out yet, but I see everything looks the same; just to my surprise, I have an updated controller that I initially thought was dead.

So that is good news. I don?t know exactly what happened while I was away, but patience played in my favor.

I just finished updating my second controller while writing this, which updated just fine and easy like expected. Less than 5 minutes in and the controller rebooted itself. I did not have to restore any backup this time. Everything is as it should be except my edits to LUUP files, which I replaced those with backup .json files and everything is good to go.

Overall, my experience was far less daunting than I expected. There was that blurp on the first controller, which I thought had set the stage for the second controller, but things actually went well.

Now when I use the mios relay to log in I don?t get the painful fail to load issues and then I need to clear cookies to get the page to load. So that is an improvement. I haven?t looked at the Vera App on my iPhone yet. I?m assuming it?s working fine as well.
If you want something that you have never had before, then you are going to have to do something that you have never done before.

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
Hi there,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience. Not sure what may have went wrong with the first controller, but usually it takes more time than mentioned, if the unit has trouble downloading the image file, or the download is corrupted, and attempts to download it a second time. I would say that I would always recommend to leave the unit plugged more than then mentioned 15 minutes, especially if you know the internet connectivity is not that great.

In any case, if you do happen to encounter difficulties in the future, don't hesitate to involve our support team as well, to get things sorted ASAP.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:11:05 am by John M. »
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline chuck1026

Wow, thanks for sharing! I have a VP that Vera Support pushed the Beta Firmware to and it seems bricked from their attempt. I'm going to give your "fix" a try...... I'll plug it in after I get home tonight and update Thursday AM...........

Chuck
Suffering with UI7 / VeraPlus.... Hoping to turn a corner soon.

Offline chuck1026

I tried to SSH into my VeraPlus and succeeded! I called Vera Support and Matteo was very helpful. He asked me to share my PC, then proceeded to use puTTy to SSH in, and it took a while but my VeraPlus is fully operational!!! YAY.

Pretty awesome night. I sent an e-mail to him and the manager to thank them for a job well done.

Shhhh.... I took a lot of screen shots while he was typing in code to load firmware though SSH :) . I may be able to duplicate it.

Very happy.
Suffering with UI7 / VeraPlus.... Hoping to turn a corner soon.

Offline additude

Cool!!

That's Awesome.....
If you want something that you have never had before, then you are going to have to do something that you have never done before.